Topic Stats

• 258 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 178 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

boxes (resized).jpg
    ohstopit.gif
    oooo.gif
    whoopsy.gif
    LionCan (resized).jpg
    boxes (resized).jpg
    CCtourSchedulePHoF (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_163207841 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_162827981 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_162139150 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_132718102 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_131935299 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_132303889 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_131928013 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190515_132104282 (resized).jpg
    balky.gif

There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 30 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick and I are truly humbled by your sentiments, but, Pecos (and anyone else), we are doing just fine and please please please DO NOT send us extra cash.

In that case, I ordered two copies. One for myself, of course, and one that I will be taking down to D&D Pinball for everyone to peruse before buying their OWN copy. If you have never been to D&D Pinball, what are you waiting for? One good reason to visit is to play my Black Knight that I brought down there on Friday. And after the Coin-Op Carnival: Electrifying Tales of Mechanical Contraptions book arrives and I can get it down there, you have another reason to visit. END - self-serving plug for D&D pinball.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

So, please, put your extra cash toward that great Tucson route you're developing! We'd rather see the extra dough put toward perfecting your public games than lining our pockets.

Thanks, I will be placing an order for Pinitech LED displays soon and I will be thinking of both of you.

#202 30 days ago

Just now seeing this thread for the first time.
    Didn't even get through the first page and already ordered a copy.
    Looks awesome.

#203 30 days ago

Mine arrived yesterday - it is amazing - incredibly well done

#204 30 days ago
    Quoted from BallyCrazy:

I've made a quick presentation of your publication on 2 french forums for EM coin operated games lovers :

oh no, it's always trouble when I discover regional EM sites those! I should probably be blocked from browsing European and Japanese sites for rare games... For my own good.
    Thanks for sharing though!

#205 30 days ago

Will this magazine herald the resurgence of love and demand for these machines? Love to see all the turnout and enthusiasm!

#206 30 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Will this magazine herald the resurgence of love and demand for these machines? Love to see all the turnout and enthusiasm!

Sadly, I don’t think so. Seems like a vast majority of new Pinsiders are only interested in pins made in the last 5-10 years and that few have the appreciation for EMs and the many innovations they brought to the pinball world and the related industry history.

#207 30 days ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

I ordered two copies. One for myself, of course, and one that I will be taking down to D&D Pinball for everyone to peruse...

You are the best, Pecos. Thanks for all your support and help with pinball (and coin-op) evangelism.

Quoted from Pecos:

I will be placing an order for Pinitech LED displays soon and I will be thinking of both of you.

Ha-ha! Fantastic! Post of picture of those bright displays once installed!

Quoted from Coindork:

Just now seeing this thread for the first time.
    Didn't even get through the first page and already ordered a copy.
    Looks awesome.

Wow. This post made my day. Very cool to hear, and thanks for posting, Coindork.

Quoted from boo32:

Mine arrived yesterday - it is amazing - incredibly well done

Thank you! ...and expect your shirt soon! I sent it out yesterday (Nick was out of your size).

Quoted from cait001:

Love to see all the turnout and enthusiasm!

SAME!!! Thanks for your help in Ottawa this coming summer, Caitlyn! For those unaware, Caitlyn is helping us with some Coin-Op Carnival distribution at a couple of shows in Canada:

- Hawkesbury Pinball Flea Fair (June ‘19)
    - Ottawa Pinball Gameroom Show (September ‘19)

Finally, I'll just leave this buried lead right here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-claytorian-basement-remodel

Thanks for all your support and interest in our work, everyone! Such a cool group here.

#208 30 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I don’t know about other parts of the country, but out here I find it hard to find really nice EM games. I actively look for things like EM shooters or other EM games and they just don’t pop up that often in Arizona. I think maybe Phoenix just wasn’t big enough at the time or didn’t really have that many arcades etc until the 80s. Mostly I find them in places like California and have to bring them here.
    I think I have 8 or 9 EM games (not counting pins) and only a few of them I found local. I think your definitely starting to see more people interested in these kinds of games. Let’s face it, many of them are really neat, fun to play and the artwork is beautiful.

I think there is a growing interest in EM pins as well (at least if they are in nice playable shape). Seems like a couple years ago you could buy pretty nice EM pins out here for $500 give or take. I don’t really see that anymore unless they are a project. Maybe that’s just the local market and not the rest of the county?
    My take on it is that an EM pin is a cheap way to ad variety and a new pin to your collection without spending several thousand dollars. I don’t think they are going to skyrocket in price or anything like that, but I definitely think there is more interest.

#209 30 days ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm still stuffing envelopes over here at Coin-Op Carnival headquarters South!

I have a few more big batches to send out, then I should be up-to-the-day on shipping out books. All are wrapped and ready to go, but we are trying to stay on the good side of the postal workers and not hold up the lines more than necessary, so we're sending out a few dozen a day. What's that saying? "You win more flies with honey..." Wait, why do you want a bunch of flies?

And another box of 100 are arriving on my doorstep tomorrow to prevent running out again (well, for a while anyway)!

#210 28 days ago

__patz (resized).jpg

Packed up and ready for the...

...THIS WEEKEND!!!

CCtourSchedule (resized).jpg

Hope to meet some pinsiders in Michigan or Ohio! Please stop by and say hello!

#211 27 days ago

Man, I love Pinball at the Zoo. Such a great, relaxed, hometown show. I set up yesterday and will be here the duration of the show.

