Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Input Switch Table (resized).JPG
Typical Input Circuit (resized).JPG
WPC-95 HV Interlock (resized).JPG
Open coin door to use Buttons (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Built an extension connector for my diagnostic switch assembly so I could run it through the coin door (bill acceptor hole) and not have to use the key.

DOESN'T WORK. Pin firmware disallows it.

Why is that? Do all manufacturers impose this restriction? Seems silly, must have the door open? This disables the coils which is a large part of what you can test with the switches.

This is Chicago Gaming MMR.

Thanks

Open coin door to use Buttons (resized).jpgOpen coin door to use Buttons (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Built an extension connector for my diagnostic switch assembly so I could run it through the coin door (bill acceptor hole) and not have to use the key.
DOESN'T WORK. Pin firmware disallows it.
Why is that? Do all manufacturers impose this restriction? Seems silly, must have the door open? This disables the coils which is a large part of what you can test with the switches.
This is Chicago Gaming MMR.
Thanks

All wpc do this so that if one of the door switches is glitching the adjustments won't get messed up. I think the 'door closed' switch is separate from the high voltage switch though, so you could just bypass that switch

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

All wpc do this so that if one of the door switches is glitching the adjustments won't get messed up. I think the 'door closed' switch is separate from the high voltage switch though, so you could just bypass that switch

There are indeed two switches on the door. One does all the HV work, one informs the controller. So the system is intrinsically safe in that if you open the door the HV switch turns off the HV, the other switch just informs the user and gets in their way ( - :

Also of note if you lift the playfield and the door is closed you can electrocute your self nicely ) - :

So maybe bring the information switch out with the other 4 and flip it to fool the controller into thinking the door is open.

#4 6 years ago

Figured it was time to search for information about Williams WPC. I find a lot of stuff about WPC-95. First, what does WPC stand for?

The schematic I found shows all the wiring for a whole pinball machine, including a "Babcock Display". Did this apply to an entire generation of machines?

Did this generation of machines always have the "2 switch" interlock? Attached is a picture of the part of the circuit that did the real work:

WPC-95 HV Interlock (resized).JPGWPC-95 HV Interlock (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Figured it was time to search for information about Williams WPC. I find a lot of stuff about WPC-95. First, what does WPC stand for?
The schematic I found shows all the wiring for a whole pinball machine, including a "Babcock Display". Did this apply to an entire generation of machines?
Did this generation of machines always have the "2 switch" interlock? Attached is a picture of the part of the circuit that did the real work:

There are three main versions. WPC 89, WPC-S, and WPC 95.

You should be able to find pdfs for each online. The schematics for the boards and generic wiring (like the power) are distributed separately from the games.

Early games didn't have high voltage interlocks, just a door closed sensor, they were added in 93-94 somewhere I think. Not sure if the later games still had two switches, they could theoretically have just had a high voltage but I've never owned one

#6 6 years ago

I thought the second switch was to protect the mpu, so with the door closed someone couldn't change the settings.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I thought the second switch was to protect the mpu, so with the door closed someone couldn't change the settings.

With the door closed you can't push the switches because you can't get there.

How does the second switch protect the MPU?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Quoted from wdennie:

Was for anti-theft.
Don't want people giving themselves credits, or messing up the game somehow.

And yes - never, *ever* underestimate the general public trying to get free stuff out of games and vending machines like this. Oy. I've seen a lot of crap done - and depending on the location of the switches.. a bright kid with too much free time on his hand could activate them.

#9 6 years ago

Oh I get it, closed for honest people. If there were something like a previous hole for a lock bar some kid (like us when we were younger : - ) would bend a wire hanger so he could push the service credit button and play for free.

Now THAT makes sense.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

How does the second switch protect the MPU?

second switch is the HV cut off

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

second switch is the HV cut off

But this doesn't protect the MPU, just the service technician. The logic is still operating as the "HV Shut Off" display says.

#12 6 years ago

The second switch isn't mean to to protect the MPU - it's for unsuspecting techs so they don't get shocked.
The first switch - the one that won't let you use the service switches - is the switch he was talking about when he said it 'protects' the MPU. In OLDER systems, that's its main purpose (AFAIK), and the term just stuck with it.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

In OLDER systems, that's its main purpose (AFAIK), and the term just stuck with it.

Did it ever do anything besides disable the switches? I always thought that's what memory (the adjustments) it was protecting

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Did it ever do anything besides disable the switches? I always thought that's what memory (the adjustments) it was protecting

In WPC, no. It just disables the switches.(*)
In earlier machines, no clue; I'm not familiar enough with earlier machines.

(*) - Technically, in most WPC machines that have the high power interlock as well, it tells the game's OS to also pop up the warning that high-voltage is disabled.

#15 6 years ago

Can someone post the portion of the WPC-95 schematic that shows the "coin door open" circuit? Browsing through it I could not locate that part. Thanks.

Or any Williams version would do.

#16 6 years ago

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Williams%20WPC-95%20Schematics%20Manual.pdf bottom left of page 4? Or do you mean just a coin door closed switch? I don't think you're going to find it specifically on the schematics, it's just a normal switch

#17 6 years ago

I did mean just the coin door closed switch. Is there something that describes how input circuits are designed? Here is what MMR shows for a typical input circuit which includes the coin door, plus the table showing all input switches:

Typical Input Circuit (resized).JPGTypical Input Circuit (resized).JPG

Input Switch Table (resized).JPGInput Switch Table (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago

The design would be the same for any switch matrix switch. Only thing to note is the coin door switches pass through the interface board.

Although, that typical schematic you posted doesn't seem quote right, there's no diode on it.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Although, that typical schematic you posted doesn't seem quote right, there's no diode on it.

That's an MMR schematic. I would assume that the MMR hardware is different than WPC hardware, and there's a virtualization layer between the
switches and what the game's software reads in the 'matrix'.

I can't help with wiring, since it's likely different than standard MMs and other WPC-95 equipment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-must-be-open-to-use-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.