(Topic ID: 262241)

Coin-return freeplay w/ a Coat Hanger & some Thread: best hack ever?!

By goingincirclez

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200217_185926 (resized).jpg
    20200217_185855 (resized).jpg
    20200217_185913 (resized).jpg
    20200217_185902 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I might have to start a "best hacks" thread inspired by this one. I picked up a project Blackout a week ago and one of the things I noticed among its issues was a strange blue wire in the center coin mech. "WTF could that be for? Eh, least of its issues, I'll get to it later." Indeed, I forgot all about it.

Then after getting the game playing and more or less working I go to replace the bulbs for the coin door and notice the wire again, only this time I pay more attention:

20200217_185855 (resized).jpg20200217_185855 (resized).jpg

20200217_185902 (resized).jpg20200217_185902 (resized).jpg

20200217_185913 (resized).jpg20200217_185913 (resized).jpg

20200217_185926 (resized).jpg20200217_185926 (resized).jpg

Holy crap: someone wrapped an old wire coat hanger around the coin return cam, bent and twisted it securely to stay attached and thread through the mech, then attached it to the coin-drop trip cam with a tiny piece of thread... on the "dummy" center mech... effectively turning the coin return button into a credit button?!?

Yes indeed, and it works every time!

I love this in sooo many ways. It's ingenious, and hidden, and for all its redneck hackishness it surely took no small amount of fiddling to get just right. No stupid doorbells here! Yet what's even funnier is we know there is a free play setting that can be configured... but I'll bet this poor ingenious person had no idea, and just tried to make it work... AND YET that credit switch is set to "4 credits" somehow...

I was actually thinking about maybe putting the game on location which would require rehabbing the door, but I don't have the heart to remove this bit of ingenuity. Bravo good sir or madam, whoever you were!

#2 4 years ago

WOW!!! that is 1 ingenious hack!! LOL!! Much better than drilling holes in a perfectly good coin door even though all they had to do was go into settings to #18 and put it on 00...such a waste of good chrome coin door!! If it is wired to the center slot, that is the Susan B Anthony slot so it is technically supposed to give 4 credits if it has the coin mech in it. But the SBA coin mechs are hard to come by anymore!

So Cool...I don't think I'd remove it either!!

Phoebe

#4 4 years ago

Ooh man that's harsh.... add it to the worst hacks thread? No way - this one's brilliant AND easily removable (but what kind of cold cruel heartless bastid would do so?!)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-return-freeplay-w-coat-hanger-amp-some-thread-best-hack-ever?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.