Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bingopodcast
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpg
    RingoNom (resized).png
    Wayne (resized).jpg
    20200719_195152 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1595130775560.jpg
    IMG_20200414_110319806.jpg
    IMG_20200414_105849781.jpg
    IMG_20200414_105735645.jpg
    space2019Prize (resized).jpg
    spheader2 (resized).jpg
    RyanPM (resized).jpg
    ringo (resized).jpg
    yus.gif
    dennis (resized).jpg
    untitled (resized).jpg
    spacePilotPapercraft (resized).jpg
    There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

As some of you may know, my name is Ryan Claytor. I'm a professor at Michigan State University, comics artist, and pinball enthusiast. I'm proud to announce that my good buddy, Nick Baldridge (For Amusement Only Podcast Host and Multi-Bingo Creator), and I have teamed-up on a new publication project titled,

Coin-Op Carnival: Electrifying Tales of Mechanical Contraptions

coverCropped1000tall (resized).jpgcoverCropped1000tall (resized).jpg

Coin-Op Carnival, a new 64-page print publication, is the only source for illustrated content about electro-mechanical coin-operated devices. Each issue includes an interview with a game designer, in-depth game reviews, technical information, product reviews, comics, and more. The entire publication features new full-color illustrations on each page from me and the articles are co-written by Nick and me.

Nick and I conceived of this project over two years ago. Since that time we’ve been dedicating a tremendous amount of time and research to this important historical document that we hope will be interesting and accessible to both pinball aficionados and newcomers to this rich and fascinating industry. Here's and advanced look at some of our articles:

01Wayne (resized).jpg01Wayne (resized).jpg02Mystic (resized).jpg02Mystic (resized).jpg03Space (resized).jpg03Space (resized).jpg04Tech (resized).jpg04Tech (resized).jpg05Tech (resized).jpg05Tech (resized).jpg

Coin-Op Carnival #1 will debut at the 2019 Texas Pinball Festival where Nick and I will conduct a seminar about our new publishing venture. Here are the details:

Coin-Op Carnival Grand Release Seminar
    2019 Texas Pinball Festival
    Friday, March 22nd, at 8pm

We will be joined by in the seminar by noted Pinball Historian, Gordon Hasse, who will contextualize our upcoming publication release within the broader framework of pinball publications that have preceded our own. Needless to say, we would love to see you in the audience of our Friday night seminar.

For the release of the first issue, Nick and I are also embarking on a 10 state, 16 stop, book signing tour to promote Coin-Op Carnival's release. As I mentioned, the first stop is the Texas Pinball Festival in Frisco, Texas, with fifteen stops across America to follow.

CCtourSchedule (resized).jpgCCtourSchedule (resized).jpg

Copies of issue #1 will be available for purchase online starting March 22nd, 2019. Cover price of issue #1 is $15. Additional volumes will follow roughly every other year.

To learn more about Coin-Op Carnival, visit www.coinopcarnival.com.

Thanks for your interest and if you have any questions, we're happy to answer them here.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Coin-Op Carnival - Artist, Co-Writer and Co-Founder
    Web: www.CoinOpCarnival.com
    Email: ryan~at~coinopcarnival~dot~com
    Twitter: @CoinOpCarnival
    Facebook: facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival

#2 5 years ago

Ryan and I are very pleased to have the books in hand, ready for the first day of TPF. I'll echo Ryan's sentiments - we hope to see you there!

#3 5 years ago

Congratulations to you both, Ryan and Nick, on the completion and publication of your Magnum Opus!

I know that a lot of hard work went into this. I’m really impressed with the E.M. Tech Explained article, beautifully illustrated. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please allow me the honor of being the first Pinsider to let you know that I will be buying a copy - such a bargain at only $15.00!

#4 5 years ago

Count me in for a copy at TPF. I've just recently been bitten by the EM bug so the timing is perfect.

#5 5 years ago

As a Mystic Marvel owner I will be buying a copy for sure

#6 5 years ago

I will be ordering a copy.

#7 5 years ago

Congrats on this new publication! See you at TPF!

#8 5 years ago

Looks fantastic and I'll be buying one at TPF. If you're ever looking for guest writers, I'd be interested as well (EM pinhead and former journalist)!

