(Topic ID: 59942)

Cointaker & Pinballbulbs Same Company?

By McGee

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WI.jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Long time lurker, first time poster ... i have been a customer of Cointaker for quite some time and was doing my browsing and typed in Cointaker.net and it took me to Pinballbulbs.com... im a little confused... are they the same company? I looked up their whois information and they are registered to the same person?

Domain Name: COINTAKER.NET
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Updated Date: 2013-07-04 00:35:19
    Creation Date: 2013-07-04 00:35:19
    Registrar Expiration Date: 2014-07-04 00:35:19
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrant Name:
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street:
    Registrant City:
    Registrant State/Province:
    Registrant Postal Code:
    Registrant Country:
    Admin Name: j
    Admin Organization:
    Admin Street:
    Admin City:
    Admin State/Province: Oregon
    Admin Postal Code:
    Admin Country: United States
    Admin Phone:
    Admin Fax:
    Admin Email:
    Tech Name:
    Tech Organization:
    Tech Street:
    Tech City:

Post edited by TigerLaw25 : Made additional edits on top of the Dude's to take out personal information

#2 10 years ago

try cointaker.com

#3 10 years ago

/epicfail

#4 10 years ago

wow. That's weird either way you look at it.

Pinballbulbs registering cointaker.net if different person.. kind of underhanded.

Cointaker owning both? Probably worse.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Pinballbulbs registering cointaker.net if different person.. kind of underhanded.

Makes sense to me.

#6 10 years ago

Underhanded? Maybe....but how many times have you seen similar tactics by opposing businesses? Cointaker's been around way long enough that they should've known to register alternate domains if they wanted them... I would guess they did the cost/benefit on that one a long time ago and didn't see it. Probably BEFORE they had competition. At any rate, there's multiple ways for cointaker to resolve this if they chose to care about it.

#7 10 years ago

He's lucky that's all he got typing in the wrong domain.

#8 10 years ago

These are not the same company. Each owns several domains.

#9 10 years ago

No, not the same company...just another company trying to sell their product by using our name....

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Underhanded? Maybe....but how many times have you seen similar tactics by opposing businesses? Cointaker's been around way long enough that they should've known to register alternate domains if they wanted them... I would guess they did the cost/benefit on that one a long time ago and didn't see it. Probably BEFORE they had competition. At any rate, there's multiple ways for cointaker to resolve this if they chose to care about it.

Absolutely...and we do care.....

#11 10 years ago

Looks like this is public info

http://www.whois.com/whois/cointaker.net

http://www.whois.com/whois/pinballbulbs.com

http://www.whois.com/whois/cointaker.com

Sure it may be sleazy. But i doubt that it is illegal

#12 10 years ago

It's a calculated risk. ICANN has a process for domain 'squatting' that makes this kind of activity *generally* not worth the time, because your domain can just be taken from you if the namesake has a legitimate business use for the domain, and you can lose it, even if they haven't ever bothered to register it...which I find to be kind of absurd, frankly...but that's how it is. I have a domain I've owned for 7-ish years that Nintendo could just waltz right up and take away if they wanted to, but I've never given them a reason to do so...there's never been a website on it, no money making ventures using it, etc. I'm not sure why I even keep it to be honest lol.

#13 10 years ago

Better move fast on this one...

WI.jpgWI.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Right, that's kind of my point... with all the TLDs now, it's basically financially unfeasible for someone like Cointaker to register their name for all TLD's. =|

#15 10 years ago

Cointaker.gov

#16 10 years ago

Doesn't the IRS own that one?

#17 10 years ago

The fact that a Cointaker competitor chose to register www.cointaker.net makes me not want to buy from them.

#18 10 years ago

Companies do this all the time. So if someone miss types the address it goes to them instead. Or if you are smart get that address linked in search engines. Or to hold onto the name and sell later. This was happening long long ago, nothing new.

#19 10 years ago

...or the classic mistake: IPDB.com

#20 10 years ago

This does go on all the time, the thing is, anyone that does it is always seen for what they are... bottom feeders.

domain names aren't as valuable as they once were, very few people type domains in anymore, it's all about google, and the .net does not appear when i search them

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The fact that a Cointaker competitor chose to register http://www.cointaker.net makes me not want to buy from them.

Exactly.

#22 10 years ago

Guess you both are going to not be buying from a lot of companies from now on, now that you've discovered that this happens....about 13 years after everyone else already knew it was going on.