IMG_20190425_181502000 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190425_181524050 (resized).jpg

...and you may have noticed a little something beyond my T-shirt tree:

IMG_20190425_181605976 (resized).jpg

...a glorious cluster of woodrails:

IMG_20190425_181628799 (resized).jpg

...as well as a number of EMs and even Rockola's World Series purely mechanical pin:

IMG_20190425_182027192 (resized).jpg

This serendipitous conglomeration of titles is thanks to my exhibitor neighbors, Scott, Dave, and Matt.

Speaking of tremendous vendors, Dave and Leann of Ulek Store presented me with a surprise gift:

IMG_20190425_183118941 (resized).jpg

...A MUG WITH THE WRAP-AROUND COVER IMAGE FROM COIN-OP CARNIVAL #1!!!

IMG_20190425_183127722 (resized).jpg

MAH GAWD!!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!! Make sure you stop by the Ulek booth to say hello! They're wonderful folks with wonderful custom products and always willing to talk about new possibilities.

IMG_20190425_183700204 (resized).jpg
    #212 27 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Sadly, I don’t think so. Seems like a vast majority of new Pinsiders are only interested in pins made in the last 5-10 years and that few have the appreciation for EMs and the many innovations they brought to the pinball world and the related industry history.

True, but I mean like, RELATIVE resurgence. The more these machines get to shine, we reach the occasional new person and they get sucked in. It's a numbers game. Get the new players in on the shiny LCD screens. Some might go back to the 80s solid state. Other might further go back to the 1970s. Classics tournaments have been GREAT for promoting like this.
    Some might go even further to 50s and 60s, and some of us shake down to the realms of the flipperless! next thing you know you're researching different sized marbles used in the 1930s and trying to rebuild old gambling devices from around the world.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

SAME!!! Thanks for your help in Ottawa this coming summer, Caitlyn! For those unaware, Caitlyn is helping us with some Coin-Op Carnival distribution at a couple of shows in Canada:

I might put in a 2nd order for the September show. I only have 4 copies left to take with me to the Hawkesbury show.
    I wnat a signed copy this time, I forgot to ask for one. AND THE MUG!

Quoted from Coindork:

My take on it is that an EM pin is a cheap way to ad variety and a new pin to your collection without spending several thousand dollars. I don’t think they are going to skyrocket in price or anything like that, but I definitely think there is more interest.

On reading this I went to your profile to see if I could see any pics of your EM machines. Have you posted any up before?

As someone with very limited space, discovering all of these other machine types beyond modern pinball has really opened up so many new avenues in the hobby. From the smaller 1930s tables, to Japanese upright machines, to European EM gamblers, I'm able to fit so much more in.

#213 26 days ago

Pinball at the Zoo was fantastic! Just pulled into Columbus after a rainy 4+ hour drive. Feeling lucky to be able to share this new publication with so many people and looking forward to presenting a seminar at the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo tomorrow! Thanks for everyone's continued support. I'll leave you with a couple pictures of some pinball ambassadors I met at PatZ.

Good night!

IMG_20190426_142532253 (resized).jpgIMG_20190427_134433983 (resized).jpg
    #214 26 days ago

TROGDOR!!!!!!

Awesome shirt.

#216 24 days ago

Thought I'd post a brief wrap-up from S.P.A.C.E. (The Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo) in Columbus, OH, yesterday.

I arrived at the Northland Performing Art Center early Sunday morning...

SPACE (resized).jpg

...and got my table set-up:

table (resized).jpg

Before settling in at my table, I made some rounds and chat with a number of other comics exhibitors I've met over the years. I bought a bunch of comics and was pretty proud to show-off the new book that Nick and I recently finished. Later that day, at 1pm, I was scheduled to deliver a presentation.

I want to take a moment here to give a big shout-out and thank you to fellow pinsider, @violinsteve , who made it a point to come out to S.P.A.C.E. specifically to see me deliver a presentation on Coin-Op Carnival. Way cool. Plus, he took these next three pictures you're about to see.

So, here's that presentation I mentioned...

presentation (resized).jpg

...and one of the 200+ slides:

58443463_10218272013328178_4843378871023697920_n (resized).jpg

After the presentation, it was back to the table where I got to have a nice chat with Steve. Real good dude.

tableRyan (resized).jpg

At the end of the day, I packed up and drove the 4 hours back home to Michigan...

spaceMap (resized).jpg

...exhausted and elated from the experiences over the past few days.

Then, this morning I woke up to this...

LSJ01 (resized).jpg

LSJ02 (resized).jpg

...and as SirScott mentioned, you can also find it online:

Thanks, Scott!!!

...however, in the online version, it's hard to tell that I beat out Pat Sajak for top billing:

sajak (resized).jpg

Aw yeah.

Thanks for all the support this past weekend, guys and gals! Nick and I both really appreciate it.

See you next weekend at the VFW show in Ann Arbor, MI:

CCtourScheduleVFW (resized).jpg

#217 22 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thought I'd post a brief wrap-up from S.P.A.C.E. (The Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo) in Columbus, OH, yesterday.
    I arrived at the Northland Performing Art Center early Sunday morning...
    [quoted image]
    ...and got my table set-up:
    [quoted image]
    Before settling in at my table, I made some rounds and chat with a number of other comics exhibitors I've met over the years. I bought a bunch of comics and was pretty proud to show-off the new book that Nick and I recently finished. Later that day, at 1pm, I was scheduled to deliver a presentation.
    I want to take a moment here to give a big shout-out and thank you to fellow pinsider, @violinsteve , who made it a point to come out to S.P.A.C.E. specifically to see me deliver a presentation on Coin-Op Carnival. Way cool. Plus, he took these next three pictures you're about to see.
    So, here's that presentation I mentioned...
    [quoted image]
    ...and one of the 200+ slides:
    [quoted image]
    After the presentation, it was back to the table where I got to have a nice chat with Steve. Real good dude.
    [quoted image]
    At the end of the day, I packed up and drove the 4 hours back home to Michigan...
    [quoted image]
    ...exhausted and elated from the experiences over the past few days.
    Then, this morning I woke up to this...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    ...and as SirScott mentioned, you can also find it online:

