Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bingopodcast
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpg
    RingoNom (resized).png
    Wayne (resized).jpg
    20200719_195152 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1595130775560.jpg
    IMG_20200414_110319806.jpg
    IMG_20200414_105849781.jpg
    IMG_20200414_105735645.jpg
    space2019Prize (resized).jpg
    spheader2 (resized).jpg
    RyanPM (resized).jpg
    ringo (resized).jpg
    yus.gif
    dennis (resized).jpg
    untitled (resized).jpg
    spacePilotPapercraft (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanclaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

As some of you may know, my name is Ryan Claytor. I'm a professor at Michigan State University, comics artist, and pinball enthusiast. I'm proud to announce that my good buddy, Nick Baldridge (For Amusement Only Podcast Host and Multi-Bingo Creator), and I have teamed-up on a new publication project titled,

Coin-Op Carnival: Electrifying Tales of Mechanical Contraptions

coverCropped1000tall (resized).jpgcoverCropped1000tall (resized).jpg

Coin-Op Carnival, a new 64-page print publication, is the only source for illustrated content about electro-mechanical coin-operated devices. Each issue includes an interview with a game designer, in-depth game reviews, technical information, product reviews, comics, and more. The entire publication features new full-color illustrations on each page from me and the articles are co-written by Nick and me.

Nick and I conceived of this project over two years ago. Since that time we’ve been dedicating a tremendous amount of time and research to this important historical document that we hope will be interesting and accessible to both pinball aficionados and newcomers to this rich and fascinating industry. Here's and advanced look at some of our articles:

01Wayne (resized).jpg01Wayne (resized).jpg02Mystic (resized).jpg02Mystic (resized).jpg03Space (resized).jpg03Space (resized).jpg04Tech (resized).jpg04Tech (resized).jpg05Tech (resized).jpg05Tech (resized).jpg

Coin-Op Carnival #1 will debut at the 2019 Texas Pinball Festival where Nick and I will conduct a seminar about our new publishing venture. Here are the details:

Coin-Op Carnival Grand Release Seminar
    2019 Texas Pinball Festival
    Friday, March 22nd, at 8pm

We will be joined by in the seminar by noted Pinball Historian, Gordon Hasse, who will contextualize our upcoming publication release within the broader framework of pinball publications that have preceded our own. Needless to say, we would love to see you in the audience of our Friday night seminar.

For the release of the first issue, Nick and I are also embarking on a 10 state, 16 stop, book signing tour to promote Coin-Op Carnival's release. As I mentioned, the first stop is the Texas Pinball Festival in Frisco, Texas, with fifteen stops across America to follow.

CCtourSchedule (resized).jpgCCtourSchedule (resized).jpg

Copies of issue #1 will be available for purchase online starting March 22nd, 2019. Cover price of issue #1 is $15. Additional volumes will follow roughly every other year.

To learn more about Coin-Op Carnival, visit www.coinopcarnival.com.

Thanks for your interest and if you have any questions, we're happy to answer them here.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Coin-Op Carnival - Artist, Co-Writer and Co-Founder
    Web: www.CoinOpCarnival.com
    Email: ryan~at~coinopcarnival~dot~com
    Twitter: @CoinOpCarnival
    Facebook: facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival

#32 5 years ago

First and foremost, thank you so much for everyone's words of support. It means the world to us.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Ryan and I are very pleased to have the books in hand, ready for the first day of TPF.

Nick, thanks for chiming in here (on a number of occasions) more quickly than I was able. You're an incredible friend and project partner, my man.

You reminded me of something, too. These books were delivered to me less than a week ago now. Last Wednesday, as a matter of fact, the carrier truck arrived at my home:

IMG_20190227_130448613_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_130448613_HDR (resized).jpg

...the books were unloaded:

IMG_20190227_130718350 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_130718350 (resized).jpg

...the palette was dropped in my garage:

IMG_20190227_131019331 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_131019331 (resized).jpg

...and promptly unloaded into my mudroom:

IMG_20190227_131623148 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_131623148 (resized).jpg

...then eventually they migrated to my temperature controlled basement storage. But not before taking a good long look through the books themselves:

IMG_20190227_132718570 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_132718570 (resized).jpg

The following day, Thursday of last week, I took our bouncing baby books to a professional photography session for their glamour shots:

IMG_20190228_095446052 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_095446052 (resized).jpg

...which lead to the picture that started this thread:

This is sort of a long winded way of saying that Nick and I are both keenly aware of the current pinball release climate, both in terms of pinball books and pinball machines, and we were both adamant about not asking for pre-orders, kickstarting funds, or any hint of money-before-product. So when we see comments like this:

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I just hit the embedded weblink to your site and attempted to "purchase today" , by hitting the shop now button ; but it appears that it is not yet set up to purchase, at least from my android tablet. Hopefully soon. Cheers and good luck.

It's just our way of saying that both Nick and I are awfully determined to make this a "buy-it-and-get-it" experience, regardless of whether the purchase is made in person or on our website, and we'd like it to all line-up upon release.

The books are here. They are real. This is not vaporware. ...and we are ITCHING to share this with everyone. It's been really difficult to sit on this product idea for over two years and not be able to share it. But again, we'd much rather have it ready to go upon announcement than to announce and then need to push back a publicly announced deadline. We're cognizant of that trend, too.

Alright, enough serious stuff. COMMENTS!!!

Quoted from Pecos:

Congratulations to you both, Ryan and Nick, on the completion and publication of your Magnum Opus!
    I know that a lot of hard work went into this. I’m really impressed with the E.M. Tech Explained article, beautifully illustrated. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please allow me the honor of being the first Pinsider to let you know that I will be buying a copy - such a bargain at only $15.00!

Pecos, in my eyes, you've been such a backbone of Pinside. From your project pinball thread to your astute and personal comments which assisted me through my first E.M. restoration (can you believe that wet-behind-the-ears experience has turned into this?), it's always such a joy to see you pop up in a thread I'm following. Now, especially, this one. Thanks for all your support.

Quoted from GSones:

Count me in for a copy at TPF. I've just recently been bitten by the EM bug so the timing is perfect.

A man of fine taste, that is clear.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

As a Mystic Marvel owner I will be buying a copy for sure

Nick and I got to know this game pretty darn well over the course of preparing that particular article. You're a lucky owner, Shapeshifter!

Quoted from Cdemuro:

I will be ordering a copy.

Thanks, Cdemuro! We'll be doing a pretty unique tour stop in Houston this August at the Burke Baker Planetarium. Looks like it's in your neck of the woods. Perhaps we'll get a chance to meet in person.

Quoted from Cdemuro:

I hope you can sell some to the DMD snobs also. Lol. Everyone needs to appreciate EM.

So, I know this comment was meant as flippant and fun, but I have nothing against DMD's. Nick and I both have era-spanning collections. Mine has examples from 1940 flipperless games to Stern's 2007 Spider-man, and Nick's collection event includes another decade in either direction on that spectrum. All that to say, we want this to be a positive place, one free of judgement and in-fighting. So let's leave words like "snobs" at the door.

With all that said, our hope for this publication is essentially what your post described. We made a near impossible goal with this project; to appeal to multiple audiences, both those familiar with electro-mechanical era pinball and those who aren't. The latter category could be relative newcomers to the hobby who are interested in more modern games, or even folks who aren't familiar with pinball at all. When the book is released we'll see whether or not we were able to accomplish this tall task, but I have a hunch this will be a widely accessible publication with a little something for everyone.

Thanks for chiming in, Cdemuro, and for listening to some alternate thoughts here.

Quoted from unigroove:

Congrats on this new publication! See you at TPF!

Jonathan! You've certainly set a high water mark for pinball publications. The Pinball Magazine tomes occupy a place of pride on my bookshelf:

pinballMag (resized).jpgpinballMag (resized).jpg

...so it's nice to have you chime in here. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about our first issue.

Quoted from goldenboy232:

Looks fantastic and I'll be buying one at TPF.

Thanks a bunch. We really appreciate the support!

Quoted from goldenboy232:

If you're ever looking for guest writers, I'd be interested as well (EM pinhead and former journalist)!
    Mark

Thank you for the offer, Mark. While we'd love to reach out to you, and also a number of pinball historians we really respect, Nick and I have outlined this 4-issue series pretty tightly. And if I have a hope of staying on this proposed, approximately every-other-year release schedule, we need to stick to this plan. So, sincerely, thank you for your offer and for your interest in our publication. Please swing by our booth or seminar at TPF this month. It'd be great to put a face with your Pinside handle.

Quoted from Pinballflare:

Can’t wait to get my hands on one of these! You should see if you could get them at replayfx also. Thanks again for all your time and effort you both put into the hobby.

Hi Pinballflare, thanks for your enthusiasm and kind words! We really appreciate it. Neither Nick nor I will be at ReplayFX/Pinburgh this year. We know it's a great show, but it just didn't fit into the schedule of our lives this year. However, we're doing our best to give the community ample opportunities to connect, whether that's online or in person. Sorry. Maybe in a future year(?). *fingers crossed*

Quoted from Ballypin:

Bravo !! Looks great Ryan. I won’t be at TPF but I hope to have a buddy pickup a copy for me.

We'll be there!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I will have to visit the website to get all the details for ordering, hope you take paypal. I assume there will be some nominal charge for shipping, but it will still be a barigin at whatever the price.

Hi Tom,

Good to see you around here, and thanks for your support. We will be charging shipping, which will be based on where you are in relation to us. So, it's hard to give you a definitive answer, but the shipping calculator will work it's magic upon check-out (once that goes live on March 22nd, 2019).

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Hi Ryan,
    I'll take 2. Had a change in plans and can't make Texas.
    Contact me. [email protected]

Hi Chris!

By this point in the thread, you know when you can order them. Ha-ha! Also, I just shot you a line at that email address you listed. Looking forward to chatting.

Also...

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

If you have met Ryan you will realize that this is of very good quality. He is an exceptional person and I don't throw comments like that around.

...thanks a bunch for your flattering words. Truly.

Quoted from Kipsie:

Amazing! It looks insightful and more machine focused than the other publications out there.
    I bookmarked your site!
    Thank you!

Thank you, Kipsie! We appreciate you saving our site and checking back in a couple weeks or so!

Woo! Thanks, 1stpinballdave.

Quoted from AlexF:

Quote Linkage

Psst...thanks for the explanation, Alex.

Quoted from gstellenberg:

Looking forward to seeing this (and both of you!) at TPF. Congrats on the milestone. The previews look fantastic!
    - Gerry

Gerry, that means a lot coming from you. Nick and I have both been long-time admirers of the P3 platform and games. I'm also happy to say that I'm completely jealous and happy for my homey @bingopodcast , who recently purchased and received his own P3(!!?!??!). SOOO COOL!!! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us at TPF this year and what sort of changes you've made to CCR since last TPF.

Quoted from robin:

ryanclaytor and bingopodcast - I now how much work this has been for the both of you and I'm gonna try and spread the word about this fine publication.
    I had a chance to preview an early copy of the first issue and even though I'm not really well versed into EM games (*) I found this a really interesting read and so beautifully illustrated. I can only highly recommend everyone: get a copy!
    (*) for no particular reason other than little exposure to those games here in Holland. I love playing them at US events.

PINSIDE ROBIN!!!

What you've created with this pinball enthusiast portal is SO inspiring and nothing short of a labor of love. I've met a number of great friends across the country and around the world I'd have never connected with if it wasn't for you building this site. So, thank you, both for your efforts with pinside, and for your thoughts about reading through an early copy of this book. All I can say is, it's even more polished than when you saw it. Can't wait for you to see it at TPF. Safe travels!!!

Finally we get to meet in person. Thanks for your help in pinball over the years, Ken!

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Can't wait!!
    Watching calander till day I can order

Ha! Thanks, pacmanretro. We really do appreciate you prepping for our release date. Means a lot!

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Looks awesome, definitely will be ordering on the 22nd

Yaaas!!!

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I want one! Will pick up at TPF.

YASSS.gifYASSS.gif

Thank you!

Thanks, again, all! You're all making this release an incredibly gratifying experience. Thank you.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Can't wait to see it!

Thanks for your support, Cait!

Quoted from jeffc:

Count me in for this project. Nick and Ryan make for an impressive and passionate combination. Looking forward to getting this.

You're too kind, JeffC. Looking forward to your thoughts about the publication upon its release!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm a solid state / DMD collector for the most part, but this looks like a fun read. I'll look forward to when the buy page goes live

Thanks, ForceFlow! That's precisely the kind of open-minded interest we're hoping to foster with this publication. Hope you enjoy the first issue!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

heard the interview and really looking forward to getting this to learn about EM's and a fan of your art, got a heap of your shirts already
    make sure to make some available for the overseas supporters

Hey Jady! Thanks for all your support over the years. It's great to see you pop in here.

You can rest assured we will be shipping overseas. You'll be able to order the same day as everyone else when we show-up at TPF and simultaneously open our webshop on March 22nd, 2019. ...although, as an Aussie, I think you might be about a day ahead of us? Might have to adjust those release hours a little. Regardless, we'll get it to ya!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Very cool! I'll be on the look out!
    Thanks
    Blake

Thank YOU, Blake!

Quoted from heatwave:

Looks great Ryan!
    This Spartan will be ordering one later in March (hopefully after a long run by MSU in the NCAA tourney).
    Greg

Really appreciate it, Spartan Greg! Although I must admit, I don't much keep up with the spectation of the sport-ball. Good luck to us, though! Ha-ha! (Are we doing well? ...I honestly have no idea.)

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Nah!
    This is the year of the UCIrvine Anteaters, (currently 25-5)
    Go ZOT!!!
    Or maybe the South Dakota State JackRabbits (24-7)
    Sorry
    Did not mean to hijack this thread
    Can't wait until March 22
    so I can order.

March 22nd! That's my March Madness.

Quoted from yancy:

All I ask is that Ryan block me from any potential auction(s) of the original art from this series. My wallet and walls thank you in advance.

Oh...oh, wait...uhm...well this is surprising, but...uh...what is this thing...that I just found right here (that will also be at the Texas Pinball Festival):

Love ya, Yancy!

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Will there be any vendors selling it at Arcade Expo in Banning next week?

Hi Robert,

It will not be available at Arcade Expo, sorry. Arcade Expo happens before our release date of March 22nd, 2019. If you won't be at Texas, or any of the other tour stops, you're welcome to access our webshop ( http://coinopcarnival.com/store/ ) when it goes live on our release date.

Thanks for your interest!

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

will be purchasing via the website on the 22nd!

Thanks, Lint. ...hey, I recognize that avatar!

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

Fantastic looking magazine, the more EM information and documentation the better (IMHO). It's not a matter of if I will order but rather how many I will be ordering. I know a friend who jut bought his first two EM machines (pinball and one of those EM bowlers) and I think he would love a copy. Who else can I get them for...

Ha-ha! Thanks, Matesamo. Now, if that sentiment spreads, we'll have a wonderful problem to work through. With our powers combined, we'll see if we can push this publication into reprint status. LOL

In all seriousness, we really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

#57 5 years ago

I just wanted to make mention of some great press we've received since announcing our little publication venture and thank some folks for helping us extend our broadcast range:

Pinball News: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2019/03/07/coin-op-carnival/
    Big thanks to Martin Ayub for maintaining such a wonderful resource for so many years. It's an honor to be mentioned on it.

This Flippin' Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-707700754/coin-op-carnival?fbclid=IwAR1MHoGCMnkurPalC3jffgiIcP3UK3dbl2HKOYJN1wJxBFNxGvUoo8ZbrPM
    Thanks to Taylor Reese (and Tommy Skinner in spirit) for a great interview and breaking the news of Coin-Op Carnival on their 83rd episode.