It always fascinates me how people react to stuff like this. When there's actual violations of privacy and legal matters, it's like yeah whatever no problem, but the second someone tries to benefit off someone else's mistake, OH IT'S ON I'M NEVER BUYING FROM THEM NOW! lol... Any of you guys buy Invisiglass over PDI and see *any* distinction between that and Cointaker/PBB? Just curious.

*Edit* Maybe I should start a business philosophy/ethics thread instead of hijacking this one lol..

#23 10 years ago

Did JJP steal pinball decals website domain?

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Guess you both are going to not be buying from a lot of companies from now on, now that you've discovered that this happens....about 13 years after everyone else already knew it was going on.
    It always fascinates me how people react to stuff like this. When there's actual violations of privacy and legal matters, it's like yeah whatever no problem, but the second someone tries to benefit off someone else's mistake, OH IT'S ON I'M NEVER BUYING FROM THEM NOW! lol... Any of you guys buy Invisiglass over PDI and see *any* distinction between that and Cointaker/PBB? Just curious.
    *Edit* Maybe I should start a business philosophy/ethics thread instead of hijacking this one lol..

Sorry, but this post makes no sense.

Why would you assume that just because people here are less likely to buy from PBB because of their business practice of buying a competitors similar domain that these people have no problem with "actual violations of privacy and legal matters". That's a complete non-sequitur.

Also, why do you assume that people who feel this way just "now" discovered that this happens?

The fact that it happens is relevant how? Does it make it ok from an ethical business standpoint? Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical.

And what the hell does PDI and Invisiglass have to do with *anything* here? Have one of those companies bought a domain with the other's business name in it?

I don't think you made a single valid point in your post.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Did JJP steal pinball decals website domain?

Exactly!

#25 10 years ago

I use advertising and marketing tactics to decide which products/services and COmpaNies to boycott.

#26 10 years ago

The only thing that bothers me is someone hiding behind a new account to post this. Seriously put your name to it if you want to air it publicly

#27 10 years ago

If they didn't register it, it's not theirs. They may have a claim to it, but it's not legally THEIRS until such claim is made and it's registered. I know that's a really fine hair to split.

"wow. That's weird either way you look at it.

Pinballbulbs registering cointaker.net if different person.. kind of underhanded."

That's not exactly the kind of comment I'd expect someone familiar with this practice to make. That's the basis of my other statement. No assumption involved. I might have misinterpreted tone or sentiment, but I don't generally call something "wierd" if I know it to be a frequent occurance in the realm it exists in..

I -never- said it was ethical, you put that intent in my "mouth" without it having ever been made.

Anyways, make your own decisions about this company, and Cointaker. I'm not here to tell you what to do on that front. I've made mine. I just find the thought process people have regarding this kind of stuff interesting, particularly seeing where exactly the line betweeen ethical and unethical lies.

*edit* speaking of ethics, I've got to get back to work now, but if you want to continue the discussion feel free to PM me. I'm totally down with having a throwdown.

#28 10 years ago

This happens all the time and it's totally legal. You can own any domain name you want and I work for a large company where our competitor was smart enough to buy our name .net. There is nothing you can do about it, I can go buy a domain name and set up shop with my business no problem. As long as cointaker.net comes up as the Pinballbulbs company and doesn't pretend to be cointaker then there is nothing cointaker can do. Is what it is....

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

No, not the same company...just another company trying to sell their product by using our name....

Just smart business, if a domain is still for sale and it could take consumers to your business why not?

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

The only thing that bothers me is someone hiding behind a new account to post this. Seriously put your name to it if you want to air it publicly

Exactly, their only post.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

I second that one. Have some balls man! For all I know it could be a Cointaker employee posting this under a new user account to stir the pot and damage the competition. I'm just saying who knows who's posting this. Did they open an account just for this post? Pretty weird.

#32 10 years ago

Never been a big fan of Cointaker, so I got a chuckle out of this thread. I'm just glad there are a few alternatives to recommend when people ask where to buy LEDs.

#33 10 years ago

all this thread makes me wonder is how many pinside handles does the OP have?

Signed up today just to post this... hmm...

I can surely guess at least one of their other handles popped up pretty quickly in this very thread...

How stupid do you think we are?

