(Topic ID: 155042)

Cointaker color changing shooter rod install

By yzfguy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glasairpilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I used a drill bit that just barely fit in, and it grabbed and twisted the fitting out. I was apprehensive to try it, but it worked in 2 seconds on both sides. Piece of cake. No shavings or pieces to deal with.

I did the same thing, but the coil sleeve provided by Cointaker was too big for the remaining shooter rod hole, so I had to drill the housing out so it would accept the sleeve. Am I missing something here? Without the sleeve the rod will short to ground.

#38 7 years ago

That is interesting. The sleeve provided required a 1/2" hole in the housing. I appeared to be a standard coil sleeve for a Williams flipper coil.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

You must use a sleeve or it will.

Yes, I understand that. My problem is that removing the brass bushings was not enough in my STLE. I had to remove the bushings and then drill the housing to 1/2" diameter. The coil sleeve then slid in nicely. Prior to increasing the hole size the sleeve would not fit. Furthermore, the shooter rod is much smaller in diameter than the sleeve, so the rod is sloppy when pulling back. I am wondering if Cointaker sent the wrong sleeve because nobody here has stated that they had to drill the housing out to accept the sleeve.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

It wouldn't surprise me if they did send you the wrong parts. Give them a call to try and fix things. Mine was so tight in the bushing I had to put the rod in a drill and sand for about 10 mins. Than after that I found out it was shorter then the factory one so now it sits on the workbench getting closer to the garbage can.

The rod was tight in what bushing??? When you remove the brass bushings you only have remaining the shooter rod housing. You then have a plastic coil sleeve to put in the housing.

#49 7 years ago

Yes - you need to use your original barrel spring for sure - otherwise, the rod will not push the ball very far.

Unfortunately, my new shooter rod does not work. I switched with the one I bought for my LOTR and it works fine. Infant Mortality out of the box.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Sleeve slid right in the shooter housing. No issues, looks great!

That makes no sense to me. You probably would not be interested in measuring the diameter of your Housing hole would you? I had to drill mine to 1/2" to make the supplied sleeve fit and the shooter rod is very sloppy in the hole/sleeve. I'm wondering if I received the wrong sleeve.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I will try to remember to pull it out and measure next time she's opened up, but it is literally juuust bigger than the sleeve it came with. Fits like a glove.

Mine was not even close. Also, the shooter rod is very sloppy in the sleeve. My LOTR install was not the same. I think that Cointaker may have given me the wrong sleeve. If anyone could be so kind as to measure the diameter of the sleeve it would be appreciated. It is hard for me to believe that Stern is using different sizes of shooter housing holes and bushings.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Did you already drill the housing? If you did, your stuck w that bushing ( mentioned this happened once to me, still minimal side to side, and plays fine)
    If you didn't, just email Melissa....she'll send you another one.....at least it's not major panic land ....a new shooter rod housing cures all ( unless yours is powdered or chromed, then kind of a pita....good luck!!!...email them....good people...they'll hook you up......mark

I have emailed Melissa twice now with no response. I guess I will try to call her. I will probably just make a plastic collar to take up the slack in the rod and glue it in the housing.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Very odd.....she normally responds quick...could be a vacation time or something.....if it was me (and only speaking for myself, not implying at all what is best for you) I would order a new housing from Terry (PBL):
    Stern - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=527 $24.95, or:
    Williams - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=133 $21.95, and then insure you get the right bushing.
    That area gets thrashed pretty good, and would be worried if you start gluing stuff in there for the long haul. Sorry you're having these problems......mark

Thank you very much for that information. Do you know if the Bally/Williams shooter rod housing is the same physical outside dimensions? The reason I ask is that I would want it to cover the original footprint of the old shooter housing so that it is not too small or too big that it damages the cab decals if it needs removed later. Also, does it use the same backing plate / mounting holes?

It would make more sense to simply buy the B/W shooter housing if it does not need modified.

#63 7 years ago

I ordered a new B/W shooter rod housing so I don't have to jack with the bushings. Melissa responded and said she would ship a new shooter rod and sleeve.

#64 7 years ago

OK, heads up guys. Cointaker very graciously sent me a new rod since the one they provided did not work.

I specifically asked for them to make sure they sent the proper size sleeve to fit in a Stern rod housing with the bushings removed which is the same sleeve that comes standard in a Williams housing.

Once again, they sent a 1/2" sleeve which is WAY too big and will require you to remove the bushings and then drill out your housing to 1/2" which is much to big for the shooter rod and will cause problems.

Instead, knowing this might happen and not wanting to mess with removoving the bushings in a new stern unit I bought a new Williams housing assembly. It came with the proper shooter rod sleeve and I used it instead.

Look at the pictures showing the large sleeve sent to me and the smaller sleeve that is needed. The smaller sleeve actually fits inside the bigger sleeve. Do not drill out your housings to accept the bigger sleeve. Instead, buy a Williams housing and sleeve or simply buy the Williams sleeve. I'm not sure why Countaker is sending out these large sleeves as they do not work.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#66 7 years ago

Yes, I know- I don't get it. My first color changer was for my LOTR. There were no instructions for Stern in the package and the instructions state to remove the Williams sleeve and install the new sleeve. Of course, Stern does not use sleeves, but instead uses brass bushings. I removed the bushings and the sleeve they supplied for that machine worked fine.

When I received the rod for STLE I removed the bushings and noticed the sleeve would not fit in the housing after I removed the bushings. I assumed the housing must be different for STLE, so I drilled the hole to match the sleeve which was a huge mistake as the rod was now very loose in the sleeve. Unbelievably, I receive the same darn sleeve with the new rod. Maybe someone at Cointaker is filling the orders for them and does not know better?

With this all said, I like their products and they are nice people. I just bought an interactive backbox panel for STLE and it is probably one of the nicest mods for any machine I have seen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glasairpilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-color-changing-shooter-rod-install?tu=glasairpilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.