Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bingopodcast
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpg
    RingoNom (resized).png
    Wayne (resized).jpg
    20200719_195152 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1595130775560.jpg
    IMG_20200414_110319806.jpg
    IMG_20200414_105849781.jpg
    IMG_20200414_105735645.jpg
    space2019Prize (resized).jpg
    spheader2 (resized).jpg
    RyanPM (resized).jpg
    ringo (resized).jpg
    yus.gif
    dennis (resized).jpg
    untitled (resized).jpg
    spacePilotPapercraft (resized).jpg
    There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 4 years ago

We absolutely allow photocopying the papercraft for the purpose of putting them together! I also wouldn't be able to cut one up... but one day when I stop building machines, I plan to build these models, and I'll copy (several copies) of those pages on beefy stock.

#352 4 years ago

I voted for you all on Twippys

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Voted! Good luck Ryan and Nick!

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Done - good luck!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Thanks a bunch, guys! Much appreciated!

Quoted from Dayhuff:

That 3D cut out looks really cool and I'm honored to have a part in this book. I think more people would put there's together but they don't want to cut there book apart and buying two books just for that purpose is a bit pricey. What if you did a second page of the same image that was maybe perforated and removable from the book so as to not change the integrity of the book and yet people could still get the 3D model out of it? I wouldn't perf the entire thing as that would get very expensive but perhaps just on the spine edge of the page so it was easy to remove from the book? Or perhaps a fold out page much like a Playboy centerfold? Not that I'd know anything about that.
    John

Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, please! I didn't wanna cut my book apart, frankly!

Quoted from pacmanretro:

Or, instead of any perfs etc, or risk at tearing, maybe a second copy of just that page. Included as a loose page with book (even for an additional fee).
    I'm too much collector in me. Lol, even if it had a second one meant to be torn out, I probably wouldn't because I'd always know mine still had it. Kinda like when you still have all the promi stuff that came with your record back in the day

Yeah, believe it or not, I've had a number of these things quoted. I feel like the best option would be to include something as a loose sheet, but it was also kinda pricey. Honestly, I couldn't imagine selling enough to make it worth printing. With all this said, Brian Humm admitted to making a color copy of that page, and really, we're just fine with that.

#354 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks a bunch, guys! Much appreciated!

Yeah, believe it or not, I've had a number of these things quoted. I feel like the best option would be to include something as a loose sheet, but it was also kinda pricey. Honestly, I couldn't imagine selling enough to make it worth printing. With all this said, Brian Humm admitted to making a color copy of that page, and really, we're just fine with that.

That's why I suggested a second page already attached in the book, sorta be like a double sheet to where it shouldn't really add much cost to the book (you could just eliminate a page to keep the sheet count the same) and forget about the perf/cost if you wanted too. A separate printed sheet from your printer would be pricey but running it through today's photo copiers would be cheaper. Only problem with that is then you have to hand insert it into each book and when your talking several thousand books that can get to be quite the job. Printing it in the book would mean it's already done for you. Anyways, just a suggestion.

John

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

even if it had a second one meant to be torn out, I probably wouldn't because I'd always know mine still had it.

Bingo. Collectors will never cut anything up even if there's a spare. Just gotta bite the bullet and cut that sucker. They're not gonna bury you with it!

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Bingo. Collectors will never cut anything up even if there's a spare. Just gotta bite the bullet and cut that sucker. They're not gonna bury you with it!

Was the "bingo" comment a punny?

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Exactly. It's not like the next guy that gets the book is gonna look at it like its any less value or anything and if so you'll be dead so who cares?

John

#358 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Was the "bingo" comment a punny?

Unintentional, I swear!

#359 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Unintentional, I swear!

Lol. Just playin.

1 week later
    #360 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Best publication? Coin-op Carnival.
    Best manufacturer? Coin-op Carnival.
    Best new mod? Coin-op Carnival.
    Game of the year? Coin-op Carnival.

2 weeks later
    #361 4 years ago

Hi All,

Remember the TWIPy Award for which we asked your help to get Coin-Op Carnival nominated for best publication? Well guess what...WE'RE NOMINATED!!!