Thanks, Scott!!!
    ...however, in the online version, it's hard to tell that I beat out Pat Sajak for top billing:
    [quoted image]
    Aw yeah.
    Thanks for all the support this past weekend, guys and gals! Nick and I both really appreciate it.
    See you next weekend at the VFW show in Ann Arbor, MI:
    [quoted image]

Can't wait to see you in a couple days.... Always love chatting at the VFW. Excited to see the book live!

#218 22 days ago

Ryan - just a great job on the book. Can we pre-order the next 3? We chatted a bit at PATZ when I picked up a copy and I’ll be sure to say hello at VFW. Completely entertained by the first issue.

#219 21 days ago

Debating getting another copy so I can make the art projects in there without cutting up the sweet autographed copy I got from Ryan last weekend.
    Anyone build the games so far?

#220 21 days ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Can't wait to see you in a couple days.... Always love chatting at the VFW. Excited to see the book live!

Thanks, Meeg! Can't wait for you to see it in person. We're so gosh darned proud of these things.

Quoted from Pmoore66:

Ryan - just a great job on the book. Can we pre-order the next 3?

Hi Pmoore66. Since you and I chat at PatZ, Nick and I had a deeper discussion about our ability to manage the many arms of this project and we both came to a consensus that while a subscription would be great for readers (I'm part of a subscription service or two, and I love 'em), when we took a good, hard, honest look at our schedules, we just don't have the bandwidth to track that right now. Sorry.

An alternative we've been mentioning to folks who are interested in being notified about future issues is to sign-up for my personal comics update list. I self-publish my books under the moniker "Elephant Eater Comics" ( www.ElephantEater.com ), so the email would come from there. However, this is THE project I'm working on for the foreseeable future, so essentially the roughly-quarterly (sometimes it's not that frequent) updates will be talking primarily about Coin-Op Carnival, as well as appearances and other things I might be doing related to comics.

If that is something that interests you, Pmoore, (or anyone else, for that matter), please send an email to info at coinopcarnival dot com and we'll make sure you get added to that email update list.

Hope this helps!

Quoted from Pmoore66:

Completely entertained by the first issue.

So awesome!!! Thanks a bunch for the kind feedback.

Quoted from RCA1:

Debating getting another copy so I can make the art projects in there without cutting up the sweet autographed copy I got from Ryan last weekend.

Ha-ha! I swear it wasn't our intention to sell more books based on the back-to-back printing of those papercraft models. If someone wants to make a laserjet color copy of the papercraft model from their purchased book, I certainly wouldn't fault them for that. In fact, I'd relish a photograph or two of someone who actually completed them. Ha-ha!

Quoted from RCA1:

Anyone build the games so far?

Actually, I'm working on mine right now!

___papercraft (resized).jpg

WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO FINISH!??!

In other news, yesterday Nick and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside."

https://www.michiganradio.org/programs/stateside-cynthia-canty

___NPR (resized).jpg

It was a fascinating effort of logistics, as the host, Nick, and I were each in different cities! Regardless, I think the conversation went pretty well, but we'll all see for sure once it airs. At this moment, we're not certain of its inaugural airdate, but it will likely be today or tomorrow. The show airs at 3pm and again at 10pm (EST) weekdays. It will also be archived after the fact if you're not able to tune in upon initial airing. We'll be sure to update when we know anything new.

I feel like I've said this before, but it becomes no less true each time it's said, Nick and I can't thank you all enough for the support you've all shown us. This has been such an amazing experience releasing this first issue. Thank you.

Looking forward to meeting some more folks at the VFW Show this weekend!

#221 17 days ago

Hello All,

The promotional interviews continue to trickle in, as Jeff Teolis uploaded a massive, multi-interview, episode from his many travels in the past month. Nick and I are interviewed about Coin-Op Carnival and Nick's tremendous Multi-Bingo around the 25 minute mark:

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/ep-195-mega-episode_144408

I'm also fresh off my weekend exhibiting at...

...near Ann Arbor, MI...

CCtourScheduleVFW (resized).jpg

...which was a right dandy time.

My Friday began with a sip of tea from my...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...Ulek Store...surprise gift...

IMG_20190503_072105135 (resized).jpg

...before taking my son to school and dashing off to the "E.M. World Championships" at the start of the showcase weekend. I believe there were about 64 people competing ( j_m_ are my numbers correct?) and when I got knocked out there were 6 people remaining in the competition. So, I don't think I earned any bragging rights from my 7th place showing, but I always have a great time at that tournament. 1 on 1 competitions throughout the day with time to meet and converse with your partner as you're playing. Great fun.

After getting knocked-out, I set up my booth behind the bar at the back of the main hall:

IMG_20190503_170606760 (resized).jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cfh 's collection of 400+ machines is the best kept, widest era spanning, assembly of games I've ever laid eyes on.

