Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stooges (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 9.19.31 PM (resized).png
IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
IMG_20161108_082455 (resized).jpg
SpinalTap_DontLook (resized).jpg
09A4DFA5-071A-4347-849C-1D45E3AA09BF-193-000000096B1C307D_tmp (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK, let's rank the hobbyists!
1. Players With Skills - just like me (shocker!). Yes, I am the best kind of hobbyist, of course - I started buying games because I love playing, I'm a good player, and I have the skills to refurbish both EM and Digital games, and I love both kinds. I'm not anal and I don't get off on how "mint" your cheesy cookie cutter collection is. Truly, I am the standard by which all other hobbyists should be judged. An interesting collection of games that play well is what I consider an impressive collection.
2. Restorers - I gotta admit, I have mad respect for those with the patience and skills to restore games to like new. It's just not something I could fathom doing.
2. Collectors with no money (or money and taste) and some skills - I respect these guys because they don't get caught up in the rat race, and realize that a collection with some EMs, a High Speed, and a Black Rose are just as good as anybody else's. You aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and work on a game. You can't play but hey we can't all be me.
4. Collectors with money and skills. Your collection is boring and cookie cutter but at least you can fix your own games. Maybe you can't play too well either but hey we can't all be me.
5. Collectors with money and no skills. Ok, we are getting lame territory here. Great, you are a newbie with money. You can't play for shit, you can't maintain or work on your own games. You are just buying games and basing your "taste" on the pinside 100. Consumption and showing off as a hobby, and very little curiosity about the game, its history, or a collection beyond the "big names."
There's plenty of room in between all these things but it's my basic holier-than-thou sliding scale.
How about you guys? Let's get pretentious up in here!

You forgot to add 6. Collectors with some money some skills and NO time - those collectors end up with a garage full of project pins, some half disassembled, and lots of dreams about how good their collection will look once they fix it all up. In the more extreme version it's called hoarders

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I think the term "player" can mean a lot of different things. I, personally, am finding myself solidly falling in the casual/home player... more and more I find myself disagreeing with game assessments and recommendations coming from tournament players. These two kinds of players look at games so differently..

Couldn't agree more. I once had a roommate who was an expert quadruple black diamond skier. When I was packing up for a ski trip with my rented/dented skis to go down some blue dot intermediate slopes he told me he was jealous. I asked why and he said that at his level of skiing he was down in less than 2 minutes and there were no challenges left other than those that might imperil him. For me though I could enjoy a lazy stroll down the mountain and have a great time. He eventually gave up downhill for cross country skiing. I figure if I ever got too good at actually playing pinball it would eventually become boring. So I enjoy my mediocrity and my mostly no ramp no DMD pins

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 209.00
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collecting-and-playing-pinball-the-rift-has-widened?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.