(Topic ID: 74975)

Cointaker LEDs blinking issue in TRON: Legacy (Pro)

By docfenderson

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by herg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I just upgraded my machine with the full Cointaker LED kit and am having a very strange problem. At the start of every game, a lot of the upper playfield inserts (light cycles, ramp and loop arrows, disc and ZUSE switches and Flynn's Arcade are all rapidly blinking. Once each light is activated through normal game play, it reverts to its normal functionality.

All the lights behave normally during attract mode and there are no error messages. Any ideas?

#2 5 years ago

Did you use non ghosting LEDs? Tron needs them. Also you should run through the led test for single LEDs and step through one at a time and see which ones light up with which others. A specific pattern may emerge.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the link... the LED OCD board looks like a great addition. Unfortunately that's not the problem I'm experiencing.

This video file should help explain it.

#5 5 years ago

I believe that is it's normal behavior.

#6 5 years ago

Um, I believe you're right. I just dug up a few gameplay videos from other people and it's doing exactly that. Must be the way the LEDs just blink differently and I never really noticed this behavior until I had them in.

I think the LED OCD board might be just what I need at this point.

Thanks for the clue!

#7 5 years ago

I have TRON with an LED OCD in it, I will check tomorrow and see what it does.

#8 5 years ago

That video looks like normal operation without LED OCD to me. It's blinking to show you which shots to hit, but the blinking is a bit harsh due to the "raw" LEDs.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah, I feel pretty stupid now... just the difference in how the naked LEDs respond as compared to bulbs set off my "oh no" meter pretty strongly.

I've gotten used to them a bit now but seeing the side by side with the LED OCD... wow, what a difference! I'm assuming the LE version has additional circuitry on the little LED boards that mitigate the harshness of the LEDs binary response to variable voltage, yes?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from docfenderson:

I'm assuming the LE version has additional circuitry on the little LED boards that mitigate the harshness of the LEDs binary response to variable voltage, yes?

The LEDs in an LE are controlled in a completely different manner. If you're asking about whether the LED controller on an LE turns on and off in a fading manner, like an incandescent bulb (or LED OCD), the answer is no. The LED controller used in LE machines is a constant current driver, and it adjusts the output to keep current consistent, but the LED still turns on/off quickly compared to an incandescent bulb.

On a Pro, it's not really variable voltage, either. It's 18VDC that is pulsed at different rates. This is true of both "naked" LEDs and LED OCD. The difference is that LED OCD pulses at a rate that is fast enough that the human eye can't see the individual pulses and ends up "averaging" the light output over a short period of time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Cibolo, TX
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside