Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I know this subject has been covered before, but I still have a few questions after reading through previous posts.

I am selling a pin to a fellow Pinsider out of state and want to get him his new game ASAP.

1.) Is there any reason we shouldn't use PayPal Friends and Family? I realize that regular PayPal leaves the seller open to fraud, so we were wondering what the downside to sending via Friends and Family would be?

2.) Bank wire transfer. We both bank at different banks, but thought that a wire transfer might be quick and safe as well. Are there any drawbacks to doing it this way?

3.) Regular bank check. This seems to be the most reliable, but I hate the idea of waiting for the check to clear, which means the buyer won't get his machine ASAP.

Thanks for everyone's help. This is the first time I have shipped a pin and the first time the buyer has had a pin shipped to him.

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi Everyone,
    I know this subject has been covered before, but I still have a few questions after reading through previous posts.
    I am selling a pin to a fellow Pinsider out of state and want to get him his new game ASAP.
    1.) Is there any reason we shouldn't use PayPal Friends and Family? I realize that regular PayPal leaves the seller open to fraud, so we were wondering what the downside to sending via Friends and Family would be?
    2.) Bank wire transfer. We both bank at different banks, but thought that a wire transfer might be quick and safe as well. Are there any drawbacks to doing it this way?
    3.) Regular bank check. This seems to be the most reliable, but I hate the idea of waiting for the check to clear, which means the buyer won't get his machine ASAP.
    Thanks for everyone's help. This is the first time I have shipped a pin and the first time the buyer has had a pin shipped to him.
    Thanks!

If you do PayPal friends and family he could still reverse charges if he pays with a credit card. Not foolproof.

#3 6 years ago

Find an escrow service you both like.

#4 6 years ago

I only take cashiers check.
    I cash it at the bank it was drawn on. Once its cashed the transaction is settled, no going back.
    Most banks will print the check and have it waiting for you over the counter at the branch near you.
    Do not deposit the check. Cash it. Deposit the cash, or not (savings deposit box maybe), at your personal bank.

This what works for me these days, there is just to much fraud.

#5 6 years ago

I've done many long distance transactions for pins (at least 5). Each time, I've just sent bank transfers. Naturally, this was after I'd done my homework and made sure there was no chance of being scammed (i.e. I wouldn't do this with a Kijiji or Craigslist deal, but if it's a fellow pinsider who has been around a while and been able to verify the person is trustworthy/legit then I'd feel confident sending funds via bank transfer). I would stay away from the Paypal issue. What would happen if in the process of shipping the pin got destroyed (it's happened!), then the individual could possibly try to reverse the charge through a dispute with Paypal. Once the cash is in your account, it's in your account and no going back.

#6 6 years ago

Wire transfer is quick and safe. Or cashier's check can be overnighted but usually cost alot (75 dollars from mass to Colorado)

#7 6 years ago

I like to send a personal check and cut out all the money grubbing middle men.

#8 6 years ago

Keep it simple....cash or wire...end of story...all other options are too risky...

#9 6 years ago

I've been curious how well Zelle works for this sort of thing provided both banks support it. Anyone use it? I've only used it for transfers between my wife and i and it seems to work well.

#10 6 years ago

If you are 110% sure you can trust a private seller: Wire transfer

Otherwise for long distance private sellers the ONLY way to go is a good Escrow service or cash in hand to pick it up.........

With dealers/distributors obviously credit card is an option as well....

#11 6 years ago

If you want a quick way to get paid when the buyer trusts the seller but the seller doesn't trust the buyer:

Have a bank check sent to you from a bank that has a branch in both towns AND one the seller doesn't have an account in. Get the check sent overnight and the buyer will go to that bank to cash it. There is no waiting for the check to clear and the seller doesn't have to give up there account number.

Mike V

#12 6 years ago

The only safe way to do it is Escrow.com

#13 6 years ago

If neither of you has a reputation you really have 2 choices, cash or escrow.

If one of you trusts the other that opens up other options.

#14 6 years ago

Follow Vid's advice. Escrow.com

#15 6 years ago

Escrow. Don't be the next "I got scammed" thread

#16 6 years ago

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

I will update after the pin has sold and let everyone know what worked for us.

Thanks again!

#17 6 years ago

Wire transfer is very safe from sellers standpoint, it's irreversible once it hits your account. Buyer assumes all risk. No PayPal.

#18 6 years ago

I'm the buyer of the pin in question. I ended up sending a wire transfer. I trusted Paul after having a few conversations with him on the phone. If I had had any inkling of suspicion I would have opted for an escrow service. Like that time some person was trying to sell a Monster Bash for $5000, but that's a story for another time.

I set up delivery with Michelle at Beltman and I received pictures of the pin - which was packed incredibly - on it's way.

I already left feedback for the sale, but I would buy another pin from Paul in a heartbeat. He went way above and beyond to make this an easy transaction and I can't wait to get my modded Metallica Pro!!!

2 weeks later
    #19 6 years ago

Is there any reason as a buyer not to use PayPal? The gentleman I'm trying to buy from didn't seem into the escrow thing. Also, he's only been a member on here for a short while but the machine is nice and decent price. It will need to be shipped though. I personally liked the escrow thing.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from brody:

Is there any reason as a buyer not to use PayPal? The gentleman I'm trying to buy from didn't seem into the escrow thing. Also, he's only been a member on here for a short while but the machine is nice and decent price. It will need to be shipped though. I personally liked the escrow thing.

Pay pal is like all things web based - the wild west.
    I've used it - but I also know those who have lost thousands when Pay Pal was hacked... in 2012 I believe.

Major bank check (Wells Fargo, Bank of America ilk), Walmart money order, or USPostalServ money orders ($1,000 max - must use multiple orders for more $$$)...are the best way to go.

#21 6 years ago

I'm not really worked about the hack. Unfortunately, that is the new norm. I'm just specifically interested in protection as a buyer from fraud.

#22 6 years ago

Just in case anyone missed it. Vid posted the what if's and potential risks with each forms of payments. I don't do a lot of pinball sales but if I had any inkling of doubt in a buyer I would use Escrow.

In 2 sales where I bought, I sent a personal check. The one sale from Teekee, he amazingly cross shipped the pin to me. We had spoke a few times on phone and is a great guy to buy from.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collecting-payment-for-shipping-pin?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.