Gaming on 10 Minutes a Week Podcast: https://gamingontenminutesaweek.libsyn.com/episode-36-coin-op-carnival-superbeat-spectacular?fbclid=IwAR3rApAAnckFzRhoPIHtfOafXLHvu0kxdbXMjbb3QORCrhoBgaLOsDA7mQ8
    Thanks to Don Walton Jr, former co-host of The Pinball Podcast, for chatting with us and highlighting Coin-Op Carnival on episode 36!

The Pinball Podcast: http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2019/03/07/episode-129-we-are-idiot/?fbclid=IwAR2QfWmGxtQqlc33MFKfSRedyZkJeEC2nRRfp-tWaIYavCsJ0sjpt1lJWXo
    Thank you Jeff Rivera and Jessica Lea DeNardo for the awfully kind mention of Coin-Op Carnival on Episode 129 of The Pinball Podcast (around the 48:30 mark)

We've also been seeing some nice response on our twitter account (https://twitter.com/coinopcarnival):
    Screenshot_20190304-101429 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190304-101429 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190306-021718 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190306-021718 (resized).png

...and facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival/)
    _facebook (resized).jpg_facebook (resized).jpg

We owe a huge thanks to the community for being so supportive even before our product is out of the gate. Can't thank you enough for all your interest and enthusiasm. This product couldn't be successful without you. Here's hoping we can put some faces to names on our tour!

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#59 5 years ago

Another Coin-Op Carnival mention on This Week in Pinball PODCAST #38 (around the 23:40 mark):

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-38-with-ken-cromwell/

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

I saw the new books at Pinball Resource this week while I was picking up my order.

what.gifwhat.gif

Quoted from stashyboy:

They look great! Heavyweight stock on the paper seems like they'll last a long time and be archival. Artwork is great!

ohStop.gifohStop.gif

Quoted from stashyboy:

Unfortunately, Steve told me they were not allowed to go out the door until the 22nd!

phew.gifphew.gif

Quoted from Matesamo:

Wonder how many of these will be in Secret Santa packages this year?

martin.gifmartin.gif

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Time to start considering summer secret santa program???

kramer.gifkramer.gif

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Defiantly will be ordering mine on the 22nd.

Thank-You.gifThank-You.gif

I'm also assuming you'll have them a(t) SDCC?

fullon.giffullon.gif

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Is it wrong I like the smell they have?

han.gifhan.gif

Quoted from stashyboy:

Brings back memories!

repress.gifrepress.gif

#78 5 years ago

Thanks to This Week in Pinball for mentioning Coin-Op Carnival (and our Friday, March 22nd 8pm Texas Pinball Festival seminar) in today's #1 post. It's about things to watch for at the Texas Pinball Festival. See you this coming weekend for our grand reveal!!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-march-18th-2019/

...and of course on their podcast as well:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-39-with-greg-bone/

Also...

Quoted from JWJr:

Is it the 22nd yet?

...not soon enough.

Quoted from FatPanda:

I heard about this from the Eclectic Gamers Podcast and really enjoyed the interview with Nick.

Awesome to hear! Thanks to Dennis for having Nick on. Really wish I could have been a part of it but my schedule did not allow. NEXT TIME!!!

Quoted from FatPanda:

Congrats on the publication! Definitely a labor of love, as is obvious on every page!

Really appreciate your kind words, FatPanda.

Quoted from Azmodeus:

I saw this on pinball news, but I am not reading the article. I am waiting to read the book.

You are a man of great restraint!

Quoted from Azmodeus:

Seems like some good publicity!

Hard to beat!

Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

It's unfortunate y'all won't be headed to Allentown or Sturbridge

Those were both points of discussion, Mistermoberg. Alas, we can't make 'em all this year. We're doing our best to hit many corners of the US, though! We've got North, South, East, West, Midwest...

...and if those don't work for you, as you mentioned, our online store will go live in less than a week (official launch date: March 22nd, 2019).

http://www.coinopcarnival.com/store/

Thanks for your continued interest and words of support, everyone! We really appreciate it and can't wait to share this new publication with everyone!!!

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#86 5 years ago

Another wee update:

We're getting ready for the 2019 Texas Pinball Festival reveal of Coin-op Carnival's inaugural issue and the first stop on our North American Tour! Postcards just arrived...

IMG_20190318_181313793 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_181313793 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_181341292 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_181341292 (resized).jpg

...complete with spot UV coating, rounded corners, and related fanciness:

IMG_20190318_181326897 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_181326897 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_181356013 (resized).jpgIMG_20190318_181356013 (resized).jpg

Okay, now for the important stuff...

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Open invite Ryan if you aren't making Allentown (surely you are at VFW same weekend) and want to sell books at Allentown - send them to me I will devote table space for you and I don't want a dime out of it... I'll sell what I can for you. Always happy to support the good folks in the hobby like yourself... Hell, set up a pre-order and have folks pick them up from me if you'd like. I don't need more to do at a show - but guys like you who DO things in the hobby need to be supported in any way possible. Let me know brother ! : )
    Joe

Joe...wow! That's quite the offer, as I KNOW how slammed you are at shows. I was at York in October 2018 and couldn't believe the line-up you had! Jersey Jack games, Multimorphic's P3, Chicago Gaming Remakes, The Mafia, Thunderbirds, and Spooky games! Not to mention all the totes and shirts of your own! So, believe me, I know this offer doesn't come lightly and really means a lot to Nick and I. As Nick mentioned...

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it or not, but I'm going to try.

So, we'll see how that shakes out first. Hope to see you this coming weekend in Texas, though! Will you be vending there?

Quoted from PismoArcade:

Wow! You're gonna be in Solvang!

Looks like I'll be taking a mini road trip in June.

Texas Pinball Festival! Comic-Con International!! Chicago Pinball Expo!!! ...and...the Book Loft?

oneOfTheseThings.gifoneOfTheseThings.gif

*LOL* Solvang is my hometown bookstore. They've been incredibly supportive of me over the years and I'll be visiting family, so it just made sense to do a hometown stop. Looking forward to meeting you there, PismoArcade!

Quoted from Coyote:

If we get one off the site, can we request an autograph?

Yes, there is a notes section in the checkout - we'll be happy to autograph if desired!

Thanks, Nick.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Time to get those pens warmed up!

I think I'm ready...I've been practicing signing my name for the past 30-some-odd years. Here's hoping I don't freeze-up during game time.

Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Just saw this thread. As an EM pinhead, I'm even more excited now about PATZ!

Awesome! I'll be behind a table all three days. Please come introduce yourself, Wolvie!

The York show should be a great fit. I go there every year with my wife

Nick and I both love York. Such an incredible diversity of games, from Bingos, to Woodrails, to E.M.s, early solid state, DMD's, and the most modern of games (see the Pinball Star list I mentioned in this post!!!). I will not be at York this year, but Nick will be. ...which was a really tough decision for me, but we both thought it best if I opted for the Chicago Pinball Expo and a comic shop signing up in Wisconsin, rather than having us both double-up at York in 2019. You know...extending our promotional reach and all that. Anyhow, you'll have to make me jealous with stories of games you got to play at York this year!

By the looks of this thread, you might need some more cases of this first edition!

I guess we're about to find out this weekend! ...hard to believe it's almost here!

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Your Just missing this after San Diego.
    California Extreme 2019
    July 27-28, 2019
    Hyatt Regency Santa Clara

We would love to visit Cal Extreme. Neither Nick nor I have ever been (despite me growing up in California). While it didn't work out for our packed 2019 schedule, you never know in the future.

Thanks, again, for all the support! We are SO READY to put this publication out into the world this coming weekend!!! Can't wait to hear what you all think once it's in your hands.

Humbled,
    Ryan and Nick

#93 5 years ago

Welp, it’s getting pretty close!

ryanPacked (resized).jpgryanPacked (resized).jpg

My bags are packed with books, pins, postcards, shirts, stickers, original artwork, retractable banners and more, all in preparation for our new book release at the Texas Pinball Festival this coming weekend! I fly out in about 36 hours, however, Nick is already on the road...DRIVING FROM VIRGINIA (!??!):

nickPacked (resized).jpgnickPacked (resized).jpg

In addition to that box o' books you see, he's also got his incredible Multi-Bingo machine packed up, which will be available to play in our Coin-Op Carnival booth the entire weekend. If you've not seen this single-build machine before, make it a priority. Here's what it looks like when it's not wrapped in moving blankets:

mb (resized).jpgmb (resized).jpg

The dedication and craftsmanship Nick devoted to this project cannot be overstated. And don't be intimidated if you've never played a bingo pinball before, Nick will be happy to give you a tutorial.

So, as you're likely aware by this point in the thread, March 22nd, 2019 marks the release date of Coin-Op Carnival #1, the new series we’ll be working on for the next few years. This will be a four-issue limited series with subsequent issues released roughly every other year.

Copies will be available in-person this weekend at the Texas Pinball Festival or online at the dedicated Coin-Op Carnival webshop:

http://coinopcarnival.com/store/

We are SO excited to finally release this work and share it with you! Also, we cannot thank you enough for your overwhelming support during these few weeks leading up to the release. Can't wait to meet a number of you in Texas!!!

#96 5 years ago

For anyone unable to attend the Texas Pinball Festival, it looks like they will be liveStreaming the seminars:

https://m.twitch.tv/texas_pinball_seminar/profile

Tune in at 8pm CDT this Friday, March 22, 2019 to catch our Coin-Op Carnival presentation.

#117 5 years ago

We are in a little alcove right behind Spooky Pinball. If you see those two Alice Coopers, we're directly behind them. You can see our banner and the Multi-Bingo peaking out on the right side of this picture below:

IMG_20190323_115707298 (resized).jpgIMG_20190323_115707298 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190322_170329378 (resized).jpgIMG_20190322_170329378 (resized).jpg
    #122 5 years ago

Wow!!! What a whirlwind weekend and an extremely warm welcome from the pinball community at the 2019 Texas Pinball Festival for the launch of our Coin-Op Carnival series.

Here's our booth:

booth (resized).jpgbooth (resized).jpg

...and a closer look at our table:

table (resized).jpgtable (resized).jpg

We conducted a seminar on Friday night...

schedule (resized).jpgschedule (resized).jpg

...with special guest and noted pinball historian, Gordon Hasse:

trio (resized).jpgtrio (resized).jpg

who introduced us with a historical overview of pinball publications that have come before Coin-Op Carnival:

seminar (resized).jpgseminar (resized).jpg

As we mentioned, the Texas Pinball Festival was...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

liveStreaming the seminars

...which have now been archived here (fast forward this clip to the 09:30 mark for the start of our presentation):

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/399663052

We had a lot of great reactions to the publication over the weekend, including this one from Pinside Founder, Robin van Mourik:

robin (resized).jpgrobin (resized).jpg

As you saw from the booth image above, Nick also brought his wonder of modern/retro mash-up technology, the Multi-Bingo machine. Nick was offering bingo pinball tutorials all weekend long to a healthy line-up of interested players:

multiLine (resized).jpgmultiLine (resized).jpg

At the tail end of the weekend, we attended the awards presentation:

panoAwards (resized).jpgpanoAwards (resized).jpg

Where Nick's Multi-Bingo earned the top spot for custom game of the 2019 Texas Pinball Festival!

nick (resized).jpgnick (resized).jpg

1st PRIZE!!! Congratulations, Nick!!! SO well deserved!!!

award (resized).jpgaward (resized).jpg

It's hard to put into words what all this means to Nick and I, but suffice it to say, we're taken-aback and humbled by the response to all of our efforts. So...thank you...to everyone we chat with in Texas, everyone who has chimed in on the thread here, and everyone who will be keeping Nick busy upon his return to Virginia. He's still on the road as we speak, but once he arrives home, Nick has a mountain of mail order to fulfill thanks to YOU!!!

Many more thanks,
    Ryan and Nick

#131 5 years ago

Hey All,

Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I attended the seminar and it was fascinating.

Thanks, HookedonPinonics! We really appreciate the sentiments. For anyone who missed it, our seminar is archived here (starting around the 09:30 mark):

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/399663052

- --- ----- --- -

Also, we have some more announcements; I am gearing-up for our 2nd tour stop.

This stop will be a solo-Ryan gig on Sunday, April 14th, 2019 at 6pm, and I think it's gonna be a doozy. I've been working on this presentation for almost a year, actually, and it'll be held at the Abrams Planetarium on the campus of Michigan State University where I teach. Here's a little preview:

___CCplanetarium (resized).jpg___CCplanetarium (resized).jpg

Back in May of 2018, I visited Wayne Neyens (the most prolific pinball designer in history and the interview subject for Coin-Op Carnival #1) and took a 360 degree camera with me. I filmed Wayne with his last remaining pinball machine (which he has a great story about) and also filmed another short interview in his home office, where he has a wall of memorabilia and he describes the significance of those pieces. This footage is really immersive and with the 360 dome presentation, it really feels like you're in Wayne's home as he tells these stories. I've been hard at work editing this video to include high resolution photographs of Wayne's memorabilia, inset video of the pinball machine in action as Wayne takes it through its paces, as well as manually subtitling the entire video. In addition to that, I'll be talking about the publication and the process it took to get our publication to where it is today. After the presentation we'll have a book signing party in the lobby of the planetarium, where we'll have a handful of Wayne Neyens designed games on free play for all to enjoy. On top of all that, admission is free, but space is limited so I'd suggest arriving early if you'd like to secure a seat.

The planetarium even set up a facebook event for it:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1087064594814351/

- --- ----- --- -

In other logistics:

packaging.gifpackaging.gif

...we (read: mainly Nick) have been shipping our little hearts out. So much that we ran out of shipping supplies(!??!). I handed Nick A BUNCH of supplies and books at Texas last weekend and was aghast to hear that all shipping materials have been used. All that to say, Nick and his very understanding wife packed and shipped the majority of the book orders we received since our launch, however there are still a number in the queue that are on hold until we receive said shipping supplies. We want to make sure this arrives to you safely, so thank you in advance for your patience. We'll update this thread when the supplies arrive. Just trying to be as transparent as possible here.

- --- ----- --- -

Finally...

I just want to say congrats again on this publication!

Quoted from Pafasa:

Congrats on the publication.

Quoted from Liftserv:

Can’t wait to receive mine!

Quoted from 4Max:

waiting with baited breath

Quoted from gstellenberg:

The book is amazing!

...we really can't thank you enough for all your support. It's make the past 2+ years of work feel justified.

Our sincerest gratitude,
    Ryan

#153 5 years ago

In case you missed it, folks are talkin'.

The Drop Target Zine (Alec Longstreth and Jon Chad) had some awfully nice things to say. We're currently on the front page of their website, but here's a perma-link:
    http://droptargetzine.blogspot.com/2019/03/coin-op-carnival-1.html

Then, we chat with the Dungeon Master himself, James Willing, near the beginning of the 109th episode of the Spooky Pinball Podcast...er...Bug-cast. This episode also features a CHANCE TO WIN A FREE ISSUE!!! ...and stick around because Nick gets a solo interview with Charlie and Bug about his masterfully produced Multi-Bingo:
    https://www.spookypinball.com/http:/spookypinball.com/spooky-pinball-podcast-show-109/

Also, the Martin Ayub and Jonathan Joosten of the Pinball News/Pinball Magazine podcast mention Coin-Op Carnival on their most recent 'cast (around the 58 minute mark):
    http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/march-2019-pinball-industry-news-recap_142952

Finally, we shipped a copy of Coin-Op Carnival #1 to Gary Flower of the upcoming Midwest Gaming Classic. That will be available as part of their charity auction. Here's hoping it goes for way more than cover price.

Thanks for the continued support, everyone!