IMG_20190503_174649114 (resized).jpg

The collection of neon is almost as extensive as the games themselves, like this little gem behind the bar where I was exhibiting:

IMG_20190504_135135466 (resized).jpg

Pretty awesome to have access to this assortment of so many rarely seen titles. New additions to this year's roster were a handful of pre-war games scattered about. Here are just a couple examples (can't believe I didn't get pictures of the others):

IMG_20190504_115635426 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190503_141139047 (resized).jpg

I managed a pretty decent game on Bally's "Air Way", sinking 8 out of 10 balls:

IMG_20190503_141205371 (resized).jpg

Then, of course, there was the drool-inducing collection of woodrails:

IMG_20190504_115553869 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115600696 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190504_115608911 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115618429 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115627538 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115654707 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115706731 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115713501 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115723808 (resized).jpg

Oh, and did I neglect to mention the line-up of upright and skill-roll games?

IMG_20190504_115735711 (resized).jpgIMG_20190504_115740779 (resized).jpg

elmoDies.gif

I could continue, but I was there to let people know about our book. Many of which were purchased. And it was so delightful to connect with people over this passion project of ours! The unfortunate part of these updates is that it's hard to photograph and make visual these experiences and relationships. I've really come to value these conversations, repeated meetings, and developed friendships over the years of exhibiting at shows like this. Moreover, I feel odd singling out any particular meeting because I won't be able to mention all of them, nor would I do them any justice with a short recount, so I'll just take this opportunity to lapse into a brief parade of pictures from the weekend:

IMG_20190503_192020517 (resized).jpgIMG_20190503_145634769.jpgIMG_20190503_145620501.jpgIMG_20190505_095443497.jpgIMG_20190503_144336441.jpgIMG_20190503_144328746.jpgIMG_20190503_144322643.jpg

...and my 3-day view from behind the bar:

IMG_20190503_171347902.jpg

On Sunday, the final day of the show, I completed a puzzle with my son before leaving home for the day:

IMG_20190505_071548752 (resized).jpg

A great number of folks in the Michigan Pinball community approached me over the weekend to ask about my fine son and recounted memories of him as a wee fellow being worn on my chest at various events. Our big little dude is a little too big for that these days.

Anyhow, on this last day of the VFW Show, I tried getting out from behind the table every once in a while to sample the majority of the woodrails.

I've heard Gottlieb game designer, Wayne Neyens, mention his (and his family's) fondness for Niagara, and after playing it I can see why his kids were upset when Wayne traded it away for a set of encyclopedias. Very fun game with that characteristically pitch-perfect Neyens thresholding built into a gaggle of ways to win replays. Add to that the accomplished, whimsical, and intricate artwork by Roy Parker, and I can see why this title is in high demand:

IMG_20190505_120423776 (resized).jpg

Thumbs up, indeed!

Next, I was really drawn to the theme (CROQUET!??!) of Green Pastures , but found the gameplay pretty difficult. The layout of the bumper sequence was actually quite inventive and daring, as it was layed-out in the configuration of a croquet field. Unfortunately, it felt too challenging to accomplish, with the second half of the number sequence ascending up the playfield and posts drilled into the middle of the playing surface obstructing desirable ball paths off the flippers. And while there were still a number of different ways to win replays, this game seemed to have those replay thresholds set way too high. I didn't even come close to achieving any of them. When I walked up to the game, based on theme and artwork I thought this would instantly rocket to the top of my short list. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I felt quite the contrary as I walked away:

IMG_20190505_120419791 (resized).jpg

Thumbs downy.

Perhaps I just need some more time on this game to appreciate it. I wish I did because of the theme and artwork, but perhaps I'm just saving myself the pain of trying to find one, as it's a pretty low production run game.

Anyhow, this one seems to be a mainstay of the VFW, but a new addition I spotted in a separate annex was 1950's "Rose Bowl":

IMG_20190504_181946570 (resized).jpg

This title is thematically reminiscent of the designer's (Wayne Neyens, again) first game, College Daze, which was released just a couple of years prior. Rose-Bowl , however, has an interesting feature in which the game provides a random score for the visiting team at the start of the game and your job, as the home team, is to beat their score by the end of 5 balls. However, much like "Green Pastures", this was another instance where I felt like the replay thresholds were set impossibly high, making the game much less fun when the possibility of winning feels too far away. But again, that was merely a first impression and perhaps I just got a couple of high visiting scores to beat.

Nevertheless, I was thankful for the opportunity to play a number of these rare games I'd not had the chance to prior to this past weekend.

More importantly, I'm glad to have connected with a great number of readers, which has me jazzed for the next tour stop in Fort Wayne, IN at Summit Sports, Comics, and Games!

CCtourScheduleSummit (resized).jpg

This particular date lands on a Wednesday, which also happens to be new comic book day (the day each week that new comics are released). So come on out to Summit in Fort Wayne on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 for your chance to take a look at our new book in person.

Thank you for your continued support of our project! ...and coming soon, we'll have an unexpected announcement to share with you.

#222 17 days ago

I saw a copy was donated to the prize raffle at ZapCon over the weekend.
    Thanks to whomever donated it BTW.
    I pointed it out to a few people when it was sitting on the prize table telling them how cool it is and to check it out

#223 16 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hello All,
    The promotional interviews continue to trickle in, as Jeff Teolis uploaded a massive, multi-interview, episode from his many travels in the past month. Nick and I are interviewed about Coin-Op Carnival and Nick's tremendous Multi-Bingo around the 25 minute mark:
    http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/ep-195-mega-episode_144408
    I'm also fresh off my weekend exhibiting at...

...near Ann Arbor, MI...
    [quoted image]
    ...which was a right dandy time.
    My Friday began with a sip of tea from my...

