Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Waaaa_!!.gif
    imagesCAYN82UJ.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

So I ordered up an LED flipper button kit from Cointaker and installed it this weekend on my JY. I was going to just build a kit myself, but I figured I'd give the kit a shot first to see if it was worth the $32.00 since I'm a fan of Cointaker's LEDs. That was a bad choice...

First off, the instructions were a joke to begin with. There is a picture of how to mount the little LED board and the pic is so dark, you can't even see what you're supposed to do. I showed it to my wife and she just laughed and said, "How does someone even find that acceptable?". After installing it incorrectly, I figured it out, not too difficult obviously. I just hate it when people give you terrible instructions. It is hard to believe that the product is quality, when the people that built it can't figure out how to(or even care to) post a visible picture I mean seriously, taking a decent picture and throwing it on the instructions is a VERY simple task. Most 4th graders can accomplish this task with no problem.

My second issue is that once the kit's are installed, there is a lot of light that shines through the sides of the PF and stares you in the eye because of the way that the LEDs are mounted to the board. If you were to make a home made kit, you could direct the LED at the flipper button and get rid of most of this. I would figure for $32.00, Cointaker should also include a small shield/bracket that blocks that light from shining through between the cabinet and playfield. I used two small strips of felt tape and it looks awesome now.

My third issue is that the connector that the instructions tell you to plug in to is not the correct one. It tells you to plug in to the J4 connector on the coin door board...that's not even close. The connectors are completely different. So I ended up soldering the wires anyhow when I bought the "Plug and Play" kit.

I guess I just expected a little bit more from the company for $32 bucks, especially a company that most people seem to rant and rave about their LED lights. The amount of material in the kit is right around $7.00....maybe less. So long story short, if there is anyone out there looking at buying an LED flipper button kit from Cointaker...DON'T. You can make your own kit for 1/4 the cost and it will be better. There are plenty of people on here that will show/tell you how to do it. Here is a recent thread that shows how to do it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-lighted-flipper-buttons-for-418

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people that have some sort of allegiance to Cointaker that will burn me at the stake for defiling Contaker's name, so have at it...I'm just trying to save the next guy some $$$ and headaches.

#2 11 years ago

Mark up on some items are kinda nutso, ie 5x cost or so, but I would do the same. The ability to source material, put it together and then sell it takes time and effort which is worth the markup, which makes it easier for folks who don't want to be bothered with the details.

they sure do have nice super bright leds though! cant beat em

#3 11 years ago

If you have alot of light bleeding through the apron, try installing some foam weatherstripping above the LED to block the light. It worked great on my BSD...

#4 11 years ago

I do agree with this post. I have the kit in t2 and noticed the same instruction, connector and light in the eyes issue. I buy all my LEDs from cointaker but they need to make some changes to this kit.

#5 11 years ago

I do agree to some point. I don't there is a lot of light coming thru the buttons either. I do like them and the idea....but could be tweaked some.

#6 11 years ago

He's badmouthing Cointaker! Get him!

imagesCAYN82UJ.jpgimagesCAYN82UJ.jpg

#7 11 years ago

If you have a question or problem, please give me a call. My phone number is on our website. (570) 847-6366. I think its on the instructions also.

Chris

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I do agree with this post. I have the kit in t2 and noticed the same instruction, connector and light in the eyes issue. I buy all my LEDs from cointaker but they need to make some changes to this kit.

I agree, Cointaker's LEDs are awesome... the kit leaves a bit to the imagination though.

Quoted from CoinTaker:

If you have a question or problem, please give me a call. My phone number is on our website. (570) 847-6366. I think its on the instructions also.

Chris

All of my problems are listed above. I'm not going to ask for a refund or anything, it is what it is. I'm not trying to roast you, you have a LOT of GREAT products, but constructive criticism is a good thing. Maybe you refine these kits a bit.

#9 11 years ago

I feel this way when I see people selling "scoop lights" or stuff like that. It's literally a $2 bulb holder, and a screw. Screw it in and tap the light you need. Some peopel can't do it or don't want to and pay 10 times the cost for it.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I feel this way when I see people selling "scoop lights" or stuff like that. It's literally a $2 bulb holder, and a screw. Screw it in and tap the light you need. Some peopel can't do it or don't want to and pay 10 times the cost for it.

Yeah, I was the same way. Almost spent $36 for a scoop light to light the mode hole on my IJ. Then I thought to myself... a socket, led, and 2 strands of wire would cost me less than $5. It came out awesome and will now do the rest of my machines.

#11 11 years ago

It is fair to post a review for a product... good or bad. Thanks.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

He's badmouthing Cointaker! Get him!

Just another Mud-Flapper ...... Waaaa_!!.gifWaaaa_!!.gif Anyone w/ some Common No How can install these Kits.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-led-flipper-button-kits-im-not-a-fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.