Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stooges (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 9.19.31 PM (resized).png
IMG_1970 (resized).JPG
IMG_20161108_082455 (resized).jpg
SpinalTap_DontLook (resized).jpg
09A4DFA5-071A-4347-849C-1D45E3AA09BF-193-000000096B1C307D_tmp (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

SO I was just thinking about how much I love pinball. And I DO love pinball. A lot. I know when I first got into the hobby about 3 years ago I was pretty heavily involved in fixing and 'restoring' machines. Not so much restoring but buying cheap broken dirty games and getting them up and running as best I could. That was an aspect I enjoyed a lot in the beginning. But slowly I started getting frustrated with always having a project game, always having something that needed cleaned or a game that didn't work. Now we all know pinball dictates that some time needs to be set aside for repair and cleaning. Things get dirty and break. But I want to be spending at least MOST of my pinball time ( and my time is limited...sigh) PLAYING pinball.

So when I start looking at the divide that exists between playing and collecting pinball it seemed while there was a divide that some what it was still a bridgeable gap.

That said with these $10K, $15K, and $30k machines popping up it seems like PLAYING has become less and less important to collectors. Just an observation. I will admit that early on I wasn't HUGE into the competitive scene. But more and more because I like playing more than I do collecting, modding, or fixing that scene has become the one I differ to.

I get how cool it is to have something few people have or to have the best one. But if you have a game that you can't play or can only play 4 times a year, are you even a pinball machine collector? Or are you just collecting life-sized pinball art?

(-Original topic title and content restored by moderator: please do not alter the complete content of a topic / opening post once a topic is actively being posted to-)

#3 7 years ago

There is no be all and end all category for everyone I know. But I have felt that as someone who above all likes to PLAY when you start to talk playing, especially when you are on a podcast, people start to complain and say you are all tournament talk and give you grief.

#25 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the discussion. This is the Pinside I love.

#43 7 years ago

Well. I have a really busy work schedule. Then I have two kids. One is 9 one is 18 months. So they require attention. Then I'm married so I have to keep that going. Then things break. So that needs fixed. Then things need cleaned.

And that's just the week. On the weekend we have activities and bigger projects.

So when that is all said and done I have about 2 hours a week to play or repair.

So yeah I'm short on time.

Quoted from o-din:

There are 168 hours in a week of which you probably only need 35-40 of for sleep. So that leaves over 120 hours.
If you are not lazy or waste too many hours at a job, that leaves plenty of time. This my time is limited sounds like a lame excuse to not get things done that you want done.

#44 7 years ago

Also I down voted your comment because you assumed that I have the whole 120 hours to play Pinball. I said my Pinball time is limited. Which is about 2 hours a week. So just because you have 114 hours open doesn't mean I do.

Quoted from o-din:

There are 168 hours in a week of which you probably only need 35-40 of for sleep. So that leaves over 120 hours.
If you are not lazy or waste too many hours at a job, that leaves plenty of time. This my time is limited sounds like a lame excuse to not get things done that you want done.

#47 7 years ago

I agree. As the hobby and game grows the rift is widening all around.

Quoted from 27dnast:

I think the term "player" can mean a lot of different things. I, personally, am finding myself solidly falling in the casual/home player... more and more I find myself disagreeing with game assessments and recommendations coming from tournament players. These two kinds of players look at games so differently..

#74 7 years ago

I feel this thread is turning negative and generally showing me why the great purge is necessary

#76 7 years ago

Glad I we have the ignore feature. Anyway, back to the topic.

In general I guess what I was getting at is we are full entering into an age where high end collecting is manufacturer supported. We can now buy those high end pins.

And when you spend that much money or they end up in homes that don't see plays the rift widens.

Someone said it before but there are so many pins for sale with less than 200 plays or NIB. That does not show a player's world. At least not here.

#77 7 years ago

Maybe I'm right. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm just tired of trying to talk about one thing and then getting derailed to how I spend my time.

I know that many of you are good people. But some of you just feel entitled.

I was bullied a lot as a kid. And I'm sick of people stepping in.

I'm attaching a picture of myself. If you see me at a show or whatever come up to me and we'll talk. I'm just tired people hiding behind thier screens.

Peace out.

IMG_20161108_082455 (resized).jpgIMG_20161108_082455 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 209.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 22.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collecting-and-playing-pinball-the-rift-has-widened?tu=agodfrey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.