[quoted image]
    ...before taking my son to school and dashing off to the "E.M. World Championships" at the start of the showcase weekend. I believe there were about 64 people competing ( j_m_ are my numbers correct?) and when I got knocked out there were 6 people remaining in the competition. So, I don't think I earned any bragging rights from my 7th place showing, but I always have a great time at that tournament. 1 on 1 competitions throughout the day with time to meet and converse with your partner as you're playing. Great fun.
    After getting knocked-out, I set up my booth behind the bar at the back of the main hall:
    [quoted image]
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, cfh 's collection of 400+ machines is the best kept, widest era spanning, assembly of games I've ever laid eyes on.
    [quoted image]
    The collection of neon is almost as extensive as the games themselves, like this little gem behind the bar where I was exhibiting:
    [quoted image]
    Pretty awesome to have access to this assortment of so many rarely seen titles. New additions to this year's roster were a handful of pre-war games scattered about. Here are just a couple examples (can't believe I didn't get pictures of the others):
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I managed a pretty decent game on Bally's "Air Way", sinking 8 out of 10 balls:
    [quoted image]
    Then, of course, there was the drool-inducing collection of woodrails:
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    Oh, and did I neglect to mention the line-up of upright and skill-roll games?
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I could continue, but I was there to let people know about our book. Many of which were purchased. And it was so delightful to connect with people over this passion project of ours! The unfortunate part of these updates is that it's hard to photograph and make visual these experiences and relationships. I've really come to value these conversations, repeated meetings, and developed friendships over the years of exhibiting at shows like this. Moreover, I feel odd singling out any particular meeting because I won't be able to mention all of them, nor would I do them any justice with a short recount, so I'll just take this opportunity to lapse into a brief parade of pictures from the weekend:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    ...and my 3-day view from behind the bar:
    [quoted image]
    On Sunday, the final day of the show, I completed a puzzle with my son before leaving home for the day:
    [quoted image]
    A great number of folks in the Michigan Pinball community approached me over the weekend to ask about my fine son and recounted memories of him as a wee fellow being worn on my chest at various events. Our big little dude is a little too big for that these days.
    Anyhow, on this last day of the VFW Show, I tried getting out from behind the table every once in a while to sample the majority of the woodrails.
    I've heard Gottlieb game designer, Wayne Neyens, mention his (and his family's) fondness for Niagara, and after playing it I can see why his kids were upset when Wayne traded it away for a set of encyclopedias. Very fun game with that characteristically pitch-perfect Neyens thresholding built into a gaggle of ways to win replays. Add to that the accomplished, whimsical, and intricate artwork by Roy Parker, and I can see why this title is in high demand:
    [quoted image]
    Thumbs up, indeed!
    Next, I was really drawn to the theme (CROQUET!??!) of Green Pastures , but found the gameplay pretty difficult. The layout of the bumper sequence was actually quite inventive and daring, as it was layed-out in the configuration of a croquet field. Unfortunately, it felt too challenging to accomplish, with the second half of the number sequence ascending up the playfield and posts drilled into the middle of the playing surface obstructing desirable ball paths off the flippers. And while there were still a number of different ways to win replays, this game seemed to have those replay thresholds set way too high. I didn't even come close to achieving any of them. When I walked up to the game, based on theme and artwork I thought this would instantly rocket to the top of my short list. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I felt quite the contrary as I walked away:
    [quoted image]
    Thumbs downy.
    Perhaps I just need some more time on this game to appreciate it. I wish I did because of the theme and artwork, but perhaps I'm just saving myself the pain of trying to find one, as it's a pretty low production run game.
    Anyhow, this one seems to be a mainstay of the VFW, but a new addition I spotted in a separate annex was 1950's "Rose Bowl":
    [quoted image]
    This title is thematically reminiscent of the designer's (Wayne Neyens, again) first game, College Daze, which was released just a couple of years prior. Rose Bowl, however, has an interesting feature in which the game provides a random score for the visiting team at the start of the game and your job, as the home team, is to beat their score by the end of 5 balls. However, much like "Green Pastures", this was another instance where I felt like the replay thresholds were set impossibly high, making the game much less fun when the possibility of winning feels too far away. But again, that was merely a first impression and perhaps I just got a couple of high visiting scores to beat.
    Nevertheless, I was thankful for the opportunity to play a number of these rare games I'd not had the chance to prior to this past weekend.
    More importantly, I'm glad to have connected with a great number of readers, which has me jazzed for the next tour stop in Fort Wayne, IN at Summit Sports, Comics, and Games!
    [quoted image]
    This particular date lands on a Wednesday, which also happens to be new comic book day (the day each week that new comics are released). So come on out to Summit in Fort Wayne on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 for your chance to take a look at our new book in person.
    Thank you for your continued support of our project! ...and coming soon, we'll have an unexpected announcement to share with you.

Some nice wood rails there. I see three Gottlieb's I've never seen before there too (Marble Queen, Mermaid and Green Pastures).
    I've always liked the artwork on Gottlieb's of that era.
    And I've never seen that CC Play ball before. Scoring on the playfield, no bat or flippers, and to me it looks to be a bit of a narrow game (for that era).

... and then there's Ringer and Ice Cold Beer!

#224 16 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I saw a copy was donated to the prize raffle at ZapCon over the weekend.

We did not, but I'd be curious who did! Very cool, regardless.

Quoted from Coindork:

I pointed it out to a few people when it was sitting on the prize table telling them how cool it is and to check it out

...and THANK YOU for helping to spread the word!

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

and to me it looks to be a bit of a narrow game (for that era).