#161 5 years ago

Hey all,

The buzz continues to roll in, this time from a comic book review site. Thought you might find this of interest:

http://www.yourchickenenemy.com/2019/04/pinball-panoply-justin-giampaoli.html

Quoted from swinks:

I got notification today that my departed on it's long trip down under, looking forward to it.

Thanks for your support, Jady! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Quoted from Ben1981:

My parcel is already in Europe, thanks Nick!

now the long wait for customs clearance begins....
    looking forward

Ha-ha! Thanks for the confirmation, Ben1981! Fingers crossed for quick customs clearance!

...and thanks to you both for the international orders!

Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

will pinballstar be selling this stuff at Allentown?

Joe Newhart (of Pinball Star) is a HARD-workin' fellow and a good-hearted one to boot (as you saw from his offer earlier in this thread). We chat with Joe at TPF a couple weeks back and I think we managed to convince him our publication wouldn't be worth his time at Allentown, despite his generous proposition. Ha-ha! All that to say, Coin-Op Carnival will not be offered at Allentown. Our apologies.

#172 5 years ago

RESPONSES

Quoted from swinks:

got mine in the mail today, great condition
    had a quick flick and looks great and can't wait to have a read, well down guys

Thanks, Jady! We appreciate the confirmation and feedback!

Speaking of feedback:

Quoted from BallyCrazy:

I've made a quick presentation of your publication on 2 french forums for EM coin operated games lovers :
    https://www.flipjuke.fr/post748044.html#p748044
    http://www.retro-flip.com/t10012-Publication-dediee-aux-jeux-electromecaniques.htm#p91287

Wow! This was incredible! Thank you so much, BallyCrazy!!! I had my multi-lingual wife translate it for me. ...sounds like we need to raise our price! #notGoingToHappen

-

MORE BUZZ

Ironically, I'm probably the last one to see this (been a little busy lately), but Steve Young posted some nice words over on the Pinball Resource news page back on our launch date:

- --- ----- --- -

"I am delighted to announce we are offering a new publication (book 1 of a promised 4 book offering) called COIN-OP CARNIVAL co-authored by Ryan Claytor and Nick Baldridge.

This is a delightful presentation done in cartoon format of everything electromechanical:

-interview with Wayne Neyens
    -Mystic Marvel (pinball) review
    -Space Pilot (arcade) review
    -E/M relays explained
    -and more!

The presentation is really engaging and informative. 3 more books are promised at a later date....due to the immense amount of art-work needed to be created by hand, it is expected that this may take several years for each [hopefully just a couple -Ryan ]....but well worth the wait. I know all this stuff, but still read it from cover-to-cover and enjoyed it!

The announcement of this is currently on Pinball News where you can see some sample pages to get a better feel of the product.

Book is 5-1/2” x 7-1/2 [ actually...8-1/2" -Ryan ]”. 64 pages, quality paper and presentation.

PBR part number is BK-COC-1 and price is $15. per copy.

Steve"

- --- ----- --- -

Those are some pretty high words of praise! Thanks, Steve Young!

-

SHIPPING

In addition to that, today marks 12 days since shipping commenced. I wanted to address a minor issue in an effort to be completely transparent. First, as Nick has mentioned, he has been fulfilling book purchases in sequential order, first ordered will have the first shipped, and so on. We're also incredibly fortunate to have such overwhelming support from the pinball community. We don't say that lightly, either. In fact, the support was so overwhelming that Nick blew through all our shipping supplies. Naturally, the supplies we're using aren't available locally. Then when that situation was remedied, all of Nick's stock of books were shipped before I had a chance to sign another 100 and ship them his way. Those hundred books should have arrived to Nick yesterday, but there's a situation with the US post office. We just received a shipping status of "Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center" which we're pretty sure means that those 100 books are completely destroyed or there was a mistake in entry. So there's the bad news.

The good news is that we WILL sort this out. I have more books, so even if those 100 were somehow destroyed, we're okay and will take care of it. My plan is to start signing another 100 tonight and send them to Nick asap.

Why don't I send them out? Well, if it comes down to it, I might. However, in our publication partnership, Nick has agreed to take on shipping duties to allow me to focus on other Coin-Op Carnival tasks, like drawing the next issue. All this to say, we've received a letter or two inquiring about the status of the shipments. I'm hoping this public statement will alleviate some of the uncertainty of where your order might be. We have it, it's in the queue, and I have the utmost confidence you will receive it. However, if you feel unsure about any of my statements in this section, we're more than happy to refund purchase orders if that would make you more happy than to wait for your package to arrive. Ultimately, this is a passion project of ours that we hope will provide others with the same joy and enthusiasm for this innovative era of games that Nick and I feel. If that ever becomes a different case for you, please let us know. We promise you we'll make it right via order fulfillment as soon as we possibly can, or a full refund.

-

NEXT TOUR STOP

Alright, back to the fun stuff! I've been working hard at solidifying the many logistics for our second tour stop, which takes place on the campus of Michigan State University this coming weekend at the Abrams Planetarium:

As I mentioned previously, in addition to a Coin-Op Carnival presentation, a book signing to follow, and the first ever public showing of the full-dome 360degree video featuring the most prolific pinball designer in all of history, Wayne Neyens...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...we'll have a handful of Wayne Neyens designed games on free play for all to enjoy.

Well, I've got a list to share with you.

1956 Gottlieb "Score-Board"
    1968 Gottlieb "Paul Bunyan" (Wayne's last pinball machine he designed)
    1959 Gottlieb "Around the World" (Huge thanks to Pinsider: @paddlepaw )
    1954 Gottlieb "Mystic Marvel" (Huge thanks to Pinsider: @Scottflips )
    1968 Williams' "Space Pilot" (Huge thanks to Pinsider: @Dayhuff )

...for Michigan locals, none of these pinball machines are in a publicly accessible location, even @cfh 's impressive, era-spanning, VFW collection. And for you out-of-towners, this will be the only tour stop were you can play both featured E.M. games from Coin-Op Carnival #1 (Mystic Marvel and Space Pilot).

All this to say, I hope to see you there. Admission is free, but space is limited so I'd suggest arriving early if you'd like to secure a seat.

The planetarium even set up a facebook event with some additional information:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1087064594814351/

Take care, all, and our sincere thanks for your interest in our project!
    -Ryan Claytor

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

We just received a shipping status of "Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center" which we're pretty sure means that those 100 books are completely destroyed or there was a mistake in entry. So there's the bad news.

The good news is that we WILL sort this out. I have more books, so even if those 100 were somehow destroyed, we're okay and will take care of it. My plan is to start signing another 100 tonight and send them to Nick asap.

***Transparency Alert***

Nick managed to get in touch with the post office this evening, but we know about as much now as we did prior to talking with them, which isn't much. He tried asking if our box o' books was really dead, what we should do, etc. Was told we can file a claim after 30 days or so to get back some pittance maybe. There's also the possibility the books will just show up. They had no clue.

SO!

__signed (resized).jpg__signed (resized).jpg

I made it through over 100 signatures tonight. I should finish packing them tomorrow at some point and have these sent out to Nick in the next day or two.

#175 5 years ago

***MOAR Transparency***

boxed (resized).jpgboxed (resized).jpg

I packed over 100 signed books last night and this morning, took 'em to the post office and insured them this time. Ha-ha! Maybe that will make a difference(he says with naive hope)? Anyhow, we'll update when they arrive safely and order fulfillment resumes. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

#179 5 years ago

In other news, I ran through my planetarium presentation a couple times today in preparation for Coin-Op Carnival's second tour stop:

claytorPlanetarium (resized).jpgclaytorPlanetarium (resized).jpg

And the local media outlets are starting to take notice. Here are a couple of articles:

East Lansing Info with an article written by Sarah Spohn:
    https://eastlansinginfo.org/content/coin-op-carnival-event-could-be-jackpot-nostalgic-gamers

A Lansing CityPulse article from Skyler Ashley:
    https://lansingcitypulse.com/stories/msu-comic-art-professor-digs-into-pinball,12535

...and tomorrow morning I'll be on WLNZ radio chatting about the event:
    https://www.lcc.edu/radio/coffeebreak/

Can't wait to share this evening with everyone!

#181 5 years ago

Geez, what a wonderful night that was! Thank you to the Michigan State University Abrams Planetarium for providing a tremendous venue for the second Coin-Op Carnival tour stop and to everyone who attended last evening, despite the miserable weather. Still basking in the afterglow today. Extra special thanks to pinsiders paddlepaw , Scottflips , and Dayhuff for bringing games from their personal collections for all to enjoy! IMG_20190415_095017_825 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095017_825 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095106_545 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095106_545 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095027_334 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095027_334 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095039_361 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095039_361 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095049_338 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095049_338 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095115_305 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_095115_305 (resized).jpgIMG_20190414_212745121 (resized).jpgIMG_20190414_212745121 (resized).jpg

cctourschedule (resized).jpgcctourschedule (resized).jpg

#184 5 years ago

It would be great if you could do this at the Balboa Park Planetarium in San Diego during SDCC!

1 week later
    #200 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I won a copy at the MGC silent auction and just finished reading it. Very well done and well worth the price. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for chiming in here! So great to hear from the recipient of that charity auction issue. While we couldn't be at MGC in person, we wanted to at least be there in spirit. We really appreciate you taking the time to stop in here and let us know YOU WON!!!

Quoted from Pecos:

I want you to know that I will be sending you a little extra for my book. It's not a lot but it will help, if only a little, to defray the costs of your loss. If the impossible happens, and the books show up, please keep the money and use it for your second edition.

PECOS!!!

Always great seeing you around Pinside, especially on the few threads I follow. Thank you for your generous offer. I must say, I've gotta agree with pacmanretro...

Quoted from pacmanretro:

...such an AWESOME gesture!

Nick and I are truly humbled by your sentiments, but, Pecos (and anyone else), we are doing just fine and please please please DO NOT send us extra cash. We only mentioned the post office debacle to let folks know why there might be a minor delay in shipping. But again, we're just fine.

The pinball community has been plenty generous enough, to the point we're already looking into the possibility of reprinting the first issue. So, please, put your extra cash toward that great Tucson route you're developing! We'd rather see the extra dough put toward perfecting your public games than lining our pockets.

In-Other-News-300x176 (resized).jpgIn-Other-News-300x176 (resized).jpg

There's also a double tour stop coming up this weekend!

The first part of the weekend, I’ll be featuring Coin-Op Carnival at Michigan’s Pinball at the Zoo event in Kalamazoo. Then, on Sunday, I’ll exhibit my work at the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) in Columbus, OH, where I’ll also deliver an artist lecture about Coin-Op Carnival. Because I’m splitting my time that weekend, I’ll only be able to exhibit on Sunday of S.P.A.C.E. (a Saturday and Sunday show). Anyhow, here some information about each event:

Pinball at the Zoo
    (Thu-Sat) April 25-27th, 2019
    Open Hours
    Kalamazoo County Expo Center
    2900 Lake Street
    Kalamazoo, MI 49048
    Official Website: http://pinballatthezoo.com/

~and~

Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.)
    Sunday ONLY – April 28, 2019
    Sun: 10am – 5pm
    Artist Lecture: 1pm
    Northland Performing Arts Center
    4411 Tamarack Blvd.
    Columbus, OH 43229
    Official Website: http://backporchcomics.com/space.htm

Hope to see you this weekend!

P.S. TWO HUNDRED POSTS!!!
    party.gifparty.gif

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

I ordered two copies. One for myself, of course, and one that I will be taking down to D&D Pinball for everyone to peruse...

You are the best, Pecos. Thanks for all your support and help with pinball (and coin-op) evangelism.

Quoted from Pecos:

I will be placing an order for Pinitech LED displays soon and I will be thinking of both of you.

Ha-ha! Fantastic! Post of picture of those bright displays once installed!

Quoted from Coindork:

Just now seeing this thread for the first time.
    Didn't even get through the first page and already ordered a copy.
    Looks awesome.

Wow. This post made my day. Very cool to hear, and thanks for posting, Coindork.

Quoted from boo32:

Mine arrived yesterday - it is amazing - incredibly well done

Thank you! ...and expect your shirt soon! I sent it out yesterday (Nick was out of your size).

Quoted from cait001:

Love to see all the turnout and enthusiasm!

SAME!!! Thanks for your help in Ottawa this coming summer, Caitlyn! For those unaware, Caitlyn is helping us with some Coin-Op Carnival distribution at a couple of shows in Canada:

- Hawkesbury Pinball Flea Fair (June ‘19)
    - Ottawa Pinball Gameroom Show (September ‘19)

Finally, I'll just leave this buried lead right here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-claytorian-basement-remodel

Thanks for all your support and interest in our work, everyone! Such a cool group here.

#210 5 years ago

__patz (resized).jpg__patz (resized).jpg

Packed up and ready for the...

...THIS WEEKEND!!!

Hope to meet some pinsiders in Michigan or Ohio! Please stop by and say hello!

#211 5 years ago

Man, I love Pinball at the Zoo. Such a great, relaxed, hometown show. I set up yesterday and will be here the duration of the show.

IMG_20190425_181502000 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_181502000 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190425_181524050 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_181524050 (resized).jpg

...and you may have noticed a little something beyond my T-shirt tree:

IMG_20190425_181605976 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_181605976 (resized).jpg

...a glorious cluster of woodrails:

IMG_20190425_181628799 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_181628799 (resized).jpg

...as well as a number of EMs and even Rockola's World Series purely mechanical pin:

IMG_20190425_182027192 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_182027192 (resized).jpg

This serendipitous conglomeration of titles is thanks to my exhibitor neighbors, Scott, Dave, and Matt.

Speaking of tremendous vendors, Dave and Leann of Ulek Store presented me with a surprise gift:

IMG_20190425_183118941 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_183118941 (resized).jpg

...A MUG WITH THE WRAP-AROUND COVER IMAGE FROM COIN-OP CARNIVAL #1!!!

IMG_20190425_183127722 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_183127722 (resized).jpg

MAH GAWD!!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!! Make sure you stop by the Ulek booth to say hello! They're wonderful folks with wonderful custom products and always willing to talk about new possibilities.

IMG_20190425_183700204 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_183700204 (resized).jpg
    #213 4 years ago

Pinball at the Zoo was fantastic! Just pulled into Columbus after a rainy 4+ hour drive. Feeling lucky to be able to share this new publication with so many people and looking forward to presenting a seminar at the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo tomorrow! Thanks for everyone's continued support. I'll leave you with a couple pictures of some pinball ambassadors I met at PatZ.

Good night!

IMG_20190426_142532253 (resized).jpgIMG_20190426_142532253 (resized).jpgIMG_20190427_134433983 (resized).jpgIMG_20190427_134433983 (resized).jpg
    #216 4 years ago

Thought I'd post a brief wrap-up from S.P.A.C.E. (The Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo) in Columbus, OH, yesterday.

I arrived at the Northland Performing Art Center early Sunday morning...

SPACE (resized).jpgSPACE (resized).jpg

...and got my table set-up:

table (resized).jpgtable (resized).jpg

Before settling in at my table, I made some rounds and chat with a number of other comics exhibitors I've met over the years. I bought a bunch of comics and was pretty proud to show-off the new book that Nick and I recently finished. Later that day, at 1pm, I was scheduled to deliver a presentation.

I want to take a moment here to give a big shout-out and thank you to fellow pinsider, @violinsteve , who made it a point to come out to S.P.A.C.E. specifically to see me deliver a presentation on Coin-Op Carnival. Way cool. Plus, he took these next three pictures you're about to see.

