Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jellikit
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

make_it_so.png
    bop_and_mousin (resized).jpg
    20160516_204227 (resized).jpg
    20160516_204436 (resized).jpg
    10847501_10153161794925984_6644473577705996490_o (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

At 2015 Midwest Gaming Classics there was a BoP 2.0. Thought it was fantastic due to two things:
    -Coin door subwoofer (no coin slots)
    -Tilt bobber camera

Does this door/subwoofer exist to purchase or plans to make one? I thought it was great to feel the bass.

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

At 2015 Midwest Gaming Classics there was a BoP 2.0. Thought it was fantastic due to two things:
    -Coin door subwoofer (no coin slots)
    -Tilt bobber camera
    Does this door/subwoofer exist to purchase or plans to make one? I thought it was great to feel the bass.

I think this would cause my man parts to wake up if I played this.

I love the tilt bob cam though...cool!

#3 7 years ago

Why on the coin door? Theres so much space in the cabinet that you could easily fit a 10" woofer underneath.

#4 7 years ago

So you feel it in your pants.

#5 7 years ago

There is a special mode when the coin door subwoofer activates. The mode is called "The Brown Note".

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

So you feel it in your pants.

I heard that's a feature of BOP 2.0 with or without the subwoofer

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

There is a special mode when the coin door subwoofer activates. The mode is called "The Brown Note".

The match/replay note Maybe they'll compete with Stern to make the loudest most violent noise ever

#8 7 years ago

Ha, glad you enjoyed it! (That's mine.) It was a design challenge to myself; figure out a way to add a really large sub to a game in a reversible way. (...don't get me started on what typical sub kits do wrong!) Only way I could figure out to do it reversibly with no cabinet modifications was to lose the coin door entirely.

I actually did two machines with sub doors, my Mousin' Around and my BoP (back when it was BoP1). I briefly explored the idea of producing kits to make them, but quickly came to the conclusion it wasn't economically feasible. Part of the problem is that you *have to* put a big amp behind it, which means a big power supply for that. Second part of the problem is just the plastic blank itself; it's like $40 or so, then you immediately cut a hole in it of nearly its whole size and throw it away. It's one thing if you're building it for yourself and don't *really care* how much money you're dumping into it, it's another if you're buying it off the shelf; nobody wants to pay $400+ for a coin door subwoofer.

As for the tilt cam, that was basically a joke and small dig at Jason Werdrick. Since BoP2 is already running windows underneath the hood, it's simple to hook up a webcam and run it in a background window. Then repurpose one of the coin slot lights that you previously lost (since you know, the inside of the cabinet is DARK!) and Bob's your uncle... tilt cam! Truth is I almost never bother putting up the tilt cam when it's just *me* playing.

10847501_10153161794925984_6644473577705996490_o (resized).jpg10847501_10153161794925984_6644473577705996490_o (resized).jpg

20160516_204436 (resized).jpg20160516_204436 (resized).jpg

20160516_204227 (resized).jpg20160516_204227 (resized).jpg

bop_and_mousin (resized).jpgbop_and_mousin (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

nobody wants to pay $400+ for a coin door subwoofer.

I see where you are coming from, but in a world where people will pay $100 for a plastic toy and $150 for a speaker upgrade, $400 for a well done subwoofer doesn't sound too far off.

#11 7 years ago

I want to make one if you dont mind sharing whats needed or how you did it. Its pretty slick and beats having a pointless coindoor.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Why on the coin door? Theres so much space in the cabinet that you could easily fit a 10" woofer underneath.

A few different reasons, actually. (I've done many games adding a larger speaker to the cabinet, for what it's worth.)

1. Cabinet placement for a woofer, as far as actual speakers go, is atrocious. It's 90 degrees out of phase with the panel speakers, and not in a way that you can correct with electronics; it's physically at a right angle to the panel speakers. The result is that in the crossover region you get lots of humps and valleys of uneven response.
    2. You have to cut the cabinet in order for it to be worth adding a large speaker to the cabinet. Yes I know people sell adapter plates to fit larger speakers over smaller holes, but the long and the short of it is if you don't cut the cabinet hole to the correct size you might as well use a smaller speaker to begin with; you're just wasting power shouting a cone directly into wood.
    3. It's easily reversible! Unbolt it, unhook it, and it's like it was never there!
    4. The power is concentrated right where you want it -- at the player. Yeah you're going to be lighting up the room as well, but the main point is the player; it should be most prominent there.
    5. I wasn't using those coin slots anyway.

#13 7 years ago

That's nuts......literally!!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

I see where you are coming from, but in a world where people will pay $100 for a plastic toy and $150 for a speaker upgrade, $400 for a well done subwoofer doesn't sound too far off.

Ha, maybe I should start a kickstarter?

#15 7 years ago

That's BADASS!

#16 7 years ago

When you crank it up, does it make the balls vibrate on the table ? (no pun intended)

I could see this think making for some wacky play

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

Ha, maybe I should start a kickstarter?

I'm in!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

» YouTube video

My thoughts exactly when I typed my response! LOL.

Interesting idea for sure.

#19 7 years ago

Turn the bass up big time. I bet a lot more wife's and girlfriends would play more often.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Turn the bass up big time. I bet a lot more wife's and girlfriends would play more often.

#21 7 years ago

make_it_so.pngmake_it_so.png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-subwoofer?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.