Perhaps, but I think also a bit l-o-n-g-e-r?

Anyhow...

- --- ----- N-E-W-S ----- --- -

Do you remember about 5 days ago when...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside."

Well, here's an excerpt from an email we just received:

- --- --- -
    The conversation you recorded with Cynthia Canty about Coin-Op Carnival will air today on our show.

Stateside airs from 3-4 p.m. and again from 10-11 p.m. on Michigan Radio:
    91.7 FM – Ann Arbor/Detroit
    91.1 FM – Flint
    104.1 FM – West Michigan
    MichiganRadio.org – online streaming

You'll also be able to find the full audio of your segment around 5 p.m. today on the Stateside page of our website, MichiganRadio.org.
    - --- --- -

Let's see how this turned out and if they honored my request NOT to play The Who's "Pinball Wizard."

#225 16 days ago

Ryan confirmed to me at vfw that minstrel man will not be in the cards for an art adaptation.

#226 16 days ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Ryan confirmed to me at vfw that minstrel man will not be in the cards for an art adaptation.

shakes.gif

So, as I was saying...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nick @bingopodcast Baldridge, and I were interviewed on NPR for the Michigan program called "Stateside" to talk about our new pinball-related project.

Well, that aired, and now it's archived here:

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/stateside-state-senate-passes-auto-insurance-reform-pinball-history-comic-book-new-west-mi

^^^ ...just scroll about 1/2 - 2/3 down that page to find our isolated segment.

Enjoy,
    Ryan

#227 15 days ago

Got my book from PBR and read it last night, awesome! Great work Ryan & Nick. The interview with Wayne Neyens was just phenomenal.

#228 15 days ago

Just ordered another copy off www.coinopcarnival.com as a gift!

#229 15 days ago

The PaperCraft projects look great but I don't want to cut up my book! Do you have a printable file you could share?

Plus, If I cut one out, I lose the other because it is on the back of the page.

Or I could make copies onto heavy stock directly from the book if that is ok with you.

#230 15 days ago

Just received my book, great job.

#231 15 days ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

The PaperCraft projects look great but I don't want to cut up my book!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I swear it wasn't our intention to sell more books based on the back-to-back printing of those papercraft models. If someone wants to make a laserjet color copy of the papercraft model from their purchased book, I certainly wouldn't fault them for that. In fact, I'd relish a photograph or two of someone who actually completed them.

Send us a picture here when you put 'em together!

#232 14 days ago

OMG the VFW pics are to die for.
    Drop Kick!
    Mermaid!
    Ten Strike!
    Carnival!
    ugggh on Minstrel Man, a relic of it's era I guess.
    Lucky 7 roll-up!
    Turf Champ!
    Ringer!
    Skill Roll & SKill Score & Skill Derby!!!
    Mystic STar!

#233 14 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Drop Kick!
    Mermaid!
    Ten Strike!
    Carnival!
    Lucky 7 roll-up!
    Turf Champ!
    Ringer!
    Mystic STar!

I told you to join... Maybe next year

#234 14 days ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Drop Kick!
    Mermaid!
    Ten Strike!
    Carnival!
    Lucky 7 roll-up!
    Turf Champ!
    Ringer!
    Mystic STar!

I know, Cait...I know... *sighs*

- --- ----- --- -

In other news, do you all remember when I mentioned...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...coming soon, we'll have an unexpected announcement to share with you.

Well, this whole book release/tour/online sales/etc THING has exceeded our wildest expectations. Please allow me to spin you a brief yarn...

We initially printed 1,100 copies of Coin-Op Carnival #1. I expected this would keep us stocked for 2, 3, maybe 4 years or so. Which is just fine, because we're in this for the long haul (a 4 issue series with a release roughly every other year). However, about a month after the release, we were only about 4 or 5 tour stops in, and our stock was down to about 2-300 copies. At this rate, we were pretty certain we would not have enough copies to sell at the remaining tour stops. A GREAT PROBLEM TO HAVE, to be sure. With all that said, I've been making some minor changes to the illustration/book files for the past week-ish, and...our GRAND ANNOUNCEMENT IS:

WE'RE REPRINTING COIN-OP CARNIVAL #1 ONLY A MONTH AND A HALF AFTER ITS RELEASE!!!

So, on Tuesday, I sent said illustration/book files off to a local printer here in Lansing, MI, and today I picked up the proofs:

IMG_20190509_104304553 (resized).jpg

This afternoon, I'll hand the proofs back to the printer for approval and tomorrow morning I'll be on site for press check as they begin printing the covers and interiors!

Nick and I both wanted to send out our sincerest thanks to everyone who has made this passion project venture of ours such an overwhelming success. I know we've said things in the past, like...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

we really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Thank you to all who have ordered

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

we cannot thank you enough for your overwhelming support

It was great to meet all of you and thank you all for your very nice words about the project...

...and sometimes I feel like our gratitude, sincere as it is, might get mistaken for platitudes. However, we hope that this transparent and quantitative data helps to put into sharp perspective how grateful we are for the pinball community's support from the moment this project was released. We are absolutely bowled-over by all this and it completely lights our fire to continue this project for years to come. ...and, expect some press-check pictures tomorrow.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Most sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

#235 14 days ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I told you to join... Maybe next year

I'm terrible in this hobby since I loathe car trips longer than 5 hours.

#236 14 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

WE'RE REPRINTING COIN-OP CARNIVAL #1 ONLY A MONTH AND A HALF AFTER ITS RELEASE!!!