*Thank you dance!!*

Now we could really use your help with another vote for the final award. Scroll down to find "Favorite Pinball Publication, Writer, or Article" and do what you feel is right:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-voting-now-open/

untitled (resized).jpguntitled (resized).jpg

...fellow nominee, Dennis Kriesel, is even suggesting a vote for Coin-Op Carnival:

dennis (resized).jpgdennis (resized).jpg

Regardless of how your vote falls, we wish you a happy new year and thanks a bunch for all your support!

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#362 4 years ago

Done and BUMP!

#363 4 years ago

Done - good luck!

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Done and BUMP!

Quoted from ReadyPO:

Done - good luck!

Many thanks, guys!

#365 4 years ago

voted so hard

#367 4 years ago

Voted! Good luck guys, you got this!! BTW, when’s the next installment coming out?

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Voted! Good luck guys, you got this!! BTW, when’s the next installment coming out?

Thanks, JayDee! We're shooting for 2021. Already workin' hard!

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks, JayDee! We're shooting for 2021. Already workin' hard!

Can’t wait, and sorry if my question offended you for the downvote

#370 4 years ago

Done. Great Publication.
    Wally

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Can’t wait, and sorry if my question offended you for the downvote

Boy, that sure was the wrong button I pushed! Ha-ha! ...I mean...MY SENSITIVE ARTIST FEELINGS!!! There was not enough luck wished upon me!!! *uncontrollable sobbing*

Also...fixed the directional thumb.

Quoted from wallybgood:

Done. Great Publication.
    Wally

WALLY!!! Thank you a bunch!

#372 4 years ago

No worries, man. I was just giving you the business a little. I actually thought it was funny

#373 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

MY SENSITIVE ARTIST FEELINGS!!! There was not enough luck wished upon me!!! *uncontrollable sobbing*

Working with you can be a joy, my man, haha!

We just buttoned up a thing today that we've been working on for a while. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks everyone for the votes! I am excited that so many are supporting us in this way.

And while awards are validating, I wanted to say THANK YOU for all your support thus far. My little world map would not have any dots without your support. Every order gives us more fuel to feed to the fire of our creativity. It has blown my mind a bit the amount and consistent nature of the kind words. Really, truly, appreciated.

1 week later
    #374 4 years ago

Bump the vote for two of the best EM guys going!

4 months later
    #375 3 years ago

Hi Coin-Op Carnival Thread!

It's been a while, so I thought some updates might be in order. Here's how they're gonna go:

1. TWIPy
    2. SPACE Prize
    3. 'Ringo Award
    4. Original Art
    5. Coin-Op Carnival #2

- --- ----- --- -
    - --- ----- --- -

1. TWIPy Award: I just realized that we never updated this thread after asking for your help with the TWIPy vote. While we didn't win the TWIPy for best pinball publication of 2019, after hearing Jonathan Joosten's acceptance speech it sort of felt like we did:

Ha-ha! Thanks for your kind words about our work Jonathan. We're longtime readers of yours, too:

RyanPM (resized).jpgRyanPM (resized).jpg

- --- ----- --- -

2. SPACE Prize:

spheader2 (resized).jpgspheader2 (resized).jpg

Just this past week, Coin-Op Carnival #1 received top prize, 1st place in the Graphic Novel category, in the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) annual awards. The annual S.P.A.C.E. Prize is voted on by both peers and a selected panel of judges. S.P.A.C.E. is the largest small press comics convention in the Midwest and one of the largest in the country.

space2019Prize (resized).jpgspace2019Prize (resized).jpg

Needless to say, we're pretty excited about that!

- --- ----- --- -

3. 'Ringo Award:

ringo (resized).jpgringo (resized).jpg

The ‘Ringo Comics awards are currently accepting nominations and we’d be honored if you see fit to nominate:

“Coin-Op Carnival” by Ryan Claytor and Nick Baldridge

…in the category of…

Best Non-fiction Comic Work

As you can see from the image above, I recently completed my ballot and it was quite easy. Here’s a link to get you there.

https://ringoawards.survey.fm/ringo-awards-2020-nominations

Thanks for your consideration!

- --- ----- --- -

4. Original Art:

For the past few weeks, I've been posting (on Facebook) a number of FOR SALE listings for some of the remaining original artwork from Coin-Op Carnival, like this...