So, here's that presentation I mentioned...

presentation (resized).jpgpresentation (resized).jpg

...and one of the 200+ slides:

58443463_10218272013328178_4843378871023697920_n (resized).jpg58443463_10218272013328178_4843378871023697920_n (resized).jpg

After the presentation, it was back to the table where I got to have a nice chat with Steve. Real good dude.

tableRyan (resized).jpgtableRyan (resized).jpg

At the end of the day, I packed up and drove the 4 hours back home to Michigan...

spaceMap (resized).jpgspaceMap (resized).jpg

...exhausted and elated from the experiences over the past few days.

Then, this morning I woke up to this...

LSJ01 (resized).jpgLSJ01 (resized).jpg

LSJ02 (resized).jpgLSJ02 (resized).jpg

...and as SirScott mentioned, you can also find it online:

Thanks, Scott!!!

...however, in the online version, it's hard to tell that I beat out Pat Sajak for top billing:

sajak (resized).jpgsajak (resized).jpg

Aw yeah.

Thanks for all the support this past weekend, guys and gals! Nick and I both really appreciate it.

See you next weekend at the VFW show in Ann Arbor, MI:

CCtourScheduleVFW (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleVFW (resized).jpg

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Can't wait to see you in a couple days.... Always love chatting at the VFW. Excited to see the book live!

Thanks, Meeg! Can't wait for you to see it in person. We're so gosh darned proud of these things.

Quoted from Pmoore66:

Ryan - just a great job on the book. Can we pre-order the next 3?

Hi Pmoore66. Since you and I chat at PatZ, Nick and I had a deeper discussion about our ability to manage the many arms of this project and we both came to a consensus that while a subscription would be great for readers (I'm part of a subscription service or two, and I love 'em), when we took a good, hard, honest look at our schedules, we just don't have the bandwidth to track that right now. Sorry.

An alternative we've been mentioning to folks who are interested in being notified about future issues is to sign-up for my personal comics update list. I self-publish my books under the moniker "Elephant Eater Comics" ( www.ElephantEater.com ), so the email would come from there. However, this is THE project I'm working on for the foreseeable future, so essentially the roughly-quarterly (sometimes it's not that frequent) updates will be talking primarily about Coin-Op Carnival, as well as appearances and other things I might be doing related to comics.

If that is something that interests you, Pmoore, (or anyone else, for that matter), please send an email to info at coinopcarnival dot com and we'll make sure you get added to that email update list.

Hope this helps!

Quoted from Pmoore66:

Completely entertained by the first issue.

So awesome!!! Thanks a bunch for the kind feedback.

Quoted from RCA1:

Debating getting another copy so I can make the art projects in there without cutting up the sweet autographed copy I got from Ryan last weekend.

Ha-ha! I swear it wasn't our intention to sell more books based on the back-to-back printing of those papercraft models. If someone wants to make a laserjet color copy of the papercraft model from their purchased book, I certainly wouldn't fault them for that. In fact, I'd relish a photograph or two of someone who actually completed them. Ha-ha!

Quoted from RCA1:

Anyone build the games so far?

Actually, I'm working on mine right now!

___papercraft (resized).jpg___papercraft (resized).jpg

WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO FINISH!??!

In other news, yesterday Nick and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside."

https://www.michiganradio.org/programs/stateside-cynthia-canty

___NPR (resized).jpg___NPR (resized).jpg

It was a fascinating effort of logistics, as the host, Nick, and I were each in different cities! Regardless, I think the conversation went pretty well, but we'll all see for sure once it airs. At this moment, we're not certain of its inaugural airdate, but it will likely be today or tomorrow. The show airs at 3pm and again at 10pm (EST) weekdays. It will also be archived after the fact if you're not able to tune in upon initial airing. We'll be sure to update when we know anything new.

I feel like I've said this before, but it becomes no less true each time it's said, Nick and I can't thank you all enough for the support you've all shown us. This has been such an amazing experience releasing this first issue. Thank you.

Looking forward to meeting some more folks at the VFW Show this weekend!

#221 4 years ago

Hello All,

The promotional interviews continue to trickle in, as Jeff Teolis uploaded a massive, multi-interview, episode from his many travels in the past month. Nick and I are interviewed about Coin-Op Carnival and Nick's tremendous Multi-Bingo around the 25 minute mark:

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/ep-195-mega-episode_144408

I'm also fresh off my weekend exhibiting at...

...near Ann Arbor, MI...

CCtourScheduleVFW (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleVFW (resized).jpg

...which was a right dandy time.

My Friday began with a sip of tea from my...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...Ulek Store...surprise gift...

IMG_20190503_072105135 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_072105135 (resized).jpg

...before taking my son to school and dashing off to the "E.M. World Championships" at the start of the showcase weekend. I believe there were about 64 people competing ( j_m_ are my numbers correct?) and when I got knocked out there were 6 people remaining in the competition. So, I don't think I earned any bragging rights from my 7th place showing, but I always have a great time at that tournament. 1 on 1 competitions throughout the day with time to meet and converse with your partner as you're playing. Great fun.

After getting knocked-out, I set up my booth behind the bar at the back of the main hall:

IMG_20190503_170606760 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_170606760 (resized).jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cfh 's collection of 400+ machines is the best kept, widest era spanning, assembly of games I've ever laid eyes on.

IMG_20190503_174649114 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_174649114 (resized).jpg

The collection of neon is almost as extensive as the games themselves, like this little gem behind the bar where I was exhibiting:

IMG_20190504_135135466 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_135135466 (resized).jpg

Pretty awesome to have access to this assortment of so many rarely seen titles. New additions to this year's roster were a handful of pre-war games scattered about. Here are just a couple examples (can't believe I didn't get pictures of the others):

IMG_20190504_115635426 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115635426 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190503_141139047 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_141139047 (resized).jpg

I managed a pretty decent game on Bally's "Air Way", sinking 8 out of 10 balls:

IMG_20190503_141205371 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_141205371 (resized).jpg

Then, of course, there was the drool-inducing collection of woodrails:

IMG_20190504_115553869 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115553869 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115600696 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115600696 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190504_115608911 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115608911 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115618429 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115618429 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115627538 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115627538 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115654707 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115654707 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115706731 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115706731 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115713501 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115713501 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115723808 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115723808 (resized).jpg

Oh, and did I neglect to mention the line-up of upright and skill-roll games?

IMG_20190504_115735711 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115735711 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115740779 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115740779 (resized).jpg

elmoDies.gifelmoDies.gif

I could continue, but I was there to let people know about our book. Many of which were purchased. And it was so delightful to connect with people over this passion project of ours! The unfortunate part of these updates is that it's hard to photograph and make visual these experiences and relationships. I've really come to value these conversations, repeated meetings, and developed friendships over the years of exhibiting at shows like this. Moreover, I feel odd singling out any particular meeting because I won't be able to mention all of them, nor would I do them any justice with a short recount, so I'll just take this opportunity to lapse into a brief parade of pictures from the weekend:

IMG_20190503_192020517 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_192020517 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_145634769.jpgIMG_20190503_145634769.jpgIMG_20190503_145620501.jpgIMG_20190503_145620501.jpgIMG_20190505_095443497.jpgIMG_20190505_095443497.jpgIMG_20190503_144336441.jpgIMG_20190503_144336441.jpgIMG_20190503_144328746.jpgIMG_20190503_144328746.jpgIMG_20190503_144322643.jpgIMG_20190503_144322643.jpg

...and my 3-day view from behind the bar:

IMG_20190503_171347902.jpgIMG_20190503_171347902.jpg

On Sunday, the final day of the show, I completed a puzzle with my son before leaving home for the day:

IMG_20190505_071548752 (resized).jpgIMG_20190505_071548752 (resized).jpg

A great number of folks in the Michigan Pinball community approached me over the weekend to ask about my fine son and recounted memories of him as a wee fellow being worn on my chest at various events. Our big little dude is a little too big for that these days.

Anyhow, on this last day of the VFW Show, I tried getting out from behind the table every once in a while to sample the majority of the woodrails.

I've heard Gottlieb game designer, Wayne Neyens, mention his (and his family's) fondness for Niagara, and after playing it I can see why his kids were upset when Wayne traded it away for a set of encyclopedias. Very fun game with that characteristically pitch-perfect Neyens thresholding built into a gaggle of ways to win replays. Add to that the accomplished, whimsical, and intricate artwork by Roy Parker, and I can see why this title is in high demand:

IMG_20190505_120423776 (resized).jpgIMG_20190505_120423776 (resized).jpg

Thumbs up, indeed!

Next, I was really drawn to the theme (CROQUET!??!) of Green Pastures , but found the gameplay pretty difficult. The layout of the bumper sequence was actually quite inventive and daring, as it was layed-out in the configuration of a croquet field. Unfortunately, it felt too challenging to accomplish, with the second half of the number sequence ascending up the playfield and posts drilled into the middle of the playing surface obstructing desirable ball paths off the flippers. And while there were still a number of different ways to win replays, this game seemed to have those replay thresholds set way too high. I didn't even come close to achieving any of them. When I walked up to the game, based on theme and artwork I thought this would instantly rocket to the top of my short list. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I felt quite the contrary as I walked away:

IMG_20190505_120419791 (resized).jpgIMG_20190505_120419791 (resized).jpg

Thumbs downy.

Perhaps I just need some more time on this game to appreciate it. I wish I did because of the theme and artwork, but perhaps I'm just saving myself the pain of trying to find one, as it's a pretty low production run game.

Anyhow, this one seems to be a mainstay of the VFW, but a new addition I spotted in a separate annex was 1950's "Rose Bowl":

IMG_20190504_181946570 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_181946570 (resized).jpg

This title is thematically reminiscent of the designer's (Wayne Neyens, again) first game, College Daze, which was released just a couple of years prior. Rose-Bowl , however, has an interesting feature in which the game provides a random score for the visiting team at the start of the game and your job, as the home team, is to beat their score by the end of 5 balls. However, much like "Green Pastures", this was another instance where I felt like the replay thresholds were set impossibly high, making the game much less fun when the possibility of winning feels too far away. But again, that was merely a first impression and perhaps I just got a couple of high visiting scores to beat.

Nevertheless, I was thankful for the opportunity to play a number of these rare games I'd not had the chance to prior to this past weekend.

More importantly, I'm glad to have connected with a great number of readers, which has me jazzed for the next tour stop in Fort Wayne, IN at Summit Sports, Comics, and Games!

CCtourScheduleSummit (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleSummit (resized).jpg

This particular date lands on a Wednesday, which also happens to be new comic book day (the day each week that new comics are released). So come on out to Summit in Fort Wayne on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 for your chance to take a look at our new book in person.

Thank you for your continued support of our project! ...and coming soon, we'll have an unexpected announcement to share with you.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I saw a copy was donated to the prize raffle at ZapCon over the weekend.

We did not, but I'd be curious who did! Very cool, regardless.

Quoted from Coindork:

I pointed it out to a few people when it was sitting on the prize table telling them how cool it is and to check it out

...and THANK YOU for helping to spread the word!

and to me it looks to be a bit of a narrow game (for that era).

Perhaps, but I think also a bit l-o-n-g-e-r?

Anyhow...

- --- ----- N-E-W-S ----- --- -

Do you remember about 5 days ago when...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside."

Well, here's an excerpt from an email we just received:

- --- --- -
    The conversation you recorded with Cynthia Canty about Coin-Op Carnival will air today on our show.

Stateside airs from 3-4 p.m. and again from 10-11 p.m. on Michigan Radio:
    91.7 FM – Ann Arbor/Detroit
    91.1 FM – Flint
    104.1 FM – West Michigan
    MichiganRadio.org – online streaming

You'll also be able to find the full audio of your segment around 5 p.m. today on the Stateside page of our website, MichiganRadio.org.
    - --- --- -

Let's see how this turned out and if they honored my request NOT to play The Who's "Pinball Wizard."

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Ryan confirmed to me at vfw that minstrel man will not be in the cards for an art adaptation.

shakes.gifshakes.gif

So, as I was saying...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick @bingopodcast Baldridge, and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside" to talk about our new pinball-related project.

Well, that aired, and now it's archived here:

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/stateside-state-senate-passes-auto-insurance-reform-pinball-history-comic-book-new-west-mi

^^^ ...just scroll about 1/2 - 2/3 down that page to find our isolated segment.

Enjoy,
    Ryan

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

The PaperCraft projects look great but I don't want to cut up my book!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I swear it wasn't our intention to sell more books based on the back-to-back printing of those papercraft models. If someone wants to make a laserjet color copy of the papercraft model from their purchased book, I certainly wouldn't fault them for that. In fact, I'd relish a photograph or two of someone who actually completed them.

Send us a picture here when you put 'em together!

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

OMG the VFW pics are to die for.
    Drop Kick!
    Mermaid!
    Ten Strike!
    Carnival!
    ugggh on Minstrel Man, a relic of it's era I guess.
    Lucky 7 roll-up!
    Turf Champ!
    Ringer!
    Skill Roll & SKill Score & Skill Derby!!!
    Mystic STar!

I know, Cait...I know... *sighs*

- --- ----- --- -

In other news, do you all remember when I mentioned...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...coming soon, we'll have an unexpected announcement to share with you.

Well, this whole book release/tour/online sales/etc THING has exceeded our wildest expectations. Please allow me to spin you a brief yarn...

We initially printed 1,100 copies of Coin-Op Carnival #1. I expected this would keep us stocked for 2, 3, maybe 4 years or so. Which is just fine, because we're in this for the long haul (a 4 issue series with a release roughly every other year). However, about a month after the release, we were only about 4 or 5 tour stops in, and our stock was down to about 2-300 copies. At this rate, we were pretty certain we would not have enough copies to sell at the remaining tour stops. A GREAT PROBLEM TO HAVE, to be sure. With all that said, I've been making some minor changes to the illustration/book files for the past week-ish, and...our GRAND ANNOUNCEMENT IS:

WE'RE REPRINTING COIN-OP CARNIVAL #1 ONLY A MONTH AND A HALF AFTER ITS RELEASE!!!

So, on Tuesday, I sent said illustration/book files off to a local printer here in Lansing, MI, and today I picked up the proofs:

IMG_20190509_104304553 (resized).jpgIMG_20190509_104304553 (resized).jpg

This afternoon, I'll hand the proofs back to the printer for approval and tomorrow morning I'll be on site for press check as they begin printing the covers and interiors!

Nick and I both wanted to send out our sincerest thanks to everyone who has made this passion project venture of ours such an overwhelming success. I know we've said things in the past, like...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

we really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

Thank you to all who have ordered

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

we cannot thank you enough for your overwhelming support

It was great to meet all of you and thank you all for your very nice words about the project...

...and sometimes I feel like our gratitude, sincere as it is, might get mistaken for platitudes. However, we hope that this transparent and quantitative data helps to put into sharp perspective how grateful we are for the pinball community's support from the moment this project was released. We are absolutely bowled-over by all this and it completely lights our fire to continue this project for years to come. ...and, expect some press-check pictures tomorrow.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Most sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

expect some press-check pictures tomorrow.

Happy tomorrow! So, I went in for press check at 8am this morning. The printers were running our book on their two big presses, one for the covers and one for the interiors. Here's the start with the paper being fed on the right side:

printingCC1wide.gifprintingCC1wide.gif

After making its way through each of the four (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black) drums, it ends up on this side:

IMG_20190510_090639768 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_090639768 (resized).jpg

Kinda like this:

printingCC1.gifprintingCC1.gif

I took a close look for color accuracy and density.

IMG_20190510_082159001_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_082159001_HDR (resized).jpg

Everything looked fantastic, so it got my signature of approval. Once the stack for that particular signature is complete, the giant brick of paper is set aside to dry before printing on the other side.