WOAH CONGRATS!
    Hit me up with another order of 10 copies for Canada. Plus, I want a signed one for myself.

#237 14 days ago

Congrats on the success. Hopefully the book tour continues to go just as well!

Your definition in footnote of "Peened".........lol

#238 14 days ago

I'm really happy to hear that you guys are doing well with the project.
    Partially from a purely selfish standpoint because that means you will be producing more issues.
    I think this is a really great project and look forward to its continued success.

#239 14 days ago

My family has been working on a project to map every city to which Coin-Op Carnival has been mailed (individual orders, not shows, tour stops, or distributors). Multiple instances in one city are not marked, so these are unique destinations.

The greatest concentration is North America:
    IMG_20190509_154751 (resized).jpg

But an awful lot have traveled overseas to Europe:
    IMG_20190509_154905 (resized).jpg

And Australia:
    IMG_20190509_155024 (resized).jpg

Don't be fooled by the relatively few(er) dots in Europe and Australia - we've had multiple orders from almost every city represented on that map in foreign countries! It's pretty fun to see where the book has traveled, and the kids are learning a bit of geography at the same time.

#240 14 days ago

My family has been working on a project to map every city to which Coin-Op Carnival has been mailed (individual orders, not shows, tour stops, or distributors). Multiple instances in one city are not marked, so these are unique destinations.
    The greatest concentration is North America:
    [quoted image]
    But an awful lot have traveled overseas to Europe:
    [quoted image]
    And Australia:
    [quoted image]
    Don't be fooled by the relatively few(er) dots in Europe and Australia - we've had multiple orders from almost every city represented on that map in foreign countries! It's pretty fun to see where the book has traveled, and the kids are learning a bit of geography at the same time.

You can add Vaughan, Ontario to the map if you'd like. That's where mine lives now.

#241 14 days ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

You can add Vaughan, Ontario to the map if you'd like. That's where mine lives now.

Will do!

#242 14 days ago

add Ottawa, Ontario too!

#243 14 days ago

I still have to buy one from ya, Nick. PM incoming.

#244 13 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

expect some press-check pictures tomorrow.

Happy tomorrow! So, I went in for press check at 8am this morning. The printers were running our book on their two big presses, one for the covers and one for the interiors. Here's the start with the paper being fed on the right side:

printingCC1wide.gif

After making its way through each of the four (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black) drums, it ends up on this side:

IMG_20190510_090639768 (resized).jpg

Kinda like this:

printingCC1.gif

I took a close look for color accuracy and density.

IMG_20190510_082159001_HDR (resized).jpg

Everything looked fantastic, so it got my signature of approval. Once the stack for that particular signature is complete, the giant brick of paper is set aside to dry before printing on the other side.

IMG_20190510_090657921 (resized).jpg

As I mentioned, covers were being printed on another giant press. Here they are being spit-out in rapid succession:

IMG_20190510_091007679 (resized).jpg

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the grand and glorious bar code for our book (located on the inside-front cover) wasn't printing appropriately. I created the file so that the barcode was completely thresholded and essentially printing in binary, either black or nothing. Translated, that means it was set up to have SUPER sharp edges, but it was printing with halftoned edges (a bunch of little dots on all edges of the bar code). I had a copy of the first printing handy and showed them that the identical file printed with nice crisp edges on the bar code. To make a long and boring story short, the pre-press fellow worked it out, created a new black plate, replaced that new black plate on the press that was printing the covers, printed a few new copies, and the new plate had the covers looking fabulous!

IMG_20190510_090843735 (resized).jpg

...which warranted another signature of approval:

signature (resized).jpg

All this to say, if it's at all possible, I like to be present when the books are running off the line. First of all, it's nice to be available to intercept any issues, like the bar code I mentioned above, or color inconsistencies, of which there were none. But it's also just a complete charge to see all the activity...

IMG_20190510_090111144 (resized).jpg

...and the sheer mechanical wonder of these machines at work in concert with the people that orchestrate them:

IMG_20190510_090631379 (resized).jpg

Naturally, it's also a huge high seeing 2+ years of work finally stack-up in a tangible way:

IMG_20190510_090618478 (resized).jpg

The process of printing Coin-Op Carnival #1 (...the second printing) should be done by the end of today. Collating, perforating, folding, saddle-stitching, and trimming, should all happen early next week. I'll update again when there's something new to report. In the meantime, I'm quite happy with the way things were progressing today. Can't wait to pick-up another 1,000 copies so that we're sure to make it though this tour with books in hand.

Thank you, again, for making this all possible. Without your voracious support, this, quite literally, would not be happening. Glad to share this experience with each of you.

Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick

printingCC1light.gif

#245 13 days ago

Scanning the background for that fancy printer that puts the white down on the plastics

