Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stampede 1977 - Coin Mech (2) (resized).jpg
Stampede 1977 - Coin Mech (1) (resized).jpg
Stampede 1977 - Coin Mech (3) (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I recently acquired a 1977 Stern's Stampede. This is a two player game. The door is on the front but the coin mech's are missing from the inside. There is a harness that is attached to the door and runs into the cabinet. All of these wires seem to be in tact except for two that are severed.

My questions are:
1. do I need the coin mech's working properly for the game to operate properly?
2. I would like to replace the coin mech's even if it's not necessary for functionality... where can I find what I need?
3. I've seen complete door units with the coin mech's and harness available, but how compatible are these from year to year? One I saw available has three slots (two outer quarters and a center dollar) whereas my unit only has the two slots (quarters). Can this be straight swapped or do I need to remove the donor parts and assemble in my machine?

*Side note: I have not fired up this machine at all, only cleaned it a little and waiting to pick up the proper fuses and grounded plug before I plug it in for the first time. Also, I am a very mechanically minded individual but have zero experience repairing/ restoring electronics.

Stampede 1977 - Coin Mech (3) (resized).jpg

Stampede 1977 - Coin Mech (1) (resized).jpg

Stampede 1977 - Coin Mech (2) (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

You don't need them as the machine can be set to a kind of freeplay. I do like having them though and would aim to restore as/when.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#3 1 year ago

1. No. Jumper the "credits remaining" switch on the credit unit to permanently closed and away you go. Make sure your credit switch wires aren't shorting or you'll get the score motor continuously running, and credits continually adding, if that circuit is powered at the given time.

2. Might not be worth the effort especially as a newbie. They're a pain in the ass. None the less, since this is a later game that doesn't take dimes or nickels, they're easy to come by due to the arcade period after this which of course also used quarters. Millions of those are around. Check eBay for "quarter coin mech". The metal ones would be original but the plastic ones may even fit. (You'll need to assure both fit, no help there, sorry - use at your own risk) You'll also need to replace your credit switches as they are gone too. Looks like an annoying task but if you want to do it, understandable, it's a labor of love.

3. Dollars were used during the solid-state (computer) era. Those coins were made from 1979 to 1981. 1979 was when Gottlieb rolled off their last EM which is insanely rare and was probably never ACTUALLY released, while Bally and Williams were already light-years ahead of them and had been making solid-state games for years (and assumably Stern as well, who had bought out Chicago Coin a few years earlier), so needless to say they were definitely were NOT making any EMs anymore. So, this slot wouldn't be applicable to your machine and would likely behave as a quarter slot, and that's one you put the EM connector on it rather than the solid-state one. Between machine, a lot of them are the same and a lot of them aren't - meaning the connector in particular, not the door - they're pretty standard. Most of the Stern style doors that LOOK exactly the same (minus coin slots) should fit, just use your judgement, as no, it doesn't get more complicated.

Compare wire colors and each door's connector and if needed rewire the NEW door to match the OLD one. DO NOT rewire the cabinet, please.

Also, if you're taking the easy route as mentioned and replacing the door, keep "Chicago Coin EM coin door" in your search as well. Because when Stern bought out Chicago Coin they stole their coin door design and they'll be a direct match as well. I think Chicago Coin even used them on their EM arcade games so that's even more of a population you'll have to your advantage. They were all pretty crappy games (the Chicago Coin ones, not beating on your Stern necessarily) - so they get parted out a lot too, another thing to your advantage.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies. All good information and more or less what I expected to hear. I'll look into getting the game running via the free play option then tackle the replacement door when I've gotten my feet wet.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from bostian:

I'll look into getting the game running via the free play option then tackle the replacement door when I've gotten my feet wet.

Good plan. your door is missing a lot of parts besides two coin mechs.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 109.99
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 49.00
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 96.77
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 159.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 109.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 349.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside