8%
  • Other 55 votes
    66%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

I recently bought my first pinball, Baywatch. Like many said, I went with Comet frosted 2SMD cool white. I bought 100 wedge and 50 bayonet. Ordered like 10-20 each of colors to match inserts. Didn’t bother with replacing flashers. I had three bulbs that were ghosting so I placed another order to replace those along with more blue for some GI locations around the playfield. Super happy with the result and saved a lot of money versus buying a kit. And have lots of bulbs leftover for the next pinball.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

To each their own but when I was new I cheaped out and ended up paying for two sets for a machine. I have also purchased multiple machine that the previous owner cheaped out and then I replaced the whole set. Also I stupidly did not throw the ghosting bulbs in the garbage when I should have and used them by mistake only to have to start the task over again. In my experience it cost more in both time and money, just pay the extra up front and save the hassle. Pinballers don't let pinballers buy bulbs that ghost.

A non-ghosting bulb isn't better than a regular bulb, it just has a resistor to suck up the loose voltage. I wasn't saying people should buy cheap bulbs, just that using all ghosting bulbs is an unnecessary expense.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You can't go wrong with either...

Well you can get dumb colored GI and spend more monies for it...I think that's what we are calling wrong.

#55 4 years ago

I thought you were, "Flow"?

Just watching the discussion.....

Lets yank the thread out about building LEDs for a Nickel!

#56 4 years ago

I was new to LEDs a while back and understand your confusion. It can be somewhat daunting to know what to buy. There is a lot to know when going with LEDs.

After doing some research and some experimenting I use the following on my solid state pins:

Clear dome 2SMDs for inserts, color matched except for the yellow and orange inserts where I use cool white. Cool white 2SMD LEDs for clear inserts. I always buy one or two extra of each color because I inevitably count wrong and miss an insert. Be thorough and careful when counting each color that you will need for the inserts and you won't need to order extras.

Frosted dome 2SMD LEDS for the GI. Cool white LEDs have a hint of blue in them. Warm white and sunlight LEDs have the more traditional look of incandescents and are more toward the yellow side of the color spectrum.

Since you are just starting out, I would keep it simple and go with cool white for the GI if you want bright or sunlight for the GI if you want a more yellow, traditional look. If you are an experimenter, like I am, then buy a few color coordinated LEDs to match the playfield and see if you like them. It's a matter of personal preference though. You might want to look up some pictures of playfields with different colors of LEDS to get some idea what you like best, but seeing LEDs in person is very different than seeing them in pictures. LEDs 'pop' when you see them and the camera doesn't pick this up well.

I experimented with some color GI and sunlight LEDs with Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man and like how it turned out, but you don't want to go crazy with the colored LEDs above the playfield (general illumination or GI)!! I went with cool whites on Harlem Globetrotters and I like that look too. Very bright!

I like Comet LEDs. Their cool white LEDs are really bright and do a good job of lighting up the playfield and really 'pop' when used under clear inserts.

Check this out:
https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/how-to-buy-pinball-leds

There used to be some cheaper 39 cent LEDs on the market, non SMD. Avoid these; they are junk. Just stick with Comet and you will be fine.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Hey guys, so as a general rule of thumb...do you guys buy colored LEDs to match the insert color? Or do you just use white and let the color of the insert take care of the color. I know its user preference, but just wondering which is more common.

Common rule is color match except warm white in yellow and orange inserts.

You might want to look into whether Data East games have issues with leds. Some games have flicker problems and ghosting (leds never fully turn off). Flickering can be fixed for most B/W games by turning off dimming. Ghosting can be fixed with non-ghosting bulbs or ocd boards. I'm not sure what options you have with BTTF, though.

#58 4 years ago

Thank you guys for all your feedback! This forum rocks!

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Comet LEDs and LEDOCD

This ^^^

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Thank you guys for all your feedback! This forum rocks!

Let us know when game 2 comes!

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs-100-packs
Cool white, frosted dome. I put these in everything, GI and inserts.

