Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

undertankheater.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

OK,I know pinball machines are supposed to be at room temp.I have four machines in the house,but every once in a while I want to play one of my others that are in an unheated garage.Man oh man......the garage kept machines sure do strange things when I power them up.Lost memory,no sounds,won't eject a ball into the shooter lane.etc.Anyone else have these cold weather symptoms??Hope they go away come warm weather. Come on Spring........

#2 10 years ago

how "cold" of weather are you talking?

it's -21F here in lovely central Wisconsin today.

i would say not to play anything when it is under 45 in the room. i know that electronics like to be cold, but the liquids that are in the displays, capacitors, batteries, etc are not as friendly to truly cold temperatures.

update your location so we can see what you consider to be "cold" playing conditions.

#3 10 years ago

Well where do you live? How cold does it get in the garage? You must be new here, Welcome.

#4 10 years ago

Pins in unheated garages can suffer from corrosion and a list of other bad things!

#5 10 years ago

Pins kept in the freezing garage usually develop planking in the playfield surface.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pins kept in the freezing garage usually develop planking in the playfield surface.

What side effects if any in really hot temperatures?

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

What side effects if any in really hot temperatures?

We had a show here in town when it was in the hundreds. No AC in the building & the games would reset out of no where. Not sure what would happen if one sat there for months or years. I'd guess paint flaking on backglass's & plastics warping.

#8 10 years ago

I was wondering about this too, not because I have pins out in an unheated garage, but just in terms of moving them. Is there any concern with having a pin in the back of a truck for a number of hours in very cold weather (around 0°F)?

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

We had a show here in town when it was in the hundreds. No AC in the building & the games would reset out of no where.

I've been to the PHOF on days where it felt like it was 100+ in there.

#10 10 years ago

Ack. I think we need a new designation. I don't care about "HUO", I want to know if a pin is "RTO"... Regulated Temperature Only.

#11 10 years ago

I got a Gottlieb Spring break in my detached garage. It has no PF glass on it and it is going below -10 today and tomorrow.

Oh well LOL

#12 10 years ago

Planking on the playfield is the biggest concern. If it has a backglass, the paint can crack and fall off of that too. A pin *can* be destroyed by temps below about 40 degrees F. I still hear stories of games enduring extreme conditions that come out fine, but it's always a risk. Generally, powering up any electronic device in low temperatures is bad news due to condensation. I only leave vids in my garage over the winter, but I don't ever turn them on until the temp rises.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I got a Gottlieb Spring Break in my detached garage. It has no PF glass on it and it is going below -10 today and tomorrow.
    Oh well LOL

AHHHH Don't let that happen to spring break!!! Greatest game ever!

#14 10 years ago

I had my Solar City in an unheated storage place here in Edmonton. I had it wrapped in a thick moving blanket covered over with a thick plastic cover. It was in there over 2 years, with -30 degrees Celsius and colder temperatures. The humidity in this region is very low. It survived, 3 years ago in the spring I got it set up again in the house. I had a backglass from a Segasa Monte Carlo in the same place. It was in with some boxes, and it ended up with cracking in the art work. Having acces to heated, or warm storage is much better.

Rapid changes in humidity, and temperature, will certianly effect the machine. Like any electronic device let it warm up slowly, before plugging it in.

#15 10 years ago

I service some pins in a biker clubhouse that is unheated during the week.

I leave a reptile heating mats inside the cabs to keep the games from freezing and planking.

Just a low, constant gentle heat - works great.

#16 10 years ago

I live just north of Albany,NY.Night time temps here have been between zero and 5 below most of last week.Highs during the day have been in the teens.Unheated garage is probably maybe 25 during the day.Got a hot air furnace out there,but the #2 fuel oil gelled up.I've gotta get more of my pins into the house before next Winter.

#17 10 years ago

Today it is -5 F here in northern, IL with -25 F windchill.

If you can't afford to keep your extra pins in temperature controlled environment, then you probably should not be buying pins. Keep them out of the cold. Keep them out of the sun.

That kind of neglect is destroying them.

Call me picky but I wouldn't even ship a pin through this cold weather. I waited for a warm day (30 F) to pick up my STLE and kept it in my heated van during the trip. I cringe when I hear of people hauling pins in a pickup truck in this kind of weather.

#18 10 years ago

If you are going to keep an older game with a painted backglass in a non-temperature controlled environment, you should probably at least remove the backglass and store it somewhere else.

#19 10 years ago

Above 50 when played, above 40 when stored is my general rule.

#20 10 years ago

No issues at all here in N. Ca with keeping pins in an unheated garage, but then again we don't (usually) have below freezing winters.

No matter what room you are in, that room is at room temperature - Steven Wright.

#21 10 years ago

Easy solution

undertankheater.JPGundertankheater.JPG
    #22 10 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

No matter what room you are in, that room is at room temperature - Steven Wright.

Love that guy.

I bought some powdered water... I didn't know what to add.

#23 10 years ago

I keep some of my pins in the garage, 55-60 degrees with about 40% humidity
    Temp changes are gradual

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

Love that guy.
    I bought some powdered water... I didn't know what to add.

"My mother was on vacation and sent me postcard with a picture of planet earth signed "I wish you were here"

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

"My mother was on vacation and sent me postcard with a picture of planet earth signed "I wish you were here"

I went on vacation once. My boss asked me how long I was going to be gone. 'The whole time' I said.

#26 10 years ago

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Someone make a Steven Wright pin lol. The quotes would be epic.

#27 10 years ago

One more

"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I service some pins in a biker clubhouse that is unheated during the week.
    I leave a reptile heating mats inside the cabs to keep the games from freezing and planking.
    Just a low, constant gentle heat - works great.

How do you route the power cord out of the cab?

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Just leave the coin door open if people aren't playing it I would guess?

#30 10 years ago

Couldnt you just plug it in to the service outlet?

#31 10 years ago

"Why is the alphabet in that order?"

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Use the service outlet.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Unless it has been modified, the service outlet provides power even if the game is off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cold-temps-and-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.