You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coindoorframe0528 (resized).JPG
coindoorafterclean (resized).JPG
coindoorframe (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

What's the best way to clean the metal frame pieces that surround the coin door? I'm guessing what I assume are pit marks are permanent? Do the pieces have a finish that will be hurt by soaking in a rust remover? What's the best I can hope for?

coindoorframe (resized).JPGcoindoorframe (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Put them in Evapo-Rust over night. In the morning, rinse the parts off with warm water and dry them. Now polish them up with either Brasso, chrome polish, or Simichrome metal polish and they will look great again.

1 week later
#3 6 years ago

Soaked them overnight and polished with metal polish by hand and then with a buffing wheel. Is there a way to get rid of pitting? Should I expect any better results?

coindoorafterclean (resized).JPGcoindoorafterclean (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Evapo-rust or any other de-scaler is the first step of a 3-step process for me.

2nd step is sanding/rubbing with scotch brite (green side) soaked in a powerful cleaner to