#34 10 years ago

McGee = Cointaker ...??
    Lol

#35 10 years ago

// Error: Image 124299 not found //

#36 10 years ago

Cointaker and Pinballbulbs are both great vendors with great products. If Cointaker did not register all the various domain extensions then that was a business mistake on their part. If Pinballbulbs scooped up cointaker.net then that was a smart business decision on their part. I always register .com .net .org for all my domain names.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

Cointaker and Pinballbulbs are both great vendors with great products. If Cointaker did not register all the various domain extensions then that was a business mistake on their part. If Pinballbulbs scooped up cointaker.net then that was a smart business decision on their part. I always register .com .net .org for all my domain names.

This is absolutely correct. BOTH great venders. One made a mistake, the other make a good business decision! Great post Jags, thank you.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I second that one. Have some balls man! For all I know it could be a Cointaker employee posting this under a new user account to stir the pot and damage the competition. I'm just saying who knows who's posting this. Did they open an account just for this post? Pretty weird.

Definitely not anyone here at CoinTaker, nor anyone that we know of.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Definitely not anyone here at CoinTaker, nor anyone that we know of.

I know, just playing devils advocate.

#40 10 years ago

Just as a heads up cointaker has pinballleds.com which is close to our name and could be confused. When we saw that we got cointaker.net in the hopes a domain trade could be worked out.

No attempt at advertising as cointaker as i think it is pretty clear we are separate companies. Was just hoping to have leverage for a trade

#41 10 years ago

Act

Quoted from PinballBulbs:Just as a heads up cointaker has pinballleds.com which is close to our name and could be confused. When we saw that we got cointaker.net in the hopes a domain trade could be worked out.
    No attempt at advertising as cointaker as i think it is pretty clear we are separate companies. Was just hoping to have leverage for a trade

Actually if you check, we had that domain name for almost 3 years now if not longer..well before you got into the business....so please do not put me in the same category as you.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Act

Actually if you check, we had that domain name for almost 3 years now if not longer..well before you got into the business....so please do not put me in the same category as you.

huh? I'm not putting you in any category or accusing you of anything. I was pointing out that we looked up that domain name wanting it and noticed you guys owned it. So, as a business decision, we grabbed cointaker.net in the hopes of traded it. Definitely aware of how long it has been owned.

Anyways, I didn't come in to bicker, argue or whatever. Just point out our reasoning for the purchase and our hopes for the outcome.

To be specific, you have had it since Created:2009-08-31

#43 10 years ago

Battle of the bulbs.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Battle of the bulbs.

I don't think there is a battle. PinballBulbs is being very mature and diplomatic. They simply want a trade. Yes or no CoinTaker?

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

huh? I'm not putting you in any category or accusing you of anything. I was pointing out that we looked up that domain name wanting it and noticed you guys owned it. So, as a business decision, we grabbed cointaker.net in the hopes of traded it. Definitely aware of how long it has been owned.
    Anyways, I didn't come in to bicker, argue or whatever. Just point out our reasoning for the purchase and our hopes for the outcome.
    To be specific, you have had it since Created:2009-08-31

I'm just saying we had that domain for a long time...This is no bickering session... But don't confuse people by letting them think we went out and got that domain after you opened up shop.. because the prior post certainly sounds that way.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I don't think there is a battle. PinballBulbs is being very mature and diplomatic. They simply want a trade. Yes or no CoinTaker?

That's funny they say trade, because they have never once contacted us about a trade....

#47 10 years ago

I would think that IPs are logged ?? Can't Robin or a moderator search and see if the same IP is associated with another account ID on pinside ??

#48 10 years ago

I'm sure they will work it out themselves behind the scenes with no problems.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

I'm just saying we had that domain for a long time...This is no bickering session... But don't confuse people by letting them think we went out and got that domain after you opened up shop.. because the prior post certainly sounds that way.

Sorry about the confusion then. I noted we were aware you guys had pinballleds.com when we got cointaker.net. I was hoping I had implied you had the prior domain name first. You were around as an LED company before us as well so it makes sense.

Either way, we are open for a trade, but it wasn't something we just absolutely had to have instantly as our focus has been working on getting our kits made at the moment which has been a massive time commitment. Do feel free to PM though if you did want to swap domain names. We can discuss all of that privately. We are open to 1for1 and we can even cover the domain fees as needed.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

That's funny they say trade, because they have never once contacted us about a trade....

I was going to say, it has been a little over a month now and the .net domain is redirecting to PPB.com. Seems like if they wanted to trade they would have registered it and tried to work out a trade closer to the date of registration before even setting up the redirect...

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-pinballbulbs-same-company and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.