Mark

#9 5 years ago

Can’t wait to get my hands on one of these! You should see if you could get them at replayfx also. Thanks again for all your time and effort you both put into the hobby.

#10 5 years ago

Bravo !! Looks great Ryan. I won’t be at TPF but I hope to have a buddy pickup a copy for me.

#11 5 years ago

I will have to visit the website to get all the details for ordering, hope you take paypal. I assume there will be some nominal charge for shipping, but it will still be a barigin at whatever the price.

#12 5 years ago

Hi Ryan,

I'll take 2. Had a change in plans and can't make Texas.

Contact me. [email protected]

#13 5 years ago

Amazing! It looks insightful and more machine focused than the other publications out there.
    I bookmarked your site!
    Thank you!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I will have to visit the website to get all the details for ordering, hope you take paypal. I assume there will be some nominal charge for shipping, but it will still be a barigin at whatever the price.

Yes, shipping is extra - and yes - we will take paypal or credit cards! In person, we can accept Google and Apple Pay as well as cash.

#15 5 years ago

I just hit the embedded weblink to your site and attempted to "purchase today" , by hitting the shop now button ; but it appears that it is not yet set up to purchase, at least from my android tablet. Hopefully soon. Cheers and good luck.

#16 5 years ago

If you have met Ryan you will realize that this is of very good quality. He is an exceptional person and I don't throw comments like that around.

#17 5 years ago

I'm in!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I just hit the embedded weblink to your site and attempted to "purchase today" , by hitting the shop now button ; but it appears that it is not yet set up to purchase, at least from my android tablet. Hopefully soon. Cheers and good luck.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Copies of issue #1 will be available for purchase online starting March 22nd, 2019.

#19 5 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this (and both of you!) at TPF. Congrats on the milestone. The previews look fantastic!

- Gerry

#20 5 years ago

Thanks AlexF, guess I glanced over that part. Was just hoping to pre-order, knowing that it might not be mailed out until after debut at TPF. Ryan &Nick will just have to post reminders for me. Cheers Tom

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Was just hoping to pre-order, knowing that it might not be mailed out until after debut at TPF. Ryan &Nick will just have to post reminders for me.

Sorry about that - as I'll be handling shipping duties, I didn't want to push up the store until I was able to mail out immediately.

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from us in this thread as various things change, including when the store opens on the 22nd!

Ryan and I truly appreciate everyone's interest and support! Looking forward to the seminar on March 22nd at 8PM and seeing everyone at the booth that can make it to TPF.

#22 5 years ago

RyanClaytor and bingopodcast - I now how much work this has been for the both of you and I'm gonna try and spread the word about this fine publication.

I had a chance to preview an early copy of the first issue and even though I'm not really well versed into EM games (*) I found this a really interesting read and so beautifully illustrated. I can only highly recommend everyone: get a copy!

(*) for no particular reason other than little exposure to those games here in Holland. I love playing them at US events.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

Looking forward to seeing this (and both of you!) at TPF. Congrats on the milestone. The previews look fantastic!

Yes Indeed!

#24 5 years ago

Hey Robin, I know it may not be possible as it might be unfair to other retailers, but maybe sticky this post in the EM Hangout until end of March. I am sure Ryan & Nick will be lucky to break even on this passion venture, its not like they will be raking in the dough. Definitely looking forward to when it is available to order.

#25 5 years ago

Can't wait!!

Watching calander till day I can order

#26 5 years ago

Looks awesome, definitely will be ordering on the 22nd

#27 5 years ago

I want one! Will pick up at TPF.

#28 5 years ago

Congratulations!

#30 5 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful magazine, can you do one for early SS games as well please.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow! What a beautiful magazine, can you do one for early SS games as well please.

Thank you! Our focus is on EMs for the 4 issues we have planned.

#32 5 years ago

First and foremost, thank you so much for everyone's words of support. It means the world to us.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Ryan and I are very pleased to have the books in hand, ready for the first day of TPF.

Nick, thanks for chiming in here (on a number of occasions) more quickly than I was able. You're an incredible friend and project partner, my man.