IMG_20200414_110319806.jpgIMG_20200414_110319806.jpg

IMG_20200414_105735645.jpgIMG_20200414_105735645.jpg

IMG_20200414_105849781.jpgIMG_20200414_105849781.jpg

...each of these pieces are created using analog and digital pencil and india ink (archival ink) on bristol (thick, archival cardstock). Sizes are either 9"x12" or 11"x14" Here's a listing of the pieces I've managed to photograph and post thus far:

"Jimmy Johnson and the Free Play Unit" (shown above) - $150
    "Wayne Neyens - The World's Most Prolific Pinball Designer" - $̶2̶0̶0̶ >>>SOLD<<<
    "Sunday Morning Paper" - $75
    "The Path Ahead" - $75
    "Introduction - Pg 1 of 4" - $200
    "Cornell's Drugstore" - $75
    "I Can't Do It" - $75
    "Hotel Chesterfield" - $120
    "Wayne Leaves Western - Page 1" - $200
    "Authors with Mystic Marvel" - $100
    "Space Pilot" - $̶1̶0̶0̶ >>>SOLD<<<
    "Mystic Marvel Backglass" - $̶1̶0̶0̶ >>>SOLD<<<

If you're interested in a specific piece from the book, you can message me with a request. There are several pieces, both available and sold, that are not listed above. The list here is only the group of pieces I've posted pictures and descriptions of around Facebook. You can also join our Coin-Op Carnival Facebook Group to keep up with the original art listings and other Coin-Op Carnival updates:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival/

- --- ----- --- -

5. Coin-Op Carnival #2:

We're certainly not ready to announce a release date for Coin-Op Carnival #2, but I can tell you we've been chipping away at the next issue. We've been writing, I've been drawing, and illustrations are being flatted (getting prepared for digital colors) by a research assistant of mine from the university where I teach. So, as we promised, the next issue is forthcoming...at a pace that is not fast enough for anyone. Ha-ha! But, one day, it will see the light of day. If we're able to stick to our estimated time-frame, it would be released sometime in 2021. But as we've said from day one, that is our hope, not a hard and fast promise.

Here's hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Signed sincerely, two working dads,
    Ryan and Nick

#376 3 years ago

All awards are much deserved.
    Can not wait for #2 to be released.
    No excuses for it not getting out by 2021.
    THERE, the pressure is on!
    I did my part, except to buy it when it comes out.

#377 3 years ago

Ryan and Nick are two total class acts ! Great guys. As evidenced by his commentary about Johnathan Joosten / Pinball Magazine. Coin Op Carnival is an amazing publication - just the art alone is something to marvel at - I couldn't believe Ryan created some of the pictures in the book and they weren't originals or fully computer drawn... And I'm not like that into art stuff. The articles also were great - incredible interviews - some tech stuff but not written above anyone's heads, etc... Just a really great thing and for $ 15 or whatever it is a steal... I had mine for a while finally took it on vacation to read it last year and kicked myself for waiting so long to find the time to dig into it. Do yourself a favor, get one, not just because these guys are really good people in the hobby, but because you'll really enjoy it ! Any and all awards are deserved, but as you can tell these guys do it for the love of the hobby and man, you have to admire that ! THANK YOU both for what you do for the rest of us !
    Joe

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

All awards are much deserved.
    Can not wait for #2 to be released.
    No excuses for it not getting out by 2021.
    THERE, the pressure is on!
    I did my part, except to buy it when it comes out.

Thanks for your kind words, Tom! ...and I promise you, we're eating our elephant over here. One bite at a time, but it's gettin' done!

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Ryan and Nick are two total class acts ! Great guys. As evidenced by his commentary about Johnathan Joosten / Pinball Magazine. Coin Op Carnival is an amazing publication - just the art alone is something to marvel at - I couldn't believe Ryan created some of the pictures in the book and they weren't originals or fully computer drawn... And I'm not like that into art stuff. The articles also were great - incredible interviews - some tech stuff but not written above anyone's heads, etc... Just a really great thing and for $ 15 or whatever it is a steal... I had mine for a while finally took it on vacation to read it last year and kicked myself for waiting so long to find the time to dig into it. Do yourself a favor, get one, not just because these guys are really good people in the hobby, but because you'll really enjoy it ! Any and all awards are deserved, but as you can tell these guys do it for the love of the hobby and man, you have to admire that ! THANK YOU both for what you do for the rest of us !
    Joe

Wow. Joe. Thank you. Sincerely. I called my wife over to give this a read. That really means a lot. I...don't know what to say...but thank you.