Same, but I use Sunlight. Cool whites can be a little on the blue side and make yellow inserts appear a little green.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Common rule is color match except warm white in yellow and orange inserts.
You might want to look into whether Data East games have issues with leds. Some games have flicker problems and ghosting (leds never fully turn off). Flickering can be fixed for most B/W games by turning off dimming. Ghosting can be fixed with non-ghosting bulbs or ocd boards. I'm not sure what options you have with BTTF, though.

I have so many yellow LEDs from before I learned this. A yellow bulb under a yellow inserts seems like it would make sense, but it's really a waste and generally dimmer than what an incandescent bulb is. Orange is that way also to a degree, but not nearly as bad as the yellow is.

So good advice on using the warm white LEDs under yellow and orange inserts. If you use cool white instead of warm white it will make the yellow insert color off (greenish I believe).

#63 4 years ago

The notes about actual yellow/orange LEDs makes sense! Ill go with a warm white for those. Thank you!

2 weeks later
#65 4 years ago

Anyone know how to get in touch with ANYONE at Pinballbulbs.com? The TAFG I just picked up came with a complete LED kit from them and I really need to know if their stock TAF kit comes with ghosting or non-ghosting LEDs (not to mention the kit was wrong but that's a different issue) and I can't seem to reach them via a PM here or their website...

Thanks,
Jeff

#66 4 years ago

I like cointaker bulbs. Have had too many issues with Comet bulbs. Done with them.

Also to mention, I had some color changing bulbs from Comet for inserts that wouldnt work correctly. Tried Cointakers and they worked fine... Not sure why.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

...I had some color changing bulbs from Comet....

Oh boy.

#68 4 years ago

haha yes, I like color on my games. The Walking Dead was too boring stock.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Anyone know how to get in touch with ANYONE at Pinballbulbs.com? The TAFG I just picked up came with a complete LED kit from them and I really need to know if their stock TAF kit comes with ghosting or non-ghosting LEDs (not to mention the kit was wrong but that's a different issue) and I can't seem to reach them via a PM here or their website...
Thanks,
Jeff

Their Facebook page. I talk to them regularly there.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I like cointaker bulbs. Have had too many issues with Comet bulbs. Done with them.
Also to mention, I had some color changing bulbs from Comet for inserts that wouldnt work correctly. Tried Cointakers and they worked fine... Not sure why.

Would love to know more about this. I’m guessing they were the LED style which we’ve discontinued due to complaints in inserts specifically. Haven’t heard any problems about the SMD style. I’d be happy to send you some or refund you for the others. PM me to discuss.

All LED style bulbs of ours are discontinued...it’s an older tech that just wasn’t holding up well enough for everyone.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I'm from the competition, but maybe I can help. Their kit does come with non-ghosting bulbs.

We've got our own kit so it'll be easy to help figure out what's wrong with yours. PM me. (My first guess is maybe the backbox...as I believe there were two different kinds of sockets used at some point during production. Or, maybe TAFG has some subtle differences I'm not aware of?)

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I'm from the competition, but maybe I can help. Their kit does come with non-ghosting bulbs.
We've got our own kit so it'll be easy to help figure out what's wrong with yours. PM me. (My first guess is maybe the backbox...as I believe there were two different kinds of sockets used at some point during production. Or, maybe TAFG has some subtle differences I'm not aware of?)

Thank you!!! Very helpful to know. I was only asking since the OCD LED/GI boards work "best" with ghosting LEDs but it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme...

Thanks,
Jeff

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I was only asking since the OCD LED/GI boards work "best" with ghosting LEDs but it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme...

I think OCD LED specifically calls for non ghosting bulbs?

Ah I see...just more flexibility

"What if I already have non-ghosting bulbs?
Standard LEDs will give the OCD board more direct control over the LEDs, but you can still use non-ghosting bulbs with some minor restrictions."

#74 4 years ago

A bit late to this- having gotten bulbs from the poll vendors as well as comet, I'm a hands down fan of comet. and as other suggested, don't go with the kits.

#75 4 years ago

Per most people’s suggestions, I ended up going with Comet and couldn’t be happier! They have been very responsive, polite, and accommodating. I highly recommend them!

Jim

#76 4 years ago

Yeah, I have tried a couple and settled on Comet as the best value for the quality. Will be using them for all my restos going forward.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-vs-pinballbulb/page/2?hl=aflacjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.