IMG_20190510_090657921 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_090657921 (resized).jpg

As I mentioned, covers were being printed on another giant press. Here they are being spit-out in rapid succession:

IMG_20190510_091007679 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_091007679 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the grand and glorious bar code for our book (located on the inside-front cover) wasn't printing appropriately. I created the file so that the barcode was completely thresholded and essentially printing in binary, either black or nothing. Translated, that means it was set up to have SUPER sharp edges, but it was printing with halftoned edges (a bunch of little dots on all edges of the bar code). I had a copy of the first printing handy and showed them that the identical file printed with nice crisp edges on the bar code. To make a long and boring story short, the pre-press fellow worked it out, created a new black plate, replaced that new black plate on the press that was printing the covers, printed a few new copies, and the new plate had the covers looking fabulous!

IMG_20190510_090843735 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_090843735 (resized).jpg

...which warranted another signature of approval:

signature (resized).jpgsignature (resized).jpg

All this to say, if it's at all possible, I like to be present when the books are running off the line. First of all, it's nice to be available to intercept any issues, like the bar code I mentioned above, or color inconsistencies, of which there were none. But it's also just a complete charge to see all the activity...

IMG_20190510_090111144 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_090111144 (resized).jpg

...and the sheer mechanical wonder of these machines at work in concert with the people that orchestrate them:

IMG_20190510_090631379 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_090631379 (resized).jpg

Naturally, it's also a huge high seeing 2+ years of work finally stack-up in a tangible way:

IMG_20190510_090618478 (resized).jpgIMG_20190510_090618478 (resized).jpg

The process of printing Coin-Op Carnival #1 (...the second printing) should be done by the end of today. Collating, perforating, folding, saddle-stitching, and trimming, should all happen early next week. I'll update again when there's something new to report. In the meantime, I'm quite happy with the way things were progressing today. Can't wait to pick-up another 1,000 copies so that we're sure to make it though this tour with books in hand.

Thank you, again, for making this all possible. Without your voracious support, this, quite literally, would not be happening. Glad to share this experience with each of you.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

printingCC1light.gifprintingCC1light.gif

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Scanning the background for that fancy printer that puts the white down on the plastics

Ha-ha! You sly-devil, Jim. I swear this is not the same printer, though.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

This is SOOO freakin SWEET to see in process, running!!!!

Thank you for sharing this!!

Quoted from Pecos:

For someone who likes 'How Do They Make It' shows, it is awesome to see exactly how these books are made! Thanks for the inside peek!

Glad to hear this sort of process update is appreciated. It's not a quick post to craft, but I, too, am a sucker for a process outline. Those animated gifs were all created from short videos I took at the factory last week. If you look closely, you should be able to see the pages from CC#1 zooming by.

Regardless, thanks for the kind words, Pac and Pec!

Quoted from Dayhuff:

That looks all to familiar. But I'm glad you chose the right printer for the job......LOL.

Wait, what? Do you work at a print shop?

Quoted from Pecos:

Does this mean that I now have two valuable first edition copies of Coin-Op Carnival: Electrifying Tales of Mechanical Contraptions?

Yes? I guess the value will depend on what the market is willing to pay for it. Right now I hope they're not paying more than $15, because we've still got a couple hundred first printings available for that price. We just wanted to be sure we weren't in a rush to print more near the end of the tour. Right now I'm on summer break from teaching, so things are a little slower in my life, making it a good time to handle all these logistics and not get ourselves in a potentially sticky situation (tour stops with no books).

Quoted from MarkG:

Maybe it's just me, but if you were to pull a few off the stack before they're cut I bet there'd be some interest in the full panels...

Funny you should mention that...

IMG_20190514_114741759 (resized).jpgIMG_20190514_114741759 (resized).jpg

...guess what will be decorating my office walls in the new academic year.

- --- ----- --- -

RE-PRINT UPDATE

Regarding this week's update, yesterday I was taking care of credit card info, resale license, and other titillating payment logistics with the printer. Today, I was told that the books just got off the folder and should be ready for pick-up by Thursday. We're not in a rush on this, as we still have a number of first printings. ...but it's awfully nice not to be sweating a deadline. Woo!

- --- ----- --- -

IN THE NEWS

Finally, I wanted to mention some more great pieces of recognition:

1) Yesterday,

Coin-Op Carnivalwas mentioned on the "This Week in Pinball Podcast" (episode #46 around the 70:30 mark - https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-46-with-dennis-kriesel/ ) and new regular co-host, Dennis Kriesel, had some awfully nice things to say. Here's a highlight:

"Hard take from me; I think this will be in the top 3, for sure, of favorite pinball publications of 2019. And I think it seriously has a very good chance of winning."

Wow! Dennis DennisK Kriesel, thanks for the preemptive vote of confidence! Sincerely, after spending as much time as we have on this passion project publication, that means A LOTto us. Thank you.

2) Then, today, a mention on the TWIP website itself appeared:

twip051419 (resized).jpgtwip051419 (resized).jpg

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-may-7th-2019-2/

^^^ If you scroll about half-way down that page, you'll see the nice mention and the call to action from TWIP Founder, Jeff pin2d Patterson.

Many thanks for all the positive reactions and support! We really appreciate it. And while we might not post daily here, we do check our email quite frequently and typically respond within 24 hours. So, if you ever run into any difficulties, we're happy to hear from you, too!

Until some more books roll off the line, we hope this finds everyone well!

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

That looks all to familiar. But I'm glad you chose the right printer for the job......LOL.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wait, what? Do you work at a print shop?

Quoted from Dayhuff:

Going on 28 years.....

Wha--

Fire-juggling-friend-fail.gifFire-juggling-friend-fail.gif

ERMERGERD!!! *Friend-Fail*

*hangs head*

...see you tomorrow, John. *sigh*

#253 4 years ago

At Summit Sports, Comics and Games in Fort Wayne, IN for the next couple hours as part of the 2019 Coin-Op Carnival Release Tour!IMG_20190515_094433723_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_094433723_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_095446427 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_095446427 (resized).jpg

51b9d0233bb1d0c4f6e7d5a22cb5df9f9f7906c1 (resized).jpg51b9d0233bb1d0c4f6e7d5a22cb5df9f9f7906c1 (resized).jpg
    #254 4 years ago

The signing at...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Summit Sports, Comics and Games in Fort Wayne, IN

...last week went well. I've never been to this store's Indiana location (they have a second location in Lansing, MI...where I live) and I was pretty taken aback upon walking in:

IMG_20190515_095631330 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_095631330 (resized).jpg

The location was HUGE with product piled floor to very high ceiling, making it a fun place to explore. I arrived shortly before their opening bell and they already had a table set up for me in a main aisle of their store:

IMG_20190515_095559317 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_095559317 (resized).jpg

I set up our product and was ready to go by the time doors opened:

IMG_20190515_095446427 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_095446427 (resized).jpg

Because it was...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wednesday, which also happens to be new comic book day (the day each week that new comics are released)

...I chat with a number of folks who, while interested in comics, pinball and coin-op was completely off their radar. Which was perfectly fine! The goal of this book is to reach multiple audiences: coin-op/pinball enthusiasts as well as those who haven't thought about pinball in a number of years. I had several conversations with curious parties about the state of the pinball industry and where this book is situated in the history of this rich hobby. Not all of them were interested enough to give it a try, but several of them were! The store itself also purchased a number of copies before I left, so if you're in the Fort Wayne, IN area and you'd like to take a look through the book in-person before purchasing, head over to:

Summit Sports, Comics and Games
    4240 W. Jefferson Blvd, #8
    Fort Wayne, IN 46804

...and ask to see Coin-Op Carnival. Many thanks to Summit for their commitment to us and their support of the 2019 Coin-Op Carnival Tour!

The tour stop lasted a couple hours and ended around noon. After packing my bags and grabbing a burrito for the road, I started the couple hour trek back to Michigan. Before crossing back into my home state, I spotted an Indiana Antique Store off the highway and back a little dirt road:

IMG_20190515_130049641 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_130049641 (resized).jpg

...and decided to stop:

IMG_20190515_130103231_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_130103231_HDR (resized).jpg

They didn't have anything in the way of coin-op. The closest I found was this carny target:

IMG_20190515_131531963 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_131531963 (resized).jpg

...but for that price:

IMG_20190515_131539972 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_131539972 (resized).jpg

...I took a hard pass.

They also had a...uh...

IMG_20190515_130216169 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_130216169 (resized).jpg

...uhm...an...old...dried-up...corn...post?

IMG_20190515_130220392 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_130220392 (resized).jpg

Oh, a Cob Tree. That's what I said.

balky.gifbalky.gif

Anyhow, I did run across a couple books of interest, like this one on tin cans...

IMG_20190515_132104282 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_132104282 (resized).jpg

...that had some gorgeous design examples inside:

IMG_20190515_131928013 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_131928013 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_131935299 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_131935299 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_132303889 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_132303889 (resized).jpg

...and this other book on vintage radio repair:

IMG_20190515_132718102 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_132718102 (resized).jpg

Eventually, I got back on the road and continued my trip home, during which I got a call from a delivery company. If you recall, the reprints of our...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...books...should [have been] ready for pick-up by Thursday...

...however, it seems as though they were ready a day early (this being Wednesday) and the delivery truck was already at my doorstep. I told him I was expecting a call to schedule the delivery prior to the books showing up at my home. That didn't make much difference as the books were in a truck at my house. I told the delivery fellow it would be another couple of hours before I arrived home, but that he could go ahead and leave them on the front step. I trust my neighbors and didn't think much of it...until this pleasant, blue-skied, drive...

IMG_20190515_162139150 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_162139150 (resized).jpg

...began to cloud over...

IMG_20190515_162827981 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_162827981 (resized).jpg

...and get progressively darker...

IMG_20190515_163207841 (resized).jpgIMG_20190515_163207841 (resized).jpg

...the closer I got to my home.

At this point I felt like I was in a race against weather in an effort to remove our books from the elements before an unanticipated rainstorm ruined them.

Thankfully, I arrived prior to any precipitation and found all the books safely stacked outside:

boxes (resized).jpgboxes (resized).jpg

To make a long story short, the books have now been moved safely inside, stored, and we're ready to complete our tour without the fear of running short on books.

Speaking of tour stops, the next one is quickly approaching, in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS(!??!) This time I'll be out west in Pacific Time Zone at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, NV:

CCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpgCCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpg

Here's some copy-and-pastable information:

Coin Op Carnival Tour Stop
    Pinball Hall of Fame
    1610 E. Tropicana Ave
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    Sunday, June 2, 2019
    11AM-1PM

I'd love to meet any pinsiders out there and if you know of anyone in Vegas you think might be interested, we'd love your help spreading the word.

Thanks for your continued support,
    Ryan and Nick

#257 4 years ago

Wait, on that Tin Can book, is that ...

LIONCAN!!!

Hope you still have some of the books left by mid July.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

boxes (resized).jpgboxes (resized).jpg

Quoted from PiscisMagnus:

The cob tree is for the birds...literally. You Cali kids, sheesh. And you teaching at mighty, mighty MSU too (sigh).

whoopsy.gifwhoopsy.gif

I don't think we talked about my summers earning money as a carny at the Calhoun County fair.

oooo.gifoooo.gif

Anyway, I finished Coin-op Carnival and am looking forward to Vol 2.

ohstopit.gifohstopit.gif

P.S. Incoming PM, Herm.

1 week later
    #259 4 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

If you haven't seen this book in person, make a point to get one. Awesome book, from some really great people.

Thanks, Shane, that means a lot to us. Sincerely.

- --- ------ --- -

Speaking of opportunities to see the book, this...

sunday.gifsunday.gif

...Coin-Op Carnival will be at the...

phof (resized).jpgphof (resized).jpg

...in Las Vegas Nevada:

CCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpgCCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpg

Here's the deets in glorious text-format:

Coin Op Carnival Tour Stop
    Pinball Hall of Fame
    1610 E. Tropicana Ave
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    Sunday, June 2, 2019
    11AM-1PM

Hope to see you there!

- --- ------ --- -

Then, the FOLLOWING...

sundayTruckasaurus.gifsundayTruckasaurus.gif

...Nick will hold a presentation and book signing on the opposite end of the country at the...

rpc.jpgrpc.jpg

...in Richomond, VA:

CCtourScheduleRPC.jpgCCtourScheduleRPC.jpg

Textual deeters:

Richmond Pinball Collective
    9550 Midlothian Turnpike, #112
    Richmond, VA 23235
    Sunday, June 9, 2019
    11AM-1PM

- --- ------ --- -

Thanks for making these tour stops so darned enjoyable for us. We really appreciate your continued support and look forward to meeting more folks out on the road this year!

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Anyone heading to Hawkesbury, Ontario for the Pinball gathering this weekend, I'll be bringing a bunch of copies for sale.

So awesome. Thanks for chiming in here, Cait, and for being an ambassador of our book. Hope you sell out of your copies!

#264 4 years ago
    IMG_20190602_090157990 (resized).jpgIMG_20190602_090157990 (resized).jpg
    #265 4 years ago

Here 'til 1pm!

IMG_20190602_111630231 (resized).jpgIMG_20190602_111630231 (resized).jpg
    #268 4 years ago

Do they still have "Ringer" there? It used to be right up there in the front.

It seemed to be shoved in the back storage area this time.

I talked to several techs / volunteers at the Museum of Pinball Saturday night that have copies of The Coin op Carnival, and at least one that met you at the Texas Pinball Festival.

Ha-ha! So cool!!! Thanks for relaying the message. We love to hear about the book getting into people's hands!

Hey all, quietly filling orders over here still. We had a new country join the map recently, Japan!
    Thanks to those that saw Ryan over the weekend in Vegas!
    If you find yourselves in Richmond or environs this Sunday - please come see me at the Richmond Pinball Collective for the next tour stop - I'll be giving a presentation on the creation of Coin-Op Carnival, with Q&A and a book signing to follow. Join us!
    If you're tired of talking/listening to me talk, there's an open house at the RPC following the Q&A for anyone who wants to play some pinball.

Can't wait to hear about your first solo signing, my bro! Just chat with your better half to make sure there will be some pictures of this exciting event:

CCtourScheduleRPC (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleRPC (resized).jpg

Speaking of the event, it's only 4 days away and you can even sign up on the Facespace event that's been lovingly created by the RPC:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1286439174855307/

Wish I could be there!!! I'd love to hear some reports back here. MAKE ME JEALOUS!!!

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

By the way I found a new game in LV that I love to play. It’s called “Bubble Craps”

2 weeks later
    #274 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Stop by D&D Pinball in Tucson and you can take a gander at Coin-Op Carnival:

Ha-ha! So cool!!! Thanks a bunch for your support, Pecos! We really appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone that came out and supported Coin-Op Carnival, and to the Richmond Pinball Collective for hosting!

Nice work in Virginia, my dude! Looked like a great stop. Wish I could have been there!

- --- ----- --- -

Speaking of tour stops, there's another couple coming up next month, both in California.

First, I'll be at my hometown brick and mortar book shop, The Book Loft, in Solvang, CA!

bookloft (resized).jpgbookloft (resized).jpg

The Santa Ynez Valley (in which Solvang is located) is a picturesque little paradise where I grew up. This book-signing takes place at the venerable Book Loft in Solvang, CA.

Coin-Op Carnival Tour Stop
    July 3rd, 2019 from 2-3pm
    The Book Loft
    1680 Mission Dr, Solvang, CA 93463

CCtourScheduleBookLoft (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleBookLoft (resized).jpg

There’s also a facebook event for this one: https://www.facebook.com/events/1176271165891558/

...and if you're not familiar with the Danish capital of America, it's even been highlighted on an episode of the Simpsons:

- --- ----- --- -

Following up the July 3rd signing, Coin-Op Carnival will be featured in San Diego, CA at the largest comics and pop culture event in North America, Comic-Con International!