Also, best of luck with your new church of pinball!!!

#379 3 years ago

Yes, thank you to everyone for your incredibly positive, supportive statements. To echo what Ryan said, my wife also was asked to read your kind words, Joe.

Very humbled and appreciative.

#380 3 years ago

By the way, we hit 500 members on our Facebook Group yesterday...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coinopcarnival/

...and to celebrate we're running a contest for a free copy of Coin-Op Carnival #1. You can have it sent to you or someone else as a gift! All this to say, if you're over on the FaceSpace, feel free to swing on by and join the group.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#381 3 years ago

Congratulations on the SPACE prize. Ya'll are okay.

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Congratulations on the SPACE prize. Ya'll are okay.

Thank you, Dennis!

Quoted from DennisK:

Ya'll are okay.

Whoa whoa whoa, pump the breaks there, turbo. You're gonna ruin your street cred with that type of lavish praise. Best of luck overthrowning piiIIINBAWL MARKET TREEeeendz.

...gawd, I can hear the canned music in my head now.

1 month later
    #383 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Coin-Op Carnival #1 received top prize, 1st place in the Graphic Novel category, in the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) annual awards.

Just a brief follow-up; the plaque arrived today.

FB_IMG_1595130775560.jpgFB_IMG_1595130775560.jpg

Big thanks to all the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (S.P.A.C.E.) exhibitors, S.P.A.C.E. Prize committee members, and S.P.A.C.E. Director Bob Corby, for this great honor. This recognition means a lot to us.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#384 3 years ago

Nice wok guys!
    Great award, especially with no car chases, sizable robots, or explosions!

20200719_195152 (resized).jpg20200719_195152 (resized).jpg
    #385 3 years ago

You've got an oldie but goodie bookmark there, RCA1 ! Not too many of those around anymore. Here's hoping it's keeping your place well.

1 week later
    #386 3 years ago

Today is the 102nd birthday of Wayne Neyens, the most prolific pinball designer of all time!

Wayne (resized).jpgWayne (resized).jpg

We had the great pleasure of not only featuring Wayne in our inaugural issue of Coin-Op Carnival, but also befriending him. It's a friendship we'll never forget. We'll be calling Wayne later today to send him our well wishes. In the meantime, if anyone has some thoughts they'd like us to pass along to Wayne, please post here.

#387 3 years ago

Happy Birthday Wayne! Thanks for the great games!

#388 3 years ago

I just wished Wayne a Happy 102nd Birthday!

Wayne is still doing very well, and at 102 is still living by himself at home.

He is very pleased to have hit this milestone. I asked, "so what's next?" He responded, "103, of course!"

Wayne is a treasure and I feel so fortunate that we have gotten to know him through Coin-Op Carnival.

#389 3 years ago

Called Wayne yesterday. We chat and he was in good spirits, especially after I mentioned all the kind words from folks here and on Facebook (we have a Coin-Op Carnival Group, if you've not heard). He spoke with my 7-year-old son who asked if he was a "magic man" because he's living so long. Ha-ha! When wrapping the conversation I told him how happy Nick and I are to have highlighted him and his work in our inaugural issue, and form a relationship with him because of it. He told me that being a part of our publication was one of the highlights of his life. Then I hung up, wept like a baby, and waited until the following day to post back here. Anyhow, all this to say, thank you all for making Wayne's monumental birthday even more special.

1 week later
    #390 3 years ago

Hi All,

This is a little off-topic, so I created it's own thread, but I have a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT today!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ryan-claytor-designs-watch-for-london-based-mr-jones-watches#post-5783054

Thanks for all your support, everyone!

