5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lock (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

Hardware question regarding coin and headstock door locks. A few years ago I disassembled my KISS (Bally) to rock tumble all the parts. However, since that my coin door lock mechanism doesn't "hold" position with key in. Usually, the locks have that "click" and stay in a closed position with the key in the lock but I'm finding that if I have the key all the way in the lock, the position will turn/sag without any resistance or the click. When I pull the key out just a bit or key out completely the lock works as it should. I'm wondering if I'm missing a part of the mechanism after the rock tumbling I did or what would cause that.

#2 5 years ago

I had to adjust the strike plate on the door frame where the arm contacts. There are screws there to loosen and adjust. It needs a small amount of pressure to hold it in place with the key inserted all the way. FYI, you have to do his with the playfield up. You probably know this, but thought I would just add that info.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

I had to adjust the strike plate on the door frame where the arm contacts. There are screws there to loosen and adjust. It needs a small amount of pressure to hold it in place with the key inserted all the way. FYI, you have to do his with the playfield up. You probably know this, but thought I would just add that info.

I think my issue is different as I know my other machines coindoor lock will click when the key is in position to take the key out. Right now if the key is in all the way, it will turn freely. The mechanism for locking and unlocking works just fine, it's just that I have to pull the key out a click if I leave the key in the lock while locked.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I think my issue is different as I know my other machines coindoor lock will click when the key is in position to take the key out. Right now if the key is in all the way, it will turn freely. The mechanism for locking and unlocking works just fine, it's just that I have to pull the key out a click if I leave the key in the lock while locked.

take the lock out, and turn the rotation washer on the back 90 or 180 or upside down to where locked is at the end of the cam movement where gravity will hold the key there.

P.S. If the key turns 360 without stopping, you're missing the rotation washer on the back, or it is not in the right place.

lock (resized).JPGlock (resized).JPG

#5 5 years ago

I don't know about a click, but it's pretty common for locks where the cam isn't touching the lock plate to open with gravity when the key is inserted. If you lock the coin door and you can "wiggle" the door then the cam isn't tight enough against the lock plate. Generally, you just need to bend the cam a bit to make contact with the lock plate. But, depending on the size (length) of the lock, you may need a different cam (i.e. an offset cam).

#6 5 years ago

The lock mechanism works as it should with rotating only 90 degrees to open or closed, it just doesn't have that "click" to hold position. When I put a key in my KISS (Stern) for example, there is a click when key is in position to remove so the cam doesn't just swing open and closed 90 degrees one way or the other even with the key in position. So there seems to be something missing in my KISS 78 lock after disassembly that doesn't click into that holding position.

#7 5 years ago

It all depends on the brand of lock you have installed. Only Happ Controls locks have that "click". Other brands do not.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coindoor-lock-problem-?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.