(Topic ID: 155042)

Cointaker color changing shooter rod install

By yzfguy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Awesome! Thanks. I wrote you but it was after hours and didn't wanna bother you if someone here had my answer. You da man!

Chris and Melissa @ Cointaker Rock!!! They are the only ones offering the LED rods to my knowledge, and work great...have on several of my machines ( need to order a couple more, and keep forgetting ...)...mark

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I like to use a B/W Shooter Rod Housing with the Orbit LED Shooter Rods, comes in Chrome so you don't need to sand off the black paint as you would with a Stern Shooter Housing + it's a PITA to to knock out those Brass Bushings in the Stern housing.
    Pinball Life has the B/W Shooter Housings for about $10 & don't forget to buy a B/W Nylon Shooter Bushing.
    If Chrome doesn't go with your Game do what Coin Taker suggested.

Greg ( Mindorbits) hasn't offered his rods in quite some time.........bushings knock out pretty quick, I've had to sand my chrome housings, as well ( just where the washer makes contact of course)....glad you've had good luck not having to do that.......

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Hey thanks, we might make it down your way this summer for some motorcycling, maybe some time for a few games of pinball!

Man, name the time, and you're more than welcome....I'll insure you guys have a great time, and definitely get some pb in!!!...mark

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Here is a pic with the bushing and black coating removed.

image_(resized).jpeg

Yep, nice and clean....

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

How do these rods work with a Williams style housing? I have a show quality chrome one from the Refinery on my Stern Met and would like to get one for my GB when it comes.

I had to sand the chrome face of shooter housing on all my games (including chromed out TRONLE). Williams housing the same (on my TZ and TAF). Has to be a good electrical connection or the rod will flicker. I've read some did ok without having to sand the Chrome, but not mine. It's virtually invisible when the washer covers it. It's far and away my favorite shooter rod mod ( I've got color changing, pulsing, other effects depending on the game), and I like the feel of the round ball as opposed to grabbing a head or emblem or something....highly recommend!!!!

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

The chrome job the Refinery does is thicker and top notch so I'll have to do as you did. Thanks MK

I was nervous, but promise you wont even notice it I used a metal file - 1" nice and clean/ even....otherwise, the thing will blink and bug the crap out of you.....

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Piece of cake, I've drilled holes to run wires in new pf's, drilled holes in ramps to get at pop cap screws so I didn't have to remove the whole ramp and attached pieces for just one screw, drilled big center holes and 2 smaller ones so I could ad mini domes to the pop caps of my Avatar LE, removed, heated and bent a pf plastic on Mustang pro so I could light it up with a led strip and more....all without batting an eye. They all turned out great too.

You, my friend, are a beast modder....electrical...Ill take on anything...wired all kinds of crazy crap fearlessly......but craftsmanship? Well, let's just say you don't want me building cabinets....

1 month later
    #32 7 years ago
    Quoted from mainelycoasters:

Any tricks for getting the brass bushings out? struggling to get mine to even move.

Rubber hammer and thin, flair screwdriver....I slightly tap around the flange to create a little separation, then just knock them out from either side ( outer by hitting from inside, reverse) come out pretty easy....

#33 7 years ago

Being brass, sometimes they break, too...keep up w the pieces ( could short electronics or drop in service outlet) advice from a guy who's had it happen.....

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from glasairpilot:

Yes, I understand that. My problem is that removing the brass bushings was not enough in my STLE. I had to remove the bushings and then drill the housing to 1/2" diameter. The coil sleeve then slid in nicely. Prior to increasing the hole size the sleeve would not fit. Furthermore, the shooter rod is much smaller in diameter than the sleeve, so the rod is sloppy when pulling back. I am wondering if Cointaker sent the wrong sleeve because nobody here has stated that they had to drill the housing out to accept the sleeve.

ran into that w my IMVE, had to drill the housing...bushing then went fine and rod to bushing a bit looser than the others (I've installed on all my machines) but works fine.......

Quoted from fiberdude120:

It wouldn't surprise me if they did send you the wrong parts. Give them a call to try and fix things. Mine was so tight in the bushing I had to put the rod in a drill and sand for about 10 mins. Than after that I found out it was shorter then the factory one so now it sits on the workbench getting closer to the garbage can.

Regarding the "short rod"....some of these are coming w super strong barrel springs (not letting the rod plunge correctly). I put my old spring back in, and all is well.

These are one of my favorite mods to my machines, but can really be easy, or pita to get in right.......have no idea why. Everyone used to source from Greg (including CT), but after he quit doing them, it's been a bit tough. I'm just glad CT still offers them!!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does Cointaker still offer a pinside discount? The old code PINSIDE15 no longer seems to work.

The new site has the discounts built in....if you go to "original" site (which I tried once just to look at my order history) the prices were higher, but you could enter discount (I think)......

Suspect their "best price" is just the new site, without the hassle of doing code adds. I can't see my order history there for some reason though (might just be something I'm doing wrong).....mark

Melissa or Chris....please jump in and correct me if I misspoke.......mark

#56 7 years ago

Mine was not even close. Also, the shooter rod is very sloppy in the sleeve. My LOTR install was not the same. I think that Cointaker may have given me the wrong sleeve. If anyone could be so kind as to measure the diameter of the sleeve it would be appreciated. It is hard for me to believe that Stern is using different sizes of shooter housing holes and bushings.

Did you already drill the housing? If you did, your stuck w that bushing ( mentioned this happened once to me, still minimal side to side, and plays fine)

If you didn't, just email Melissa....she'll send you another one.....at least it's not major panic land ....a new shooter rod housing cures all ( unless yours is powdered or chromed, then kind of a pita....good luck!!!...email them....good people...they'll hook you up......mark

#58 7 years ago

I have emailed Melissa twice now with no response. I guess I will try to call her. I will probably just make a plastic collar to take up the slack in the rod and glue it in the housing.

Very odd.....she normally responds quick...could be a vacation time or something.....if it was me (and only speaking for myself, not implying at all what is best for you) I would order a new housing from Terry (PBL):

Stern - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=527 $24.95, or:

Williams - http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=133 $21.95, and then insure you get the right bushing.

That area gets thrashed pretty good, and would be worried if you start gluing stuff in there for the long haul. Sorry you're having these problems......mark

#61 7 years ago

Thank you very much for that information. Do you know if the Bally/Williams shooter rod housing is the same physical outside dimensions? The reason I ask is that I would want it to cover the original footprint of the old shooter housing so that it is not too small or too big that it damages the cab decals if it needs removed later. Also, does it use the same backing plate / mounting holes?
    It would make more sense to simply buy the B/W shooter housing if it does not need modified.

Yep....alot of guys did this when they broke the other housing trying to get the brass out. I think the B/W can slide around a bit more, too, so you can line up the rod perfectly w the ball (a Lloyd tip that has helped me in the past).

3 years later
    #70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Aloha Guys,
    I just ordered the lighted shooter for my batman 66 but the rod is too big versus the stock rod. It will not slide in. What is the new and improved way to fix this. I am not a modder and dont have an extensive work shop.
    Thanks for any tips on how to get this to work.
    I wonder if they sent me the wrong one??

You have to remove the bushings on both sides of the housing, and replace with the nylon sleeve that should have been included.

#72 4 years ago

PM sent...these can be a bit of a pita, but work great if you do a few key things.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cointaker-color-changing-shooter-rod-install?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.