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2018-Banners-photo-by-Kendall-Whitehouse-1024x440 (resized).jpgSan-Diego-Comic-Con-2018-Banners-photo-by-Kendall-Whitehouse-1024x440 (resized).jpg

I’ll be behind table P-16 in the Small Press Pavilion, which doesn’t make any sense if you try to find it by way of the gigantic hanging aisle markers. However, if you head to the back of the 1800 aisle, you should find me at the start of the Small Press tables. Here’s a map to assist you in the search:

elephanteatertablelocation2017 (resized).jpgelephanteatertablelocation2017 (resized).jpg

…and here’s some more information to help you on your way:

July 17-21, 2019
    Comic-Con International
    San Diego Convention Center
    111 W. Harbor Dr.
    San Diego, CA 92101

CCtourScheduleCCI (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleCCI (resized).jpg

Best of luck securing your tickets!

- --- ----- --- -

So there you have it! A couple more stops on the 2019 Coin-Op Carnival Tour! Hope to see you on the West Coast!

#276 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

This book-signing takes place at the venerable Book Loft in Solvang, CA.

The Book Loft

Next Wednesday is quickly approaching, and the local papers are starting to take notice:

https://syvnews.com/entertainment/comics/reviving-the-past-comic-illustrator-pinball-expert-former-santa-ynez/article_6bff9ba2-5a7a-5293-86bc-a00bbf545661.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Hope to see you there!

#277 4 years ago

In case you haven't subscribed to the Brokentoken Podcast (and really, why wouldn't you), we wanted to make you aware of their latest episode (#81) which features Nick and a bunch of talk about Coin-Op Carnival!

https://www.brokentoken.com/podcast-episodes/81-the-name-dropper/

#278 4 years ago

Touched down in California today and rolled into my old hometown of Santa Ynez, CA. When I stopped to pick up my parents' mail, I got a surprise on the front page of the B section:

IMG_20190702_213226536 (resized).jpgIMG_20190702_213226536 (resized).jpg

...with a little spill-over:

IMG_20190702_213243512 (resized).jpgIMG_20190702_213243512 (resized).jpg

I thought this story was gonna reside online, so this was a welcome surprise leading into tomorrow's tour stop.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The Book Loft

See ya at 2pm!

#281 4 years ago

Happy 4th of July, Coin-Op Carnival Crew!

Yesterday's signing went GREAT! My hometown crowd came out for a tremendous showing. In fact, thanks to the Solvang tour stop, we are now COMPLETELY out of T-shirts!

model (resized).jpgmodel (resized).jpg

So, for today only, we'll have a pre-order list of interest. Here's how it will work:

Email [email protected] with your desired size(s) you'd like to purchase and we'll include them in our re-order of shirts.

That's it.

This will be your only chance to GUARANTEE that you get the size you want. Outside of this pre-order, we'll only have the typical unisex sizes in limited quantities. Right now, you can let us know if you'd like a Unisex XS-3XL or a Ladies cut (which typically run a little smaller than unisex and have more of an hourglass cut) in XS-2XL. Shirts will be the same price they've always been ($20 +tax/shipping).

On July 5th, the pre-order will end and we'll place our order.

Thank you, everyone, for your continued support of our passion project! We're so grateful for the overwhelming reception.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Are you going to visit MJ's Neverland ranch nearby?
    Is Anderson Pea Soup still open in Buellton?
    Did you ever witness any rocket launches from VandenbergAFB?

Rocket launches: Yes, my parents live on a hill in the SYV, so I've seen a couple. Pretty neat!

Anderson Pea Soup: Yeah, but overhyped. I'd rather have my mom's crock pot pea soup any day of the week.

MJ's ranch: Visited the gate a few times years ago. Never been past.

None for SDCC? (I have mine, but asking for another attendee).

"Another attendee" has already messaged me , but good touching base, Gir! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks!

#284 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

July 17-21, 2019
    Comic-Con International
    San Diego Convention Center
    111 W. Harbor Dr.
    San Diego, CA 92101

Hey, all! I mentioned our next tour stop at Comic-Con International, which is quickly approaching, but what I didn't mention is that I'll be conducting a presentation on Friday of the big weekend...

Pinball and Comics!
    Day: Friday, July 19th, 2019
    Time: 10:00a.m. – 11:00a.m.
    Room: Grand 12, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina (the hotel immediately West of the convention center)
    Description: Michigan State University professor and award-winning comics creator, Ryan Claytor, outlines Coin-Op Carnival, a new 64-page print publication. Coin-Op Carnival is the only source for full-color, completely illustrated content documenting the history and stories surrounding electro-mechanical coin-operated amusement devices (pinball and pre-video arcade games manufactured prior to 1978). Each issue includes an interview with a game designer, in-depth game reviews, E.M. tech explained, product spotlights, comics, and more. Every page of the publication features new full-color illustrations and comics from Ryan Claytor, with articles written by both Claytor and Nick Baldridge, host of “For Amusement Only, the E.M. and Bingo Pinball Podcast” and creator of the custom-built “Multi-Bingo” pinball machine.

Would love to see you out there!

#285 4 years ago

*duplicate post*

#287 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the presentation!

Awesome! Really appreciate your support Gir. It's off-site at the Marriot next door, so I guess we'll all figure where this Room: Grand 12" is together.

Thanks, in advance for any help you all can lend with amplifying this event. Our buddy, Jack Danger, already gave it the Dead Flip bump over on Facebook.

Hope to see you there!

1 week later
    #292 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone who attended my presentation this morning about our new publication, Coin-Op Carnival, that bingopodcast and I put together. I'm behind table P-16 (back of the 1800 aisle) throughout the weekend. Special thanks to girloveswaffles for keeping this thread active during this busy weekend!IMG_20190719_123149_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190719_123149_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190719_104621352 (resized).jpgIMG_20190719_104621352 (resized).jpgelephanteatertablelocation2017 (resized).jpgelephanteatertablelocation2017 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190719_092615431 (resized).jpgIMG_20190719_092615431 (resized).jpg

#293 4 years ago

So...wow. The Comic-Con International tour stop happened and, I've gotta say...mercy me.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

COPY...

...of Coin-Op Carnival that I brought to California was sold. (Don't fret, we still have more available on our website.) By Saturday (day 4 of a 5 day convention), I was sold-out. Kinda bitter sweet, really. Wish I would have brought more, but BOY HOWDY, was that ever a good problem to have. Many thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hello and/or pick-up a book. This year has been quite the experience.

- --- ----- --- -

In some minor news, that T-shirt re-order we placed arrived just in time for Comic-Con...

CCshirt (resized).jpgCCshirt (resized).jpg

...and perhaps more exciting, the Coin-Op Carnival shirts are once again available on our website.

- --- ----- --- -

Finally, I'd like to mention our next signing. This is a big one, and I'll tell you why after the details here:

CCtourScheduleBurkeBaker (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleBurkeBaker (resized).jpg

Burke Baker Planetarium
    5555 Hermann Dr, Houston, TX 77030
    August 3, 2019 - 6:30PM
    Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/509648466444521/

burke (resized).jpgburke (resized).jpg

Okay, so first of all, you may have noticed that we're at a planetarium. Why? Because during the process of interviewing Wayne Neyens for this issue, I took a trip down to see him and hauled a 360 degree camera with me to record a couple of short interviews (about 10 minutes a piece). These videos show Wayne with his last remaining pinball machine Spirit of 76 in his garage, then we head into his home office where he discusses a number of pieces of pinball memorabilia hanging around the walls. Not only are these videos presented as a full-dome immersive experience (so you feel as though you're IN Wayne's garage or IN Wayne's home office), but over the course of the following year, I worked with a local planetarium tech to edit the video with high resolution images (that zoom into PLANETARIUM SIZE images, so you can see exactly what Wayne is talking about), additional superimposed video (so you can see Wayne run the table as he plays a game on his @spirit-of-76 ), subtitles, and more. This has only been shown publicly once before (tour stop number 2) and we don't have plans to air it again anytime soon.

On top of all that, this will be the second of only two tour stops where Nick and I will both be present (the other one was the launch of the book at TPF in March). We do not offer mail-order autographed books anymore (it was a giant hassle with the two of us so far apart) so this will be a rare opportunity to have your book signed by BOTH authors at once.

Finally, we'll be presenting a behind-the-scenes look at how this publication was conceived and pull back the curtain to show you some process images documenting how the book was created through illustrated images and copious research.

We're really looking forward to this one and hope a few pinsiders might be in the audience. If you are, please be sure to introduce yourself.

See you August 3rd!

#294 4 years ago

UPDATE:

This is really a bummer to report. The Saturday, August 3rd, 2019 Burke Baker Planetarium event, mentioned above, was cancelled due to low pre-sales. This is such a shame, as we'd put a ton of work into preparing for it. However, we are currently working to organize an alternate event in Houston.

If you have pinball ties in the Houston area, please private message me.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#295 4 years ago

Hot on the heels of the unfortunate news about our Houston tour stop cancellation, we have some good news to follow it up. We're still coming to Houston and now we're doing two stops instead of just one:

Coin-Op Carnival Book Signing
    Saturday, Aug 3rd, 2019 from 1-3pm
    Bedrock City Comic Company
    6516 Westheimer Rd
    Houston, TX 77057
    https://www.bedrockcity.com/westheimer

Coin-Op Carnival Book Signing
    Saturday, Aug 3rd, 2019 from 6-8pm
    The Game Preserve - NASA Location
    20810 Gulf Fwy., Unit Z
    Webster, TX 77598
    http://www.gamepreservehouston.com

We'd like to thank both Bedrock City Comic Company and The Game Preserve for putting their faith in us and becoming a part of the Coin-Op Carnival Tour on such short notice. Houston, we hope to see you at either signing...OR BOTH!

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

Added over 5 years ago:

Bedrock City Comic Company Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/478599346023993/

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

NASA! Sweet.

For real! Don't think we'll be able to go, but cool nonetheless!

Ryan,
    Really sorry to hear this. My wife and I were extremely excited about this when we met you guys at TPF. However, we soon became bummed out when we realized that weekend was our annual family reunion for this year. We made sure to tell everyone in the community about this and to see you guys at the planetarium. Bedrock City is a cool place and I spent a good amount of time there as a kid buying old Star Wars toys. The Game Preserve is also a very special place and the new Webster location is awesome. My band played there on Friday night and Saturday night for their grand opening this past weekend. They have worked really hard to get their second location opened up. You will be blown away by all the artwork that was done by Blake Dumesnil bd_designs which you probably are already aware of. Hope to see you soon!

Hey Hooked,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm awfully sorry the planetarium gig didn't work out. We were really working hard, doing a lot of coordination to get everything ready for that, and essentially had it all ironed out. However, from your descriptions, it sounds like we've managed to find a couple of excellent alternatives (which is actually quite reassuring, as we're not familiar with Houston)! We're really looking forward to the new locations, though, and really appreciate you letting folks know about the change! Finally, I wasn't aware that @bd_designs did all the artwork inside the new Game Preserve! Now I'm even more anxious to check out this amazing new venue!

- --- ----- --- -

Speaking of amazing Houston venues, Bedrock City Comic Company made short work of promoting this event! In less than 24 hours of event confirmation, they already had a Facebook event created:

https://www.facebook.com/events/478599346023993/

fbEvent (resized).jpgfbEvent (resized).jpg

On top of that, they're even looking into the possibility of bringing in a (SOME!?) pinball machine(s)!!! I couldn't believe that was even a thought in their mind (that I DID NOT PLANT)! I guess we'll see on Saturday if they manage to find anything. They're even reaching out to some local pinball organizations and leagues, so...this all sounds SUPER-promising.

Hope to see a few of you in Houston this weekend!

#302 4 years ago

We will have lots of books for sale at both of our Houston stops! Along with other assorted merchandise. I look forward to meeting you pickle, and anyone else that is able to make it to one of the new stops.

Same, Pickle !!! Just touched down and lookin' forward to tomorrow:

Coin-Op Carnival Book Signings
    Houston, TX
    Saturday, Aug 3rd, 2019  

From 1-3pm
    Bedrock City Comic Company 
    6516 Westheimer Rd 
    Houston, TX 77057 

From 6-8pm 
    The Game Preserve - NASA Location 
    20810 Gulf Fwy., Unit Z 
    Webster, TX 77598

IMG_20190802_152917837 (resized).jpgIMG_20190802_152917837 (resized).jpg
    #305 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Have fun in Houston

MY GOSH!!! Did we ever.

Stopped at the Lone Star Pinball Museum...

IMG_20190803_100510167 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_100510167 (resized).jpg

...and visited with another nicest dude in pinball, Dan Ferguson...

IMG_20190803_113722727 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_113722727 (resized).jpg

...who gave us a private tour, to start our day.

The LSPM was a place of awe and wonder. If you're ever in the area, I'd highly recommend looking it up and making an appointment with Dan to see it. Rather than trying to recount the glorious overwhelm, I'll just leave you with a few pictures:

IMG_20190803_092115884 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_092115884 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_092204689 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_092204689 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_093155917 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_093155917 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_094211922 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_094211922 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_094218102 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_094218102 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_095122403 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_095122403 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_095537031 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_095537031 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_100454479 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_100454479 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_100457889 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_100457889 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_102019719 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_102019719 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_102034576 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_102034576 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_103827042 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_103827042 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_103909607 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_103909607 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_104625873 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_104625873 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_104909685 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_104909685 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_105357450 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_105357450 (resized).jpg

After a couple short hours, we went to our first signing at Bedrock City Comic Company, a fabulous comic book retailer...

IMG_20190803_123555727 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_123555727 (resized).jpg

...who was super supportive, rolled out the red table cloth for us and made us feel really welcome. We had some folks walk in the door specifically to see us (thanks to pinside, facebook, or Houston area pinball emails that were sent out), as well as some walk-through traffic that met us by surprise. Bedrock also purchased quite a few copies so they could stock them at their various locations. So if you missed us this past weekend, there are a number of books in their stores.

Between this first signing and our second, we planned some time for dinner with Multimorphic Founder, Gerry @gstellenberg Stellenberg and his lovely lady. Gerry, how did we not get any pictures!??! Oh yeah, because we were all gabbin' it up the whole time. Regardless, Nick and I had a great time visiting with you both outside an expo context where we could relax and didn't have to yell in one another's ear holes in order to have a conversation.

Before we knew it, the time had come for our second signing of the day at...

IMG_20190803_175207852 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_175207852 (resized).jpg

...but wait, what's this down the way!?

IMG_20190803_175244430_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_175244430_HDR (resized).jpg

Bingotown, USA. Population Baldridge.

Anyhow, the new location of the Game Preserve was really a sight to behold, with tons of square footage, the highest of ceilings, and a healthy amount of games and customers (after only being open a week)!

IMG_20190803_204120120 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_204120120 (resized).jpg

They even have an eating/sitting area that looks like a giant Gottlieb "Black Hole" pinball machine...

IMG_20190803_205728414 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_205728414 (resized).jpg

...another wall that looks like an enormous Pac-Man cab, complete with 3-dimensional quarter mid-insert...

IMG_20190803_204547734 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_204547734 (resized).jpg

...a stage for possible performances...

IMG_20190803_204444252 (resized).jpgIMG_20190803_204444252 (resized).jpg

...and a bunch more. Anyhow, Erich (the fine fellow who helped us arrange our signing on such short notice) strategically positioned our table very near the entrance of the establishment. Again, we had some pinsiders stop by (HEY @pickle !!!), another fellow who brought his previously purchased book from Pinball Resource for us to sign (SO COOL), chat with a few other folks just enjoying the new location, and serendipitously one of my former students from SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY (OVER A DOZEN YEARS AGO!!!) caught wind of our signing and paid us a visit.

We wrapped the night with a few games at Game Preserve and paid my student a visit at his studio where we chat art, pinball, and life until we left to crash back at our hotel.