#246 13 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Happy tomorrow! So, I went in for press check at 8am this morning. The printers were running our book on their two big presses, one for the covers and one for the interiors. Here's the start with the paper being fed on the right side:
    [quoted image]
    After making its way through each of the four (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black) drums, it ends up on this side:
    [quoted image]
    Kinda like this:
    [quoted image]
    I took a close look for color accuracy and density.
    [quoted image]
    Everything looked fantastic, so it got my signature of approval. Once the stack for that particular signature is complete, the giant brick of paper is set aside to dry before printing on the other side.
    [quoted image]
    As I mentioned, covers were being printed on another giant press. Here they are being spit-out in rapid succession:
    [quoted image]
    Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the grand and glorious bar code for our book (located on the inside-front cover) wasn't printing appropriately. I created the file so that the barcode was completely thresholded and essentially printing in binary, either black or nothing. Translated, that means it was set up to have SUPER sharp edges, but it was printing with halftoned edges (a bunch of little dots on all edges of the bar code). I had a copy of the first printing handy and showed them that the identical file printed with nice crisp edges on the bar code. To make a long and boring story short, the pre-press fellow worked it out, created a new black plate, replaced that new black plate on the press that was printing the covers, printed a few new copies, and the new plate had the covers looking fabulous!
    [quoted image]
    ...which warranted another signature of approval:
    [quoted image]
    All this to say, if it's at all possible, I like to be present when the books are running off the line. First of all, it's nice to be available to intercept any issues, like the bar code I mentioned above, or color inconsistencies, of which there were none. But it's also just a complete charge to see all the activity...
    [quoted image]
    ...and the sheer mechanical wonder of these machines at work in concert with the people that orchestrate them:
    [quoted image]
    Naturally, it's also a huge high seeing 2+ years of work finally stack-up in a tangible way:
    [quoted image]
    The process of printing Coin-Op Carnival #1 (...the second printing) should be done by the end of today. Collating, perforating, folding, saddle-stitching, and trimming, should all happen early next week. I'll update again when there's something new to report. In the meantime, I'm quite happy with the way things were progressing today. Can't wait to pick-up another 1,000 copies so that we're sure to make it though this tour with books in hand.
    Thank you, again, for making this all possible. Without your voracious support, this, quite literally, would not be happening. Glad to share this experience with each of you.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan and Nick
    [quoted image]

This is SOOO freakin SWEET to see in process, running!!!!

Thank you for sharing this!!

#247 13 days ago

That looks all to familiar. But I'm glad you chose the right printer for the job......LOL.

John

#248 13 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

So, I went in for press check at 8am this morning. The printers were running our book on their two big presses, one for the covers and one for the interiors. Here's the start with the paper being fed on the right side:

For someone who likes 'How Do They Make It' shows, it is awesome to see exactly how these books are made! Thanks for the inside peek!

Does this mean that I now have two valuable first edition copies of Coin-Op Carnival: Electrifying Tales of Mechanical Contraptions?

#249 11 days ago

Maybe it's just me, but if you were to pull a few off the stack before they're cut I bet there'd be some interest in the full panels...

/Mark

#250 9 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Scanning the background for that fancy printer that puts the white down on the plastics

Ha-ha! You sly-devil, Jim. I swear this is not the same printer, though.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

This is SOOO freakin SWEET to see in process, running!!!!

Thank you for sharing this!!

Quoted from Pecos:

For someone who likes 'How Do They Make It' shows, it is awesome to see exactly how these books are made! Thanks for the inside peek!

Glad to hear this sort of process update is appreciated. It's not a quick post to craft, but I, too, am a sucker for a process outline. Those animated gifs were all created from short videos I took at the factory last week. If you look closely, you should be able to see the pages from CC#1 zooming by.

Regardless, thanks for the kind words, Pac and Pec!

Quoted from Dayhuff:

That looks all to familiar. But I'm glad you chose the right printer for the job......LOL.

Wait, what? Do you work at a print shop?

Quoted from Pecos:

Does this mean that I now have two valuable first edition copies of Coin-Op Carnival: Electrifying Tales of Mechanical Contraptions?

Yes? I guess the value will depend on what the market is willing to pay for it. Right now I hope they're not paying more than $15, because we've still got a couple hundred first printings available for that price. We just wanted to be sure we weren't in a rush to print more near the end of the tour. Right now I'm on summer break from teaching, so things are a little slower in my life, making it a good time to handle all these logistics and not get ourselves in a potentially sticky situation (tour stops with no books).

Quoted from MarkG:

Maybe it's just me, but if you were to pull a few off the stack before they're cut I bet there'd be some interest in the full panels...

Funny you should mention that...

IMG_20190514_114741759 (resized).jpg

...guess what will be decorating my office walls in the new academic year.

- --- ----- --- -

RE-PRINT UPDATE

Regarding this week's update, yesterday I was taking care of credit card info, resale license, and other titillating payment logistics with the printer. Today, I was told that the books just got off the folder and should be ready for pick-up by Thursday. We're not in a rush on this, as we still have a number of first printings. ...but it's awfully nice not to be sweating a deadline. Woo!

- --- ----- --- -

IN THE NEWS

Finally, I wanted to mention some more great pieces of recognition:

1) Yesterday,

Coin-Op Carnivalwas mentioned on the "This Week in Pinball Podcast" (episode #46 around the 70:30 mark - https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-46-with-dennis-kriesel/ ) and new regular co-host, Dennis Kriesel, had some awfully nice things to say. Here's a highlight:

"Hard take from me; I think this will be in the top 3, for sure, of favorite pinball publications of 2019. And I think it seriously has a very good chance of winning."

Wow! Dennis dennisk Kriesel, thanks for the preemptive vote of confidence! Sincerely, after spending as much time as we have on this passion project publication, that means A LOTto us. Thank you.

2) Then, today, a mention on the TWIP website itself appeared:

twip051419 (resized).jpg

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-may-7th-2019-2/

^^^ If you scroll about half-way down that page, you'll see the nice mention and the call to action from TWIP Founder, Jeff pin2d Patterson.

Many thanks for all the positive reactions and support! We really appreciate it. And while we might not post daily here, we do check our email quite frequently and typically respond within 24 hours. So, if you ever run into any difficulties, we're happy to hear from you, too!

Until some more books roll off the line, we hope this finds everyone well!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.00
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6.00
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside