Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I've adjusted the weights on this Cointaker Spike shaker motor to a 180 degree offset, and cranked all the bolts down tight (including the long screw between the sides of the bracket) but the motor is really rattly. What are some ways I can make it not rattle so much? Could I put some kind of foam or cushion between it and the bottom of the cabinet before screwing it down? Or is the rattle coming from the motor itself, and I'm just stuck with it?

#3 7 years ago

I sent them a message, but I expect they won't be able to do anything. Their product seems to work exactly as advertised. The Red Tremor is for people who want 60% more rad in their shake. I can't handle this level of intensity.

#7 7 years ago

Already checked that. I also tried cranking on that tightening screw up top. If only it were that easy.

#9 7 years ago

The effect was just where it needed to be, I think. The noise, however, persists no matter what position the weights are in. I think this thing is just too powerful for its job. I mean, does anyone really need a 5 horsepower garbage disposal in their home sink?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I toned my way down by off setting the counterweights. 0 deg offset = max shake, 180 deg offset = ~zero shake. I think I wound up at 135 deg. Perfect for me. No rattles. I do love the effect.

I'm glad yours is working.

#15 7 years ago

Yeah, I tried that as well. This thing just has too much power for its application.

#17 7 years ago

So you didn't see either of the videos I posted, then?

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#19 7 years ago

That thread has people who blew their Node boards with that device. That may or may not be related to the capacitor that used to be soldered onto certain aftermarket motors. I'm not willing to take that chance.

It sounds like nobody has a workable solution for calming this thing down. I'll just order a different motor, and write this off as a loss.

#21 7 years ago

It's possible that I'm a terrible communicator.

I'm not concerned about the shaking. It's more or less fine at 180 degrees. In fact, it doesn't need any more shake than it has right now. The problem is the noise it makes. Watch the videos I posted, and you'll see. The noise is clearly coming from the mech itself, and attaching it to the cabinet is only amplifying it.

This thing says it spins at 4000 RPM. That's 66 times per second, which seems ridiculous to me. If I didn't know better, I'd say that CoinTaker sourced the wrong motors and are trying to make up for it by marketing them as EXTREME PINBALL SHAKING ACTION. No thanks.

I've already ordered a replacement motor, so there's no reason for me to mess with this anymore. I'll sell it to anyone who wants it for 50 bucks and shipping.

#24 7 years ago

That's surprising. I would argue that your motors are the ones that don't perform as designed. This video from CoinTaker themselves shows how loud and vibratory this thing is. It sounds like a lawn mower.

I tried getting in contact with them through their website, but have yet to hear anything back from them. It doesn't matter, though, since as I've said in the very post you quoted, I've already ordered a replacement. It'll be here today. Unless Melissa is willing to provide a full refund, I doubt there's anything she's going to be able to do for me.

#25 7 years ago

As an epilogue, the shaker motor from Pinball Life is just what I was looking for. The shake is much less jarring, and it's not nearly as loud.

If you fancy having a chainsword motor in your pinball machine, go with CoinTaker. The rest of us can be happy with Pinball Life's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-spike-shaker-motor-rattle?tu=UvulaBob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.