I feel like we crammed about two days worth of events into our Saturday. At the end of the day, we couldn't believe how much we'd seen and how many nice folks we met. It was glorious and despite the unexpected event cancellation, the two that replaced it made us feel pretty amazing. Thanks to everyone who chat with us over the course of that day. We had a wonderful time in Houston!

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Seeya in Roanoke next week Mr. B!

Haha, will do! See you soon.

As the Nic(k)s have alluded to, there's another Coin-Op Carnival tour stop this week!

CCtourScheduleRPM (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleRPM (resized).jpg

We're back to solo stops for the remainder of the tour (either Nick or I will be present, but not both). This time, not only will Nick Baldridge show up with a bunch of books and swag, but he'll also be doing a presentation! All this will be taking place in Roanoke, VA...

Star-Visit-Virginias-Blue-Ridge_preview-1 (resized).jpegStar-Visit-Virginias-Blue-Ridge_preview-1 (resized).jpeg

...at the Roanoke Pinball Museum...

IMG_20180105_123646 (resized).jpgIMG_20180105_123646 (resized).jpg

...THIS SUNDAY, August 11th, 2019.
    11am-1pm
    1 Market Square SE
    Roanoke, VA 24011

We hope to see you there and I SOOO WISH I could be there, too! I stopped at the RPM with my son about a year and a half ago...

IMG_20180105_123152 (resized).jpgIMG_20180105_123152 (resized).jpg

...shortly before @nicovolta started his tenure there. The place had such an amazing vibe built up, but the games needed some love. After a year and a half under Nic's watchful eye and new curatorial standards, I can only imagine the place shines brighter than ever.

All this to say, I'm jealous, guys! Have a fantastic Sunday. I'll be thinkin' of ya.

1 week later
    #313 4 years ago

Had a great stop at the Roanoke Pinball Museum this weekend!

Mah gawd!!! I almost breezed past that first picture. Tell your eldest how much I love that shot.

Wish I could have been there, but real glad to see how well things went! Can't wait to get back to Roanoke with my family.

Thanks, NicoVolta and the Roanoke Pinball Museum for hosting this stop on our tour!

3 weeks later
    #318 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Been following the tour via this thread, looking forward to seeing you fellas up in York in October.

Thanks for the kind words, Dono ! Nick will be behind a table near Bingo Row at The York Show. Wish I could be there. But guess what, we've got another stop before York coming up in just a couple weeks:

CCtourScheduleCapCity (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleCapCity (resized).jpg

East Lansing, MI
    Saturday, Sept 21, 2019 from 10am-6pm

Capital City Comic-Con
    534 Birch Rd
    East Lansing, MI 48824
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/capcitycomiccon/

I (Ryan) will be behind a table as a Special Guest the entire show, with first issues in hand, as well as some label pins, shirts, and assorted Coin-Op Carnival ephemera. I'll also deliver a presentation about Coin-Op Carnival at some point during the day (they've not yet released the schedule, but I'll post here again when they do).

Looking forward to seeing some Pinsiders (or friends of Pinsiders) on my home turf in East Lansing, Michigan!

Added over 5 years ago:

Presentation will be at 3pm in the Mezzanine Panel Room 1

#320 4 years ago

fanbaseWeekly (resized).jpgfanbaseWeekly (resized).jpg

The Fanbase Weekly podcast just released an interview with my Coin-Op Carnival co-writer, Nick Baldridge, and me.

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/audio/podcasts/the-fanbase-weekly/item/10284-fanbase-feature-an-interview-with-ryan-claytor-and-nick-bladrige-on-coin-op-carnival-and-the-history-of-electro-mechanical-coin-operated-amusement-devices?fbclid=IwAR18rxJr2plQflhdnGUrFySu3poebrSvp_OvognoyCmKUDROe59VEZcBB_s

Big thanks to Barbra Dillon for the feature! I even learned some things about my great friend and publication partner, bingopodcast ! Maybe you will, too!

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

East Lansing, MI

Capital City Comic-Con
    534 Birch Rd
    East Lansing, MI 48824
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/capcitycomiccon/

Just added:
    Presentation will be at 3pm in the Mezzanine Panel Room 1 on Saturday, Sept 21, 2019

#323 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Coin-Op Carnival will be available for purchase at the Ottawa Pinball and Gameroom Show this September 21+22: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/opgs-ottawa-pinball-amp-gameroom-show-2019-sep-21-22
    For people in the Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, London, Vermont, New York, etc areas, come check us out.

Thanks a bunch for your support, Cait!!! Means a lot to us.

3 weeks later
    #324 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

East Lansing, MI

Capital City Comic-Con

It's been a couple weeks since our last tour stop, which means a couple of things:

1) I owe you an update!

The Capital City Comic Con welcomed Coin-Op Carnival with open arms! In fact, our table neighbor was super-famous artist, Jim Benton. You know you've seen his Happy Bunny character SOMEWHERE (it's been EVERYWHERE)...

happyBunny (resized).jpghappyBunny (resized).jpg

Well, Jim and I got to talking over the course of the weekend...

jimBenton (resized).jpgjimBenton (resized).jpg

...and he was nice enough to surprise me with a coin-op inspired sketch of his newest character...

catwad (resized).jpgcatwad (resized).jpg

Pretty awesome! Coin-Op Carnival also got some love from a few characters at the convention:

ladyJoker (resized).jpgladyJoker (resized).jpg

monsters (resized).jpgmonsters (resized).jpg

Finally, the week following the convention we had a couple of invited visitors at Michigan State University (where I teach). Here are John Jennings and Stacey Robinson, two award-winning comics creators and scholars, with their copies of Coin-Op Carnival:

johnStacey (resized).jpgjohnStacey (resized).jpg

With our recent East Lansing tour stop wrap-up complete, WE HAVE ANOTHER STOP TO MENTION!!!

2) At the end of THIS WEEK the world-famous White Rose Gameroom Expo (The York Show) returns to York, PA...which is coincidentally, our next tour stop:

CCtourScheduleYork (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleYork (resized).jpg

I'm bummed to report that this will be a Nick-Only Coin-Op Carnival tour stop (BECAUSE I LOVE ATTENDING THE YORK SHOW!!!) Nick will be behind (or nearby) a table selling copies of Coin-Op Carnival #1 the entire show! I have a suspicion he'll be pulling double-duty as Coin-Op Carnival representative and Bingo Row technician. Ha-ha! All that to say, if you catch him in a rare moment away from the Coin-Op Carnival table, check inside the adjacent bingo pinball machines. So, here's all the York info to get you there:

York, PA
    Oct 11 & 12, 2019

The York Show
    York Fairgrounds and Expo Center
    Memorial Hall East
    York, Pennsylvania 17404
    Web: http://www.theyorkshow.com/

Sooo wish I could be there. Here's hoping we get some York pix posted here. Make me jealous with all the woodrail row, bingo row, and EM games! Ha-ha! Have a great time, everyone. YOU TOO, NICK!!!

1 week later
    #327 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

York, PA
    Oct 11 & 12, 2019

I'm going to be at York at the Coin-Op Carnival booth and in Bingo Row.

Hey, all!

Happy Monday and happy recovery to everyone who attended The York Show this past weekend! ...especially my co-writer and homey, bingopodcast !

img_20191010_173402 (resized).jpgimg_20191010_173402 (resized).jpgimg_20191011_094500 (resized).jpgimg_20191011_094500 (resized).jpgmvimg_20191011_114301 (resized).jpgmvimg_20191011_114301 (resized).jpg

Looked like it was an amazing weekend and I so wish I could have been there! Congrats to Nick on a busy weekend and HIS final Coin-Op Carnival tour stop. You done GREAT, my man!

BUT!!! The tour rolls on!!! ...for another couple of stops, anyway.

Coming up THIS WEEK are the final two stops of the entire tour. Starting out on Wednesday (just a couple days from now) I'll be signing copies of Coin-Op Carnival at a really fabulous comic book specialty shop in Milwaukee, WI:

CCtourScheduleLost (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleLost (resized).jpg

Milwaukee, WI
    Wednesday, Oct 16, 2019 from 5-7pm

Lost World of Wonders
    6913 W. Oklahoma Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53219

I'm really looking forward to this stop at one of the premier comic book specialty stores in Wisconsin.

THEN(!!!) to wrap up our entire tour, I'll be behind a vendor booth at the grand-daddy of all pinball shows, The Chicago Pinball Expo:

CCtourScheduleExpo (resized).jpgCCtourScheduleExpo (resized).jpg

Coin-Op Carnival FINALTour Stop
    Wheeling, IL
    October 17-19, 2019 - Open Hours

Pinball Expo
    601 N. Milwaukee Ave
    Wheeling, IL 60090

I'll also conduct a seminar on Coin-Op Carnival during Pinball Expo and here's where and when it will take place:

Saturday, October 19th, 2019
    11am in The River Ballroom
    Website: http://pinballexpo.net/guestspeakers.html#undefined3

Looking forward to seeing everyone for this, our final weekend (!??!) of the 2019 Coin-Op Carnival Release Tour!!!

Safe travels for Expo, everyone!

1 week later
    #334 4 years ago

Hey all,

So, I just wanted to chime in here with a quick wrap-up from the past 5 days of touring. Wow, was it ever a great way to finish the tour.

Let's start with...

IMG_20191016_165858645_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_165858645_HDR (resized).jpg

...a fantastic comic book shop in Milwaukee, WI! I got set up in pretty short order...

IMG_20191016_165836227 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_165836227 (resized).jpg

...and had a wonderful time chatting with their customers on new comic book day (every Wednesday at your local comic shop, if you're interested). Lots of great, non-pinball, readers were there and willing to try out a new publication. Who knows, perhaps there are some budding enthusiasts reading Coin-Op Carnival as I type. Ha-ha!

Before I knew it, two hours had elapsed and I was saying thanks and goodbye to store-runners, Kelly and Arie:

IMG_20191016_192617438_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_192617438_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg

As we left, I couldn't help but snap a picture of their glowing window:

IMG_20191016_192734737 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_192734737 (resized).jpg

This was my first time in Milwaukee, but I hope to return before too awfully long. Great city, great store, great people.

My weekend companion, tamoore , and I made our way back down south where we checked-in to our room at the Wheeling, IL Westin, where the 2019 Pinball Expo was taking place.

IMG_20191016_210205812 (resized).jpgIMG_20191016_210205812 (resized).jpg

The following morning I got the booth set up right between a couple of fabulous neighbors, Color DMD and Logan Arcade:

IMG_20191019_091735966 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_091735966 (resized).jpg

Before the vendor hall opened, I had a chance to catch up with good friend and pinball historian, Gordon Hasse, for lunch...

IMG_20191017_151352609 (resized).jpgIMG_20191017_151352609 (resized).jpg

...shortly before his seminar...

IMG_20191017_172358497 (resized).jpgIMG_20191017_172358497 (resized).jpg

...where he spoke about...

IMG_20191017_172713157 (resized).jpgIMG_20191017_172713157 (resized).jpg

Gordon is working on a book about this very subject that I aim to help him layout and design. He's putting the finishing touches on the copy, at which point I'll help make it look like a book. If you see him, tell him to hurry up with those edits!

Over the course of this whirlwind weekend, I had a seemingly infinite number of gratifying experiences with new and existing readers. It's always so hard to encapsulate an event like this. I usually compare it to a visit to another country; hard to define, so much to recount, with experiences that will likely have long term effects that seep out over time. With all that said, here are just a few highlights I had the wherewithal to document.

Pinball Artist Extraordinaire, John Youssi, stopped by:

IMG_20191018_205145994 (resized).jpgIMG_20191018_205145994 (resized).jpg

...as did Jay Stafford, Editor of the INVALUABLE Internet Pinball Database (www.ipdb.org):

IMG_20191019_124243938 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_124243938 (resized).jpg

A couple surprise guests made their way over to the booth, too, like Bride of Elvira-bot:

IMG_20191018_212100051 (resized).jpgIMG_20191018_212100051 (resized).jpg

...and Elvira herself!!!

IMG_20191018_170729951 (resized).jpgIMG_20191018_170729951 (resized).jpg

Also, if you looked in the program guide...

IMG_20191019_101139364 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_101139364 (resized).jpg

...at 11am on Saturday...

IMG_20191019_100700777 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_100700777 (resized).jpg

...there was a guy delivering a seminar...

IMG_20191019_100639389_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_100639389_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg

...about Coin-Op Carnival:

ryan (resized).jpgryan (resized).jpg

Thanks to Martin Ayub of Pinball News, it was liveStreamed, archived, and is already available to view:

Martin was a total champ, doing a tremendous job of documenting Pinball Expo and camping out in the seminar room the entire three days. So if you're interested in seeing what else took place this past weekend in Chicago, you can take a look here:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2019/10/17/pinball-expo-2019-2/

So, that not only wraps-up this past weekend's experiences, but also the ENTIRE 2019 COIN-OP CARNIVAL RELEASE TOUR(!??!). It's been a massive year for Nick and I. We both want to thank you and the pinball community for all your support over these past few months since the release of our new publication. During that time, we visited 10 states around the U.S. letting folks know about our new publication, we sold out of our initial print-run of 1,100 copies, printed another 1,000 copies, started work on issue #2, and met countless new readers and supportive hobbyiests.

Now that the tour is over, we'll have even more time to devote to bringing the next issue of Coin-Op Carnival to fruition and because of your aforementioned support, we're already positioned to hit the presses upon completion of the content...and we're proud to say that we will NEVER ask you for pre-order money during the entire 4-issue run of this series. If you missed us on tour, online previews and ordering are still available through our dedicated website:

http://coinopcarnival.com/

We've said it before and we'll say it again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for such humbling experiences, starting with our book release at TPF in 2019 and all throughout these 7 months of touring. We're already hard at work on issue number 2 and cannot wait to share it with you in 2021...or so.

Keep flippin',
    Ryan and Nick
    IMG_20191019_091813355 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_091813355 (resized).jpg

#337 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

It was nice meeting and chatting with you Ryan. Glad the expo was a success for you and can’t wait for the next issue to come out.

Same to you, Jody! Real glad we could meet in person! I've seen your avatar on Pinside for quite a while so it was nice to put a face with your avatar.

Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hey Ryan,
    Congrats again on this first book and the wrap up of the tour. How about one more stop here on the 2nd? Or at least bring some of that swag with you to sell, hey you never know right? Just so everyone here knows I have FOUR of this fine publication that are autographed by Ryan that will be given away to the first and second place teams in the Zen tournament at this years party in less then two weeks. Come meet the man, the legend, the.......NO not ME!! Ryan Claytor and his very supporting wife Candace. How about it Ryan??
    John

John, you can bet I'll be in attendance at your big bash. There's no way you'll keep me outta your house that night. Ha-ha! ...but there's also no way you'll convince me to bring merch that night. *LOL* I've promised my...

Quoted from Dayhuff:

...very supporting wife Candace...

...that Pinball Expo was the last of my promotional appearances for 2019. So the only way someone will get a copy of Coin-Op Carnival at your party on Nov 2nd is to come in first or second in the zen tournament.

...although, I guess they could also order them online as well. Ha-ha! But I won't have anything to sell that night.

CLAYTORIAN DATE NIGHT AT DAYHUFF'S!!!

4 weeks later
    #342 4 years ago

Hi All,

Nick and I just wanted to take a moment to chime in here. There are some quiet things going on behind the scenes, namely, getting to work in earnest on issue #2.

Outside of being hermits, we've also had some awfully nice mentions of late. The Slap Save Pinball podcast had some kind words to say about Coin-Op Carnival an episode or three ago. Thanks, Jason! Then, we're in the running for a Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo Prize for Best Graphic Novel:

http://www.backporchcomics.com/space_prize_p2.htm

...so we'll see what comes of that. *fingers crossed*

We also wanted to say thanks for the orders continuing to roll in. Our 2019 tour may be over but we still have copiesif you're interested in a stocking stuffer for that coin-op interested person on your list.

