Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05122.JPG
WF.jpeg
rustthough-hammr-180h.jpg
images.jpeg
#1 12 years ago

I am repainting the coin door on my system 80b Gottlieb, Gold wings. It has a pebbled (not hammered) appearance. Does anyone know what it is called? Walmart doesn't carry it. Haven't gone to Lowes or HD yet.

Thanks,
Dan

#3 12 years ago

I'm a noob to the whole pinball repair thing but could it be texture coat? If it is, I would use SEM Texture Coating. I do autobody work and if I have to use a spray can, SEM is the only brand I'll use. It lays down like a gun finish and lasts forever.

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#4 12 years ago

Thanks. Not sure about SEM's texture coating but if it is similar to Rustoleum's then it is not the correct one. What I need is more bumpy. But it seems they sell this at OReillys so I will check it out.

#5 12 years ago

Here is what I use for reference SC...
Brian Kelly does a great job with this door.

#6 12 years ago

Thanks Nimble. The problem is the paint texture on the Gottlieb is not the same as on the Williams. The Gottlieb texture kind of reminds me of very rough sand paper which has been painted over.

#7 12 years ago

Ahhh,
Now I see, kind of a stone finish with gloss over it.
Krylon makes two different textures for that style finish, you might have to do a final gloss black coat over the hammered to get the same results from the GW door.

rustthough-hammr-180h.jpgrustthough-hammr-180h.jpg WF.jpegWF.jpeg DSC05122.JPGDSC05122.JPG

I would play with the two (maybe combined?) to get the desired results. (I think the hammered "Rust Tough" sprayed from a distance would be the best choice.)
Good luck SC!

#8 12 years ago

Yeah, kinda looks like painted Granite. Will have to check out the Wrinkle. Hammered is not right.

#9 12 years ago

Wrinkled works too...
I didn't find too many "good" examples of a new door off of the GW, so I took a stab at it.
Lots of experimenting is always best with these specific finishes.
Most of the doors I saw were almost flat black from years of wear.
Well, good luck again SC, I'm sure you'll club it out of the park...

Krylon also makes a "Fusion" textured paint but I have never tried it.

This place has a couple of different styles as well. (On the left hand side menu.)
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/hammerite.aspx

They had another wrinkle finish made by VHT called "Wrinkle Plus"...

#10 12 years ago

Couldn't find any wrinkled finish so not sure if it is the right stuff.
I ended up using Valspar stone finish and then covered it with BBQ black. It isn't perfect as it is a little too rough but it looks decent.

#11 12 years ago

Saw the coin door on this thread and it seems the Wrinkled is the correct finish. Will have to go to the Harley store and see if they sell it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coating-project?replies=23#post-192637

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.