You reminded me of something, too. These books were delivered to me less than a week ago now. Last Wednesday, as a matter of fact, the carrier truck arrived at my home:

IMG_20190227_130448613_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_130448613_HDR (resized).jpg

...the books were unloaded:

IMG_20190227_130718350 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_130718350 (resized).jpg

...the palette was dropped in my garage:

IMG_20190227_131019331 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_131019331 (resized).jpg

...and promptly unloaded into my mudroom:

IMG_20190227_131623148 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_131623148 (resized).jpg

...then eventually they migrated to my temperature controlled basement storage. But not before taking a good long look through the books themselves:

IMG_20190227_132718570 (resized).jpgIMG_20190227_132718570 (resized).jpg

The following day, Thursday of last week, I took our bouncing baby books to a professional photography session for their glamour shots:

IMG_20190228_095446052 (resized).jpgIMG_20190228_095446052 (resized).jpg

...which lead to the picture that started this thread:

coverCropped1000tall (resized).jpgcoverCropped1000tall (resized).jpg

This is sort of a long winded way of saying that Nick and I are both keenly aware of the current pinball release climate, both in terms of pinball books and pinball machines, and we were both adamant about not asking for pre-orders, kickstarting funds, or any hint of money-before-product. So when we see comments like this:

Quoted from pinwiztom:

It's just our way of saying that both Nick and I are awfully determined to make this a "buy-it-and-get-it" experience, regardless of whether the purchase is made in person or on our website, and we'd like it to all line-up upon release.

The books are here. They are real. This is not vaporware. ...and we are ITCHING to share this with everyone. It's been really difficult to sit on this product idea for over two years and not be able to share it. But again, we'd much rather have it ready to go upon announcement than to announce and then need to push back a publicly announced deadline. We're cognizant of that trend, too.

Alright, enough serious stuff. COMMENTS!!!

Quoted from Pecos:

Congratulations to you both, Ryan and Nick, on the completion and publication of your Magnum Opus!
    I know that a lot of hard work went into this. I’m really impressed with the E.M. Tech Explained article, beautifully illustrated. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please allow me the honor of being the first Pinsider to let you know that I will be buying a copy - such a bargain at only $15.00!

Pecos, in my eyes, you've been such a backbone of Pinside. From your project pinball thread to your astute and personal comments which assisted me through my first E.M. restoration (can you believe that wet-behind-the-ears experience has turned into this?), it's always such a joy to see you pop up in a thread I'm following. Now, especially, this one. Thanks for all your support.

Quoted from GSones:

Count me in for a copy at TPF. I've just recently been bitten by the EM bug so the timing is perfect.

A man of fine taste, that is clear.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

As a Mystic Marvel owner I will be buying a copy for sure

Nick and I got to know this game pretty darn well over the course of preparing that particular article. You're a lucky owner, Shapeshifter!

Quoted from Cdemuro:

I will be ordering a copy.

Thanks, Cdemuro! We'll be doing a pretty unique tour stop in Houston this August at the Burke Baker Planetarium. Looks like it's in your neck of the woods. Perhaps we'll get a chance to meet in person.

Quoted from Cdemuro:

I hope you can sell some to the DMD snobs also. Lol. Everyone needs to appreciate EM.

So, I know this comment was meant as flippant and fun, but I have nothing against DMD's. Nick and I both have era-spanning collections. Mine has examples from 1940 flipperless games to Stern's 2007 Spider-man, and Nick's collection event includes another decade in either direction on that spectrum. All that to say, we want this to be a positive place, one free of judgement and in-fighting. So let's leave words like "snobs" at the door.

With all that said, our hope for this publication is essentially what your post described. We made a near impossible goal with this project; to appeal to multiple audiences, both those familiar with electro-mechanical era pinball and those who aren't. The latter category could be relative newcomers to the hobby who are interested in more modern games, or even folks who aren't familiar with pinball at all. When the book is released we'll see whether or not we were able to accomplish this tall task, but I have a hunch this will be a widely accessible publication with a little something for everyone.

Thanks for chiming in, Cdemuro, and for listening to some alternate thoughts here.

Quoted from unigroove:

Congrats on this new publication! See you at TPF!

Jonathan! You've certainly set a high water mark for pinball publications. The Pinball Magazine tomes occupy a place of pride on my bookshelf:

pinballMag (resized).jpgpinballMag (resized).jpg

...so it's nice to have you chime in here. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about our first issue.

Quoted from goldenboy232:

Looks fantastic and I'll be buying one at TPF.

