Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a Shadow pinball that is making the "bong" sounds and displaying the Coin Door Open Disabling High Power message during game play. The coin door is indeed shut and the high power never seems to be turned off. It is an intermittent occurrence that sometimes does not happen at all, during the course of a game. When it does happen it lasts from half a "bong" up to several seconds. The game seems to continue as normal, otherwise. I replaced the interlock switches to no avail. Any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

I suppose you could always bend the metal flap on the coin door that pushes the switch closed, a little more.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I suppose you could always bend the metal flap on the coin door that pushes the switch closed, a little more.

Or tighten the screws.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Or tighten the screws.

No screws, it's welded on Shadow.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I have tried to do this. I have lifted the playfield and closed the door just so I could get a look at the metal plate position. I am fairly certain the switches are engaged. I thought this might be a ground issue but I would expect that the high power would indeed be turned off, if that were the case, but all of the solenoids fire as usual.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I have tried to do this. I have lifted the playfield and closed the door just so I could get a look at the metal plate position. I am fairly certain the switches are engaged. I thought this might be a ground issue but I would expect that the high power would indeed be turned off, if that were the case, but all of the solenoids fire as usual.

Forget the high power, it's working. Different switch.

Work on the memory protect. Wires on it tight ? If you push it in, does the message go away ? If so, it wants to be pushed in more.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Forget the high power, it's working. Different switch.

Work on the memory protect. Wires on it tight ? If you push it in, does the message go away ? If so, it wants to be pushed in more.

I will check it out tonight. When I swapped it out for the new switch, there was a little bit of corrosion on the wires. I may not have gotten it all cleaned up. Thanks LTG!

#8 10 years ago

Hey Jazzmaster, I had a similar problem with my No Fear which is close to TS (both made in 1995)
I ended up blowing a transistor (u20) on the CPU board. Luckily Williams had it socketed in so I just pulled it out and put in the new chip, fixed.

The pic below was what my dmd was saying:
Hope this helps!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

The same symptoms were happening to me, drove me crazy!!

Sounds like you are having the same problems. If its the same socketed chip (u20) on the CPU board it's an easy fix.

8 months later
#10 9 years ago

@Castro28, thanks for the advice. Pulled the transistor out of a working machine and popped it in my machine which had this coin door open when it was not open, and it fixed that problem and another problem i was trying to figure out with a row of switches which were not working.

Thanks again for the post and knowledge, really helped me out.

#11 9 years ago

U20 on a WPC is a 2803 column drive for the matrix. If that was bad; you would have had other switches on the column acting up too.

Quoted from Castro28:

I ended up blowing a transistor (u20) on the CPU board. Luckily Williams had it socketed in so I just pulled it out and put in the new chip, fixed.

It's not a transistor, it's actually 8 darlingtons. I also have *never* seen one with a socketed U20; someone has changed that along the way. U20 was always getting popped.

Quoted from jazzmaster:

I am fairly certain the switches are engaged. I thought this might be a ground issue but I would expect that the high power would indeed be turned off, if that were the case, but all of the solenoids fire as usual.

It wouldn't be ground. One of the switches is connected to the switch matrix; used to detect if the door is closed. The other just has one side of the solenoid secondary going through it. If the switch that detects the door being closed failed; machine thinks it's open but the solenoids continue to work; the CPU/driver doesn't control the voltage; the interlock physically disconnects the AC before it gets to the driver board.

At least that's how I remember all the WPC machines I had my head in worked.

#12 9 years ago

I had this exact problem on my JM, and it was a corroded connector. The battery box on WPC-S is mounted above the cabinet switches harness connector, and some previous owner had let the batteries leak on to it. That made the memory protect switch start reporting intermittently.

I did a write-up on it here:
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1737

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

Thanks Blondie, I had the exact same problem with the coin door. Repinned it and fixed the problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-open-message-on-dmd-during-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.