sling-flasher.jpg
photo_(16).JPG
photo_(12).JPG
photo_(15).JPG
photo_(11).JPG
photo_(13).JPG
photo_(14).JPG

#1 10 years ago

After watching Black Rose's youtube video where he installed these on his BSD, I thought they might be cool on an older game like Firepower to give it a little bit more of a light show.

Black Rose's video

Cointaker Page (I used the red ones)
http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=172

Since Firepower has only two flashers mounted under the FIRE and POWER inserts which fire at the start of multiball or at the completion of the upper rollovers and the POWER targets, there's not much of a show. I'm sure this was impressive in 1980 and still looks cool but I just wanted to give it a little more punch.

For the sling shots I could only fit two of the three posts. The center and bottom one. The GI light next to the top post does not give enough room to fit the leads and wires without going into the play area. That leads to another problem. If you do one post that mounts an artwork plastic, you gotta do both or it's uneven. Sooo, we have just one on the center post which is tied into the sling coil and flashes when the sling fires. Not as bright as I'd like but it's still noticeable. Especially in the dark.

For the pop's I also did the same thing. Tied one post mounted flasher into the nearest bumper which lights when the bumper fires. These are more noticeable and very cool.

For the FIRE and POWER flashers I tied in four of these post flashers and mounted them behind the six center targets under the posts that mount the artwork plastics. So two on each side under the outer posts. The center post is the adjoining pop bumper flash. Of note the wiring for the flashers is reversed. One side the positive goes to the tip lug and the other side has the negative attached to the tip lug. I guess I could have just attached them all to one side since the flashers will only fire together but, I thought, putting two on each was more symmetrical and looked cleaner.

At six bucks a piece they're not cheap but Cointaker did throw in two extras in case any weren't working. Fortunately, they all were and I used all ten. Also, the Pinside discount is nice too. Sorry, no video but here's some pics. I used 22 gauge solid strand for easy installation. Note, keep your solder temp down. With as thin and light as these are, it's probably easy to damage the mounts.

photo_(14).JPGphoto_(14).JPG photo_(13).JPGphoto_(13).JPG

#2 10 years ago

More pics

photo_(11).JPGphoto_(11).JPG photo_(15).JPGphoto_(15).JPG photo_(12).JPGphoto_(12).JPG

#3 10 years ago

One more

photo_(16).JPGphoto_(16).JPG

#4 10 years ago

impressive

7 months later
#5 10 years ago

Wow that must look great. So you have some triggered by the sling coils and some by the flashers. Top man.

#6 10 years ago

Nice Job! Great Product from Great People!

I appreciate the pics, etc....you have shared.

#7 10 years ago

Would love to see a video, on my list of mods for my firepower, thanks for sharing!

#8 10 years ago

Made this one last night

#9 10 years ago

Great lights. Thanks for the video and for the slo mo shots score yourself a 5x Bonus.

#10 10 years ago

Gotta get a video of these flashers!

#11 10 years ago

Installed these on a ST Pro..................looks great.

#12 10 years ago

Just installed these on Bad Cats, and have the lights ready to be added to 8 more pins I used clear posts with colored LED's. Adds a nice touch and I totally recommend it.

3 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

If you use the Bright White Post Flashers on the red posts they look awesome. Did two with orange flashers on the red posts and not to impressive. Installed 8 flashers on my firepower and love them. Plan on doing a few more.

#14 9 years ago

Looks great. Nice feature add. BR's BSD looks pretty damn sweet!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

» YouTube video
Made this one last night

OK First of all that was an awesome video. Do you use a camera slider?

4 weeks later
#16 9 years ago

The post flashers used on my Firepower.

#17 9 years ago

I just ordered some red post flashers. How many flashers did you install on each sling-shot? Looks like just one... If so, did you add a small washer under the other posts to make even?
Also, could you be kind and share some wiring advise.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I just ordered some red post flashers. How many flashers did you install on each sling-shot? Looks like just one... If so, did you add a small washer under the other posts to make even?
Also, could you be kind and share some wiring advise.

First of all, your going to be sorely disappointed with the red flashers under a red post. They won't be very bright. Mine are bright white flashers. I installed 2 per sling. under the two bottom post. I know it's a pretty crappy video but if you play it again you will see the 2 flashers. If your doing a firepower, I just wired them two the sling coil. one wire to each side of the two outer coil lugs.. Didn't post a video, but I also put in a flasher behind and on each side of the stand up targets and two more farther up the playfield. These 4 total are wired to the pop bumper coils. pretty cool effect.
Jack

#19 9 years ago

Cool.. I'm terrified of any soldiering. If this works, I'm thinking of getting some under cabinet LEDs.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I'm terrified of any soldiering.

Get a decent temperature-controlled soldering iron and dive in. If I can learn, anyone can. The only tool I owned when I got my first pinball machine was a single screwdriver. Clay's guides and RGP taught me everything I know.

#21 9 years ago

I haven't stepped up yet to a better temp controlled soldering iron. But my 15/30 watt iron from radio shack works just fine. Someday I'll upgrade... Not in a hurry.

2 weeks later
#22 9 years ago

OK, I'm going to try this. However, before I solder is this correct?

Flasher - left is positive (red) and right is negative (black)
Sling shot coil - I connect the red to red and black to black...?

sling-flasher.jpgsling-flasher.jpg

pos-neg.jpgpos-neg.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Yepper. you got it right..

#24 9 years ago

hmmm. Its not flashing. If I connect the post light to a GI connection, it lights. But the sling will not make it flash.

#25 9 years ago

i am not sure that those are designed to flash, only light off the GI or 5V max. looks to be two 130 ohm resistors on there so 5/260 is 19ma higher voltage and you will likely ruin it.

#26 9 years ago

Mine are hooked to the slings by the flippers and flash just fine. Stupid question, but.. you are physically activating the slingshot right? They won't flash or light until you hit the sling.

#27 9 years ago

Oh i did look on their site and they say 12V constant or 20V flash. You would think they would ship with a simple instruction diagram or have detailed install instructions on site. Don't know. Contact them, i hear nothing but good things. It is a holiday weekend though. Good luck.

#28 9 years ago

You got these from cointaker? They are the best as far as I'm concerned. Love there leds. Also I was sent 1 defective one, called them, no problem. Sent me a new one plus an extra one just for good measure. Great people.
Jack

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Oh i did look on their site and they say 12V constant or 20V flash. You would think they would ship with a simple instruction diagram or have detailed install instructions on site. Don't know. Contact them, i hear nothing but good things. It is a holiday weekend though. Good luck.

Yes, Cointaker. Yea, I wish there was a simple photo or directions on how to wire these post flashers. Let me expand this:

How do you wire Post Flashers with PF Flashers or Coil?
How do you wire under cabinet LEDs to Flashers or Coils?
How do you wire GI LEDs to the PF?

This is a great website and community forum! Thank you.

#30 9 years ago

I can answer one for you. The post flashers are wired to either the slingshot coil or the pop bumper coil. On the firepower, it's a waste to wire to the PF flasher as it doesn't flash very much.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-post-flashers-installed-on-firepower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.