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#391 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Called Wayne yesterday. We chat and he was in good spirits, especially after I mentioned all the kind words from folks here and on Facebook (we have a Coin-Op Carnival Group, if you've not heard). He spoke with my 7-year-old son who asked if he was a "magic man" because he's living so long. Ha-ha! When wrapping the conversation I told him how happy Nick and I are to have highlighted him and his work in our inaugural issue, and form a relationship with him because of it. He told me that being a part of our publication was one of the highlights of his life. Then I hung up, wept like a baby, and waited until the following day to post back here. Anyhow, all this to say, thank you all for making Wayne's monumental birthday even more special.

Kudos to you both for adding so much to the hobby and bringing some great pinball history, stories and tech topics to life in such a wonderful and unique way.

2 weeks later
    #392 3 years ago

SHORT STORY:
    Please sign up for my quarterly comics email list here:
    http://elephanteater.com/contact

LONG STORY:
    During a typical summer convention season, I’ll not only exhibit my work but also collect email addresses to stay in touch with folks who are interested in my art. However, with conventions in 2020 either delayed, canceled, or moved online, gathering new emails for my updates has been slow at best. As I’ve discussed this with people close to me, I’ve also become acutely aware that while I make my best low-pressure attempt to collect email addresses during conventions, I’ve been woefully negligent about asking friends and family if they’d be interested in joining this list.

With all that said, what exactly would you be signing up for, should you decide to join this list? Essentially, I’ll email you about 4x/year (sometimes it’s even less, but on a good year it’s just about four). These updates mention new book releases, public appearances, unreleased behind-the-scenes info, and key events surrounding my artwork. If you decide to join, I promise not to release your information and you’re able to opt out at anytime. Are you interested in seeing an example email? No problem. Click here to see the Summer 2020 update I sent a couple weeks ago:

https://madmimi.com/s/8690d01

In case it wasn’t clear, I’d like to make a push to get more email sign-ups, and I’m trying to make it as easy as possible with this hand-dandy form:

http://elephanteater.com/contact

Once you sign up, you’ll receive a confirmation email with an activation link to finalize the process. Occasionally this email will be diverted to your spam/junk folder. Just make sure to:

1. Click the activation link.

~and~

2. Whitelist that email address so future emails are directed to your inbox.

Finally, if you find it in your heart to share this information, I’d really appreciate that, too.

That’s all I’ve got for ya this week. Thanks for your consideration!

#393 3 years ago

Well I ordered got your 1st Edition of the Coin Op Carnival back when it came out but don't remember signing or getting newsletters on the mailing list, so I just signed up (again?) just to make sure.

On another note, any word on whether enough folks have signed up on the waiting list for another run of the watch?

#394 3 years ago

signed up

#395 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I just signed up

Thanks a bunch for the sign-ups! This helps more than you realized.

In other news...

RingoNom (resized).pngRingoNom (resized).png

...COIN-OP CARNIVAL IS NOMINATED FOR THE COMICS INDUSTRY 2020 'RINGO AWARD!!!

If you're a comics industry professional, you can vote over at:

https://ringoawards.com/

...where Coin-Op Carnival is listed in the "Best Non-fiction Comic Work" category.

Thanks, everyone for your help with the nomination earlier this year. This really means a lot to Nick and I. Now, if you know of any comics industry professionals...

Finally,

Quoted from ReadyPO:

any word on whether enough folks have signed up on the waiting list for another run of the watch?

No word yet, but we're in conversation.

#396 3 years ago

signed up, congrats on the nomination. Good Luck.

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

signed up, congrats on the nomination. Good Luck.

Thanks a bunch, Shane!

In more news, I made a shareable graphic:

elephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpgelephantEaterComicsEmailList (resized).jpg

Clickable---> http://elephanteater.com/contact

2 months later
    #398 3 years ago

Happy Halloween, Everyone. Coin-Op Carnival got reviewed on Comic Book News last week. Here's the clip:

Thanks, Dan Shahin and Larry Young for the kind words!

1 month later
    #399 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Happy Halloween, Everyone. Coin-Op Carnival got reviewed on Comic Book News last week. Here's the clip:

Thanks, Dan Shahin and Larry Young for the kind words!

Really nice review of an extraordinary comic book.

1 year later
    #400 1 year ago

It's been quite a while since anyone has posted to this thread. I hope Coin-Op Carnival #2 is still in the works!

There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-op-carnival-a-new-em-focused-publication/page/8?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.