Alright, all, in case we disappear for another month or few, don't be alarmed. We're doing the same thing we were doing for 2+ years leading up to the release of issue #1...with the added enjoyment of fulfilling orders. Ha-ha! In the meantime, thanks for your patience regarding our lengthy release period between issues. We really appreciate all your support!

Happy Holidays, Pinside!

happyHolidays (resized).jpghappyHolidays (resized).jpg

Two workin' dads,

Ryan and Nick

#344 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Looking forward to whatever you guys come up with for issue#2;

Thanks, Tom! We're excited about it, too!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

...and also eager to see what Gordon Hasse book will be like, (with your help).
    Gordon has been working on this book for years, ever since Dick Bueschel passed.

Right! Every time I chat with him about this book, I get excited. It sounds like it's practically finished, but the layout and publishing arm of the project is giving him pause. I told him that's the easy part and something I would love to help with in order get his book in print! Gordon's is some of my all-time favorite writing in pinball and I'd do just about anything to see more of it.

1 week later
    #345 4 years ago

Hi All,

This post is to request a small piece of your time. The TWIPY (This Week in Pinball) Awards are edging ever closer and they're currently holding "pre-voting" for the 2019 awards. We'd love your help in securing a nomination for our publication. When you have a moment, please go here:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/quiz/twipy-2019-pre-voting/

...and vote for:

"Coin-Op Carnival"

...in the category of:

"Favorite Pinball Publication/Writer/Article"

...like this:

Publication (resized).jpgPublication (resized).jpg

...if you feel so inclined.

Thanks a bunch for all your support of our new publication venture. This nomination would mean a lot to us.

Happy Holidays,
    Ryan and Nick

P.S. Did we mention that Coin-Op Carnival reader, Brian Humm, wrote to us with this immaculately constructed (and photographed) Space Pilot papercraft from Coin-Op Carnival #1?

spacePilotPapercraft (resized).jpgspacePilotPapercraft (resized).jpg

To our knowledge, he's the first to complete it! (I've not even completed it yet. -Ryan). Tremendous work, Brian!

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Voted! Good luck Ryan and Nick!

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Done - good luck!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I voted for you all on Twippys

Thanks a bunch, guys! Much appreciated!

Quoted from Dayhuff:

That 3D cut out looks really cool and I'm honored to have a part in this book. I think more people would put there's together but they don't want to cut there book apart and buying two books just for that purpose is a bit pricey. What if you did a second page of the same image that was maybe perforated and removable from the book so as to not change the integrity of the book and yet people could still get the 3D model out of it? I wouldn't perf the entire thing as that would get very expensive but perhaps just on the spine edge of the page so it was easy to remove from the book? Or perhaps a fold out page much like a Playboy centerfold? Not that I'd know anything about that.
    John

Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, please! I didn't wanna cut my book apart, frankly!

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Or, instead of any perfs etc, or risk at tearing, maybe a second copy of just that page. Included as a loose page with book (even for an additional fee).
    I'm too much collector in me. Lol, even if it had a second one meant to be torn out, I probably wouldn't because I'd always know mine still had it. Kinda like when you still have all the promi stuff that came with your record back in the day

Yeah, believe it or not, I've had a number of these things quoted. I feel like the best option would be to include something as a loose sheet, but it was also kinda pricey. Honestly, I couldn't imagine selling enough to make it worth printing. With all this said, Brian Humm admitted to making a color copy of that page, and really, we're just fine with that.

4 weeks later
    #361 4 years ago

Hi All,

Remember the TWIPy Award for which we asked your help to get Coin-Op Carnival nominated for best publication? Well guess what...WE'RE NOMINATED!!!

*Thank you dance!!*

Now we could really use your help with another vote for the final award. Scroll down to find "Favorite Pinball Publication, Writer, or Article" and do what you feel is right:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-voting-now-open/

untitled (resized).jpguntitled (resized).jpg

...fellow nominee, Dennis Kriesel, is even suggesting a vote for Coin-Op Carnival:

dennis (resized).jpgdennis (resized).jpg

Regardless of how your vote falls, we wish you a happy new year and thanks a bunch for all your support!

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Done and BUMP!

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Done - good luck!

Many thanks, guys!

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Voted! Good luck guys, you got this!! BTW, when’s the next installment coming out?

Thanks, JayDee! We're shooting for 2021. Already workin' hard!

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Can’t wait, and sorry if my question offended you for the downvote

Boy, that sure was the wrong button I pushed! Ha-ha! ...I mean...MY SENSITIVE ARTIST FEELINGS!!! There was not enough luck wished upon me!!! *uncontrollable sobbing*

Also...fixed the directional thumb.

Quoted from wallybgood:

Done. Great Publication.
    Wally

WALLY!!! Thank you a bunch!

4 months later
    #375 3 years ago

Hi Coin-Op Carnival Thread!

It's been a while, so I thought some updates might be in order. Here's how they're gonna go:

1. TWIPy
    2. SPACE Prize
    3. 'Ringo Award
    4. Original Art
    5. Coin-Op Carnival #2

- --- ----- --- -
    - --- ----- --- -

1. TWIPy Award: I just realized that we never updated this thread after asking for your help with the TWIPy vote. While we didn't win the TWIPy for best pinball publication of 2019, after hearing Jonathan Joosten's acceptance speech it sort of felt like we did:

Ha-ha! Thanks for your kind words about our work Jonathan. We're longtime readers of yours, too:

RyanPM (resized).jpgRyanPM (resized).jpg

- --- ----- --- -

2. SPACE Prize:

spheader2 (resized).jpgspheader2 (resized).jpg

Just this past week, Coin-Op Carnival #1 received top prize, 1st place in the Graphic Novel category, in the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) annual awards. The annual S.P.A.C.E. Prize is voted on by both peers and a selected panel of judges. S.P.A.C.E. is the largest small press comics convention in the Midwest and one of the largest in the country.

space2019Prize (resized).jpgspace2019Prize (resized).jpg

Needless to say, we're pretty excited about that!

- --- ----- --- -

3. 'Ringo Award:

ringo (resized).jpgringo (resized).jpg

The ‘Ringo Comics awards are currently accepting nominations and we’d be honored if you see fit to nominate:

“Coin-Op Carnival” by Ryan Claytor and Nick Baldridge

…in the category of…

Best Non-fiction Comic Work

As you can see from the image above, I recently completed my ballot and it was quite easy. Here’s a link to get you there.

https://ringoawards.survey.fm/ringo-awards-2020-nominations

Thanks for your consideration!

- --- ----- --- -

4. Original Art:

For the past few weeks, I've been posting (on Facebook) a number of FOR SALE listings for some of the remaining original artwork from Coin-Op Carnival, like this...

IMG_20200414_110319806.jpgIMG_20200414_110319806.jpg

IMG_20200414_105735645.jpgIMG_20200414_105735645.jpg

IMG_20200414_105849781.jpgIMG_20200414_105849781.jpg

...each of these pieces are created using analog and digital pencil and india ink (archival ink) on bristol (thick, archival cardstock). Sizes are either 9"x12" or 11"x14" Here's a listing of the pieces I've managed to photograph and post thus far:

"Jimmy Johnson and the Free Play Unit" (shown above) - $150
    "Wayne Neyens - The World's Most Prolific Pinball Designer" - $̶2̶0̶0̶ >>>SOLD<<<
    "Sunday Morning Paper" - $75
    "The Path Ahead" - $75
    "Introduction - Pg 1 of 4" - $200
    "Cornell's Drugstore" - $75
    "I Can't Do It" - $75
    "Hotel Chesterfield" - $120
    "Wayne Leaves Western - Page 1" - $200
    "Authors with Mystic Marvel" - $100
    "Space Pilot" - $̶1̶0̶0̶ >>>SOLD<<<
    "Mystic Marvel Backglass" - $̶1̶0̶0̶ >>>SOLD<<<

If you're interested in a specific piece from the book, you can message me with a request. There are several pieces, both available and sold, that are not listed above. The list here is only the group of pieces I've posted pictures and descriptions of around Facebook. You can also join our Coin-Op Carnival Facebook Group to keep up with the original art listings and other Coin-Op Carnival updates:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival/

- --- ----- --- -

5. Coin-Op Carnival #2:

We're certainly not ready to announce a release date for Coin-Op Carnival #2, but I can tell you we've been chipping away at the next issue. We've been writing, I've been drawing, and illustrations are being flatted (getting prepared for digital colors) by a research assistant of mine from the university where I teach. So, as we promised, the next issue is forthcoming...at a pace that is not fast enough for anyone. Ha-ha! But, one day, it will see the light of day. If we're able to stick to our estimated time-frame, it would be released sometime in 2021. But as we've said from day one, that is our hope, not a hard and fast promise.

Here's hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Signed sincerely, two working dads,
    Ryan and Nick

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

All awards are much deserved.
    Can not wait for #2 to be released.
    No excuses for it not getting out by 2021.
    THERE, the pressure is on!
    I did my part, except to buy it when it comes out.

Thanks for your kind words, Tom! ...and I promise you, we're eating our elephant over here. One bite at a time, but it's gettin' done!

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Ryan and Nick are two total class acts ! Great guys. As evidenced by his commentary about Johnathan Joosten / Pinball Magazine. Coin Op Carnival is an amazing publication - just the art alone is something to marvel at - I couldn't believe Ryan created some of the pictures in the book and they weren't originals or fully computer drawn... And I'm not like that into art stuff. The articles also were great - incredible interviews - some tech stuff but not written above anyone's heads, etc... Just a really great thing and for $ 15 or whatever it is a steal... I had mine for a while finally took it on vacation to read it last year and kicked myself for waiting so long to find the time to dig into it. Do yourself a favor, get one, not just because these guys are really good people in the hobby, but because you'll really enjoy it ! Any and all awards are deserved, but as you can tell these guys do it for the love of the hobby and man, you have to admire that ! THANK YOU both for what you do for the rest of us !
    Joe

Wow. Joe. Thank you. Sincerely. I called my wife over to give this a read. That really means a lot. I...don't know what to say...but thank you.

Also, best of luck with your new church of pinball!!!

#380 3 years ago

By the way, we hit 500 members on our Facebook Group yesterday...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival/

...and to celebrate we're running a contest for a free copy of Coin-Op Carnival #1. You can have it sent to you or someone else as a gift! All this to say, if you're over on the FaceSpace, feel free to swing on by and join the group.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Congratulations on the SPACE prize. Ya'll are okay.

Thank you, Dennis!

Quoted from DennisK:

Ya'll are okay.

Whoa whoa whoa, pump the breaks there, turbo. You're gonna ruin your street cred with that type of lavish praise. Best of luck overthrowning piiIIINBAWL MARKET TREEeeendz.

...gawd, I can hear the canned music in my head now.

1 month later
    #383 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Coin-Op Carnival #1 received top prize, 1st place in the Graphic Novel category, in the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) annual awards.

Just a brief follow-up; the plaque arrived today.

FB_IMG_1595130775560.jpgFB_IMG_1595130775560.jpg

Big thanks to all the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) exhibitors, S.P.A.C.E. Prize committee members, and S.P.A.C.E. Director Bob Corby, for this great honor. This recognition means a lot to us.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#385 3 years ago

You've got an oldie but goodie bookmark there, RCA1 ! Not too many of those around anymore. Here's hoping it's keeping your place well.

1 week later
    #386 3 years ago

Today is the 102nd birthday of Wayne Neyens, the most prolific pinball designer of all time!

Wayne (resized).jpgWayne (resized).jpg

We had the great pleasure of not only featuring Wayne in our inaugural issue of Coin-Op Carnival, but also befriending him. It's a friendship we'll never forget. We'll be calling Wayne later today to send him our well wishes. In the meantime, if anyone has some thoughts they'd like us to pass along to Wayne, please post here.

#389 3 years ago

Called Wayne yesterday. We chat and he was in good spirits, especially after I mentioned all the kind words from folks here and on Facebook (we have a Coin-Op Carnival Group, if you've not heard). He spoke with my 7-year-old son who asked if he was a "magic man" because he's living so long. Ha-ha! When wrapping the conversation I told him how happy Nick and I are to have highlighted him and his work in our inaugural issue, and form a relationship with him because of it. He told me that being a part of our publication was one of the highlights of his life. Then I hung up, wept like a baby, and waited until the following day to post back here. Anyhow, all this to say, thank you all for making Wayne's monumental birthday even more special.

1 week later
    #390 3 years ago

Hi All,

This is a little off-topic, so I created it's own thread, but I have a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT today!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ryan-claytor-designs-watch-for-london-based-mr-jones-watches#post-5783054

Thanks for all your support, everyone!

Sincerely,
    Ryan

2 weeks later
    #392 3 years ago

SHORT STORY:
    Please sign up for my quarterly comics email list here:
    http://elephanteater.com/contact

LONG STORY:
    During a typical summer convention season, I’ll not only exhibit my work but also collect email addresses to stay in touch with folks who are interested in my art. However, with conventions in 2020 either delayed, canceled, or moved online, gathering new emails for my updates has been slow at best. As I’ve discussed this with people close to me, I’ve also become acutely aware that while I make my best low-pressure attempt to collect email addresses during conventions, I’ve been woefully negligent about asking friends and family if they’d be interested in joining this list.

With all that said, what exactly would you be signing up for, should you decide to join this list? Essentially, I’ll email you about 4x/year (sometimes it’s even less, but on a good year it’s just about four). These updates mention new book releases, public appearances, unreleased behind-the-scenes info, and key events surrounding my artwork. If you decide to join, I promise not to release your information and you’re able to opt out at anytime. Are you interested in seeing an example email? No problem. Click here to see the Summer 2020 update I sent a couple weeks ago:

https://madmimi.com/s/8690d01

In case it wasn’t clear, I’d like to make a push to get more email sign-ups, and I’m trying to make it as easy as possible with this hand-dandy form:

http://elephanteater.com/contact

Once you sign up, you’ll receive a confirmation email with an activation link to finalize the process. Occasionally this email will be diverted to your spam/junk folder. Just make sure to:

1. Click the activation link.

~and~

2. Whitelist that email address so future emails are directed to your inbox.

Finally, if you find it in your heart to share this information, I’d really appreciate that, too.

That’s all I’ve got for ya this week. Thanks for your consideration!

#395 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I just signed up

Thanks a bunch for the sign-ups! This helps more than you realized.

In other news...

RingoNom (resized).pngRingoNom (resized).png

...COIN-OP CARNIVAL IS NOMINATED FOR THE COMICS INDUSTRY 2020 'RINGO AWARD!!!

If you're a comics industry professional, you can vote over at:

https://ringoawards.com/

...where Coin-Op Carnival is listed in the "Best Non-fiction Comic Work" category.

Thanks, everyone for your help with the nomination earlier this year. This really means a lot to Nick and I. Now, if you know of any comics industry professionals...

Finally,

Quoted from ReadyPO:

any word on whether enough folks have signed up on the waiting list for another run of the watch?

No word yet, but we're in conversation.

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

signed up, congrats on the nomination. Good Luck.

Thanks a bunch, Shane!

In more news, I made a shareable graphic:

elephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpgelephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpg

Clickable---> http://elephanteater.com/contact

2 months later
    #398 3 years ago

Happy Halloween, Everyone. Coin-Op Carnival got reviewed on Comic Book News last week. Here's the clip:

Thanks, Dan Shahin and Larry Young for the kind words!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanclaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-op-carnival-a-new-em-focused-publication?tu=ryanclaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.