Thanks a bunch. We really appreciate the support!

Quoted from goldenboy232:

If you're ever looking for guest writers, I'd be interested as well (EM pinhead and former journalist)!
    Mark

Thank you for the offer, Mark. While we'd love to reach out to you, and also a number of pinball historians we really respect, Nick and I have outlined this 4-issue series pretty tightly. And if I have a hope of staying on this proposed, approximately every-other-year release schedule, we need to stick to this plan. So, sincerely, thank you for your offer and for your interest in our publication. Please swing by our booth or seminar at TPF this month. It'd be great to put a face with your Pinside handle.

Quoted from Pinballflare:

Can’t wait to get my hands on one of these! You should see if you could get them at replayfx also. Thanks again for all your time and effort you both put into the hobby.

Hi Pinballflare, thanks for your enthusiasm and kind words! We really appreciate it. Neither Nick nor I will be at ReplayFX/Pinburgh this year. We know it's a great show, but it just didn't fit into the schedule of our lives this year. However, we're doing our best to give the community ample opportunities to connect, whether that's online or in person. Sorry. Maybe in a future year(?). *fingers crossed*

Quoted from Ballypin:

Bravo !! Looks great Ryan. I won’t be at TPF but I hope to have a buddy pickup a copy for me.

We'll be there!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Hi Tom,

Good to see you around here, and thanks for your support. We will be charging shipping, which will be based on where you are in relation to us. So, it's hard to give you a definitive answer, but the shipping calculator will work it's magic upon check-out (once that goes live on March 22nd, 2019).

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Hi Ryan,
    I'll take 2. Had a change in plans and can't make Texas.
    Contact me. [email protected]

Hi Chris!

By this point in the thread, you know when you can order them. Ha-ha! Also, I just shot you a line at that email address you listed. Looking forward to chatting.

Also...

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

If you have met Ryan you will realize that this is of very good quality. He is an exceptional person and I don't throw comments like that around.

...thanks a bunch for your flattering words. Truly.

Quoted from Kipsie:

Amazing! It looks insightful and more machine focused than the other publications out there.
    I bookmarked your site!
    Thank you!

Thank you, Kipsie! We appreciate you saving our site and checking back in a couple weeks or so!

Woo! Thanks, 1stpinballdave.

Quoted from AlexF:

Quote Linkage

Psst...thanks for the explanation, Alex.

Quoted from gstellenberg:

- Gerry

Gerry, that means a lot coming from you. Nick and I have both been long-time admirers of the P3 platform and games. I'm also happy to say that I'm completely jealous and happy for my homey @bingopodcast , who recently purchased and received his own P3(!!?!??!). SOOO COOL!!! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us at TPF this year and what sort of changes you've made to CCR since last TPF.

Quoted from robin:

ryanclaytor and bingopodcast - I now how much work this has been for the both of you and I'm gonna try and spread the word about this fine publication.
    I had a chance to preview an early copy of the first issue and even though I'm not really well versed into EM games (*) I found this a really interesting read and so beautifully illustrated. I can only highly recommend everyone: get a copy!
    (*) for no particular reason other than little exposure to those games here in Holland. I love playing them at US events.

PINSIDE ROBIN!!!

What you've created with this pinball enthusiast portal is SO inspiring and nothing short of a labor of love. I've met a number of great friends across the country and around the world I'd have never connected with if it wasn't for you building this site. So, thank you, both for your efforts with pinside, and for your thoughts about reading through an early copy of this book. All I can say is, it's even more polished than when you saw it. Can't wait for you to see it at TPF. Safe travels!!!

Finally we get to meet in person. Thanks for your help in pinball over the years, Ken!

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Can't wait!!
    Watching calander till day I can order

Ha! Thanks, pacmanretro. We really do appreciate you prepping for our release date. Means a lot!

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Looks awesome, definitely will be ordering on the 22nd

Yaaas!!!

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I want one! Will pick up at TPF.

YASSS.gifYASSS.gif

Thank you!

Thanks, again, all! You're all making this release an incredibly gratifying experience. Thank you.

#33 5 years ago

Can't wait to see it!

#34 5 years ago

Count me in for this project. Nick and Ryan make for an impressive and passionate combination. Looking forward to getting this.

