8%
  • Other 55 votes
    66%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

It all comes down to personal preference but your cheapest and most customizable option would be just to make a list and order the bulbs individually and get exactly the colors/style for what you like. The kits are obviously predetermined by whoever put them together but don't really give you any flexibility to personalize the game (and typically cost more).

Non ghosting bulbs are typically used in inserts to prevent the ghosting effects that can happen. You wouldn't really need them for GI lighting.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well take a look at what what types of bulbs you need, is it a mix of 44s & 555s?
Take that info and go to Comet, and go to the bulk section and order warm white 50 or 100 packs. Then you don't have to sit around and try to make a list of what colors where blah blah (although you might have to get a few specific if it has exposed colored bulbs above ramps or something g like that).
Never buy a kit.
Don't know how much fading there is in BTTF so don't know if an OCD LED is needed.

This is probably a great way to start. If you want to use colors in the inserts or different brightness/colors/styles in the game you could always order a few of each you are thinking about and just see how they look.

When I LEDed my first game I ordered a few of the different whites for the GI and ended up liking cool white the best and now I just use that for all my games in the GI but alot of it just boils down to what you like and want the game to look like. Lights are easy to swap so you can experiment and change pretty easily if you want to see what different options look like.

Also +1 for Comet.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I'm not sure that's always true. To me, I perceive a considerable amount of extra "pop" when using clear domes for inserts. If it's a larger insert (like in your pic) I agree though. I'm experimenting with using 4SMD bulbs (no dome) for the larger inserts on my WCS '94 -- we'll see how that turns out.

I usually go clear dome, color matched on the inserts on my games as well, but I think it all just boils down to experimenting and personal preference. OP, mess with some and see what you like!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Hey guys, so as a general rule of thumb...do you guys buy colored LEDs to match the insert color? Or do you just use white and let the color of the insert take care of the color. I know its user preference, but just wondering which is more common.

I color match usually with the exception of yellow as they never tend to look as bright as I want (personal taste) with clear domes. It is a bit more expensive to use the colored bulbs but I prefer the look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-vs-pinballbulb?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.