(Topic ID: 318980)

Coin Lockout Relay Coils. Replace or Remove?

By HondoMonkey

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams_STD-16A_Important_Notice (resized).jpg
DSC_0369 (resized).JPG
DSC_0368 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone. I'm wrapping up a High Speed project and wanted to make sure my coin door was functioning properly, or just simply remove the coils all together.

In short, one of my lockout relay coils is missing (right) and the other is questionable/not currently working (left). I've temporarily zip-tied the lockout mechanism together and am tracing back the power to them, but would like to either properly fix the problem or just remove the coils all together and keep them zip-tied open. The coil wrapper is missing from the "questionable" one, so narrowing down the part number for a replacement has been tricky. Thankfully, pinballdaveh noted that the original coil is p/n 404603-2, but is unavailable at this point.

So...Wondering if:

1. Is there an acceptable/reasonable alternative for the original part that would work? Or...

2. Is it just easier to remove the coils completely, wrap the wires, and leave it zip-tied (any real drawbacks to this)?

As always, I truly appreciate the input and help.

DSC_0368 (resized).JPGDSC_0368 (resized).JPGDSC_0369 (resized).JPGDSC_0369 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

I prefer to get things like that working. The sound and light show associated with the coin drop are part of the experience.

Keeping the full functionality of a machine that might go back out on location, even for a short while is also worth the effort IMO.

#3 1 year ago

The purpose of lockout coil is to reject inserted coins if power is off or the credits are at maximum. If you can live without that feature, I suggest disconnecting the coil and zip-tie the armature so that coin mechs work. Keep all parts in place, just cut the coil wire, so that it is easy to put back in working condition again.

#4 1 year ago

I just remove the single wire on the coil lug. Typically those things buzz incessantly when powered on. If you plan on running quarters through, you can always remove the reject bar.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from EEE:

I prefer to get things like that working. The sound and light show associated with the coin drop are part of the experience.
Keeping the full functionality of a machine that might go back out on location, even for a short while is also worth the effort IMO.

Totally agree, but this does not seem to affect the credit recognition (lights/sounds/etc). All of that is working exactly as it should. Trying to determine why this is really even necessary, other than a player losing a quarter if they happen to put a coin in when powered off (seems unlikely). I, too, like keeping it as close to original as possible, but this one is not making much sense to me.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The purpose of lockout coil is to reject inserted coins if power is off or the credits are at maximum. If you can live without that feature, I suggest disconnecting the coil and zip-tie the armature so that coin mechs work. Keep all parts in place, just cut the coil wire, so that it is easy to put back in working condition again.

Think I'm leaning towards agreeing with you and @schudel5. The lockout coil just seems a bit irrelevant, as I'm not really understanding a difference in having an additional coil for the sole purpose of coins being automatically rejected if the game is powered off. Just want to make sure I'm not missing some other kind of purpose here for that mechanism.

#7 1 year ago

I remember having a Bally game, Xenon I think, where the coin lockout relay would also click on and off during some particular part in the game, when something else was firing off, something like that. For some reason in the code, I dunno. But if I suddenly stopped hearing it go off when it was supposed to I think I'd have to fix it.

#8 1 year ago

If the game is at home on free play, disconnect brown and gray (ground) wire. It's constantly energized when the game is turned on, so you're wasting the power used on it. Not necessary at home.

Schematic shows another unidentified coil also on that circuit. May be power for optional ticket dispenser or a counter. Nothing else on the coin door should be attached to those wires.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I remember having a Bally game, Xenon I think, where the coin lockout relay would also click on and off during some particular part in the game, when something else was firing off, something like that.

With Ballys, it usually happens when there's something going on that can't be interrupted, otherwise the coin would get swallowed without adding a credit. Common in earlier Ballys during bonus countdown or playing some melody, etc, you'll hear the coin lockout relay clicking off and then back on when it's ready.
I'm probably one of the few that likes hearing the coin lockout coil clicking.

#10 1 year ago

Yes Bally games do that and I also like the clicking. But High Speed and other Williams games only release coin lockout when credits are maxed, and maybe in later games at slam tilt - not sure about that, system 3-6 don't.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from HondoMonkey:

I'm not really understanding a difference in having an additional coil for the sole purpose of coins being automatically rejected if the game is powered off.

I guess that's to prevent players being getting mad if they accidentally put a coin in game powered off.

This comes from EM times, when the game at power on was operational but all lights were off until left flipper button was pressed or game started via either start button or coin insertion. Probably to save electricity, this feature was popular at early 70's during energy crisis. There was even a notice inside cabinet, that the location owner should be instructed that he can easily put the game in power save by tapping or kicking bottom of cabinet. A switch then opened circuit to "lock" relay, turning illumination off but leaving the game ready to play (and coin lockout energized, of course!)

Image from Inkochnito's site:

Williams_STD-16A_Important_Notice (resized).jpgWilliams_STD-16A_Important_Notice (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from HondoMonkey:

I'm not really understanding a difference in having an additional coil for the sole purpose of coins being automatically rejected if the game is powered off. Just want to make sure I'm not missing some other kind of purpose here for that mechanism.

Just incase you missed @tuukka's original comment, the coin lockout coil is also there to reject coins once maximum credits are reached.

Quoted from Tuukka:

The purpose of lockout coil is to reject inserted coins if power is off or the credits are at maximum.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Just incase you missed Tuukka's original comment, the coin lockout coil is also there to reject coins once maximum credits are reached.

Oh, yes, I caught that part. While the game is currently on free play (home use), I'm certainly up to putting it back to the original. And I believe this is part # 904218-696, according to https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=904218-696 . I just can't seem to find a couple coin lockout coils @ 42 vdc and 460 Ohm. Is there an available part that would actually work as a replacement? Any suggestions?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-lockout-relay-coils-replace-or-remove?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.