#35 5 years ago

I'm a solid state / DMD collector for the most part, but this looks like a fun read. I'll look forward to when the buy page goes live

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Can't wait to see it!

Thanks for your support, Cait!

Quoted from jeffc:

Count me in for this project. Nick and Ryan make for an impressive and passionate combination. Looking forward to getting this.

You're too kind, JeffC. Looking forward to your thoughts about the publication upon its release!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm a solid state / DMD collector for the most part, but this looks like a fun read. I'll look forward to when the buy page goes live

Thanks, ForceFlow! That's precisely the kind of open-minded interest we're hoping to foster with this publication. Hope you enjoy the first issue!

#37 5 years ago

heard the interview and really looking forward to getting this to learn about EM's and a fan of your art, got a heap of your shirts already

make sure to make some available for the overseas supporters

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

heard the interview and really looking forward to getting this to learn about EM's and a fan of your art, got a heap of your shirts already
    make sure to make some available for the overseas supporters

Hey Jady! Thanks for all your support over the years. It's great to see you pop in here.

You can rest assured we will be shipping overseas. You'll be able to order the same day as everyone else when we show-up at TPF and simultaneously open our webshop on March 22nd, 2019. ...although, as an Aussie, I think you might be about a day ahead of us? Might have to adjust those release hours a little. Regardless, we'll get it to ya!

#39 5 years ago

Very cool! I'll be on the look out!
    Thanks
    Blake

#40 5 years ago

Looks great Ryan!

This Spartan will be ordering one later in March (hopefully after a long run by MSU in the NCAA tourney).

Greg

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from heatwave:

This Spartan will be ordering one later in March (hopefully after a long run by MSU in the NCAA tourney).

Nah!
    This is the year of the UCIrvine Anteaters, (currently 25-5)
    Go ZOT!!!
    Or maybe the South Dakota State JackRabbits (24-7)

Sorry
    Did not mean to hijack this thread
    Can't wait until March 22
    so I can order.

#42 5 years ago

All I ask is that Ryan block me from any potential auction(s) of the original art from this series. My wallet and walls thank you in advance.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Very cool! I'll be on the look out!
    Thanks
    Blake

Thank YOU, Blake!

Quoted from heatwave:

Looks great Ryan!
    Greg

Really appreciate it, Spartan Greg! Although I must admit, I don't much keep up with the spectation of the sport-ball. Good luck to us, though! Ha-ha! (Are we doing well? ...I honestly have no idea.)

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Nah!
    This is the year of the UCIrvine Anteaters, (currently 25-5)
    Go ZOT!!!
    Or maybe the South Dakota State JackRabbits (24-7)
    Sorry
    Did not mean to hijack this thread
    Can't wait until March 22
    so I can order.

March 22nd! That's my March Madness.

Quoted from yancy:

All I ask is that Ryan block me from any potential auction(s) of the original art from this series. My wallet and walls thank you in advance.

Oh...oh, wait...uhm...well this is surprising, but...uh...what is this thing...that I just found right here (that will also be at the Texas Pinball Festival):

Love ya, Yancy!

#44 5 years ago

Will there be any vendors selling it at Arcade Expo in Banning next week?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Will there be any vendors selling it at Arcade Expo in Banning next week?

Hi Robert,

It will not be available at Arcade Expo, sorry. Arcade Expo happens before our release date of March 22nd, 2019. If you won't be at Texas, or any of the other tour stops, you're welcome to access our webshop ( http://coinopcarnival.com/store/ ) when it goes live on our release date.

Thanks for your interest!

#46 5 years ago

will be purchasing via the website on the 22nd!

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

will be purchasing via the website on the 22nd!

Thanks, Lint. ...hey, I recognize that avatar!

#48 5 years ago

I got a tee shirt when you did them for Nic, so put me on the list for one when they come available, looks like you won't be at Allentown Pinfest on May 3rd.

#49 5 years ago

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make Allentown. The tour schedule and my work schedule mean that I've got to make decisions about what time I can take off.

However, I do plan to be there, at this point. If I do make it, I will bring issues with me for sale.

#50 5 years ago

If you guys will be in Michigan on April 14th, I'd suggest trying to present at the Midwest Gaming Classic in Milwaukee on April 13th. Not too far of a drive from MI.

There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-op-carnival-a-new-em-focused-publication?hl=kipsie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.