Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by misterschu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Free Play or Coin Drop”

• Free Play 15 votes
      63%
    • Coin Drop 9 votes
      38%

(24 votes)

#1 1 year ago

Which do you prefer and why? Pros and Cons?
    Not saying one is better than the other, just curious on other opinions and thoughts

I prefer Coin Drop mainly due to Intrinsic value that is assigned with each game with the pay per play relationship

Free Play Pros:
    Frequency and variety of games you can play.
    Pinball is exposed to more casuals
    Free Play Cons:
    Games and balls not feeling as important due to the lack of investment both mentally and financially.
    Machines take a bigger toll/wear and tear
    Missing Replay and Match Awards

Coin Drop Pros:
    Machines in better Condition (Depending on Operator)
    Balls feel more important
    Coin Drop Cons:
    Value perception
    Bad user experience if games improperly working

#2 1 year ago

Games I have on location: coin drop.
    Games I have in my gameroom: free play

I don't like going to a location where games are set to free play. Most are all on 4-player games with the ball sitting in the shooter lane on player 2 ball 2.

#3 1 year ago

yes location coin drop , home free play

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I don't like going to a location where games are set to free play. Most are all on 4-player games with the ball sitting in the shooter lane on player 2 ball 2.

This

#5 1 year ago

Personally I don't see many pros for Coin Drop.

Quoted from fuzz:

Missing Replay and Match Awards...

One thing that always amazes me is the relationship betwixt pinsiders & the match/replay feature Missing it, adding knockers to hear it etc

#6 1 year ago

I'm on coin drop. At home.

I'm freakin' INSANE... But it's a great way to save lose pocket change and smaller bills. When it's collection time? JACKPOT!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Unfortunately this is usually how all the games are at my friends free play arcade.

#8 1 year ago

For me, when its pay for play, i certainly feel incentivized to win some free games. It adds a little more satisfaction hearing that knocker.

#9 1 year ago

I'm on coin drop.

But that's just me.

LTG : )

#10 1 year ago

I’m I’m by myself on location coin drop, I can play all night for a couple bucks.
    If I’m with my kids, free play. Last time I went to a coin drop location with them $10 in quarters was gone before I was done with my first game!
    Condition wise I’ve never seen free play machines in as good of condition as coin drop. Probably due to if it’s coin drop and things don’t work people want their money back but if it’s free play you just say bummer and move on to the next game.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I'm on coin drop. At home.
    I'm freakin' INSANE... But it's a great way to save lose pocket change and smaller bills. When it's collection time? JACKPOT!

100%

Quoted from curban:

For me, when its pay for play, i certainly feel incentivized to win some free games. It adds a little more satisfaction hearing that knocker.

For Sure

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

If I’m with my kids, free play. Last time I went to a coin drop location with them $10 in quarters was gone before I was done with my first game!

That is why about 1/3rd of my 22 pins are cheaper. So kids can have fun and parents don't go broke in the process. Not every parent can put their kids in front of 75¢ or dollar games. Some can.

I try to have something for everybody.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That is why about 1/3rd of my 22 pins are cheaper. So kids can have fun and parents don't go broke in the process. Not every parent can put their kids in front of 75¢ or dollar games. Some can.
    I try to have something for everybody.

Same Here, at our location we have 16 pinball machines

New Sterns 1.00
    DMD Stern/Bally/Williams/Gottlieb .50
    EM .25

We also have some arcade1ups

#14 1 year ago

I prefer coin drop, going for the replay score game after game so i can play all night for a dollar or two is much more fun than knowing I can just hit the start button if I drain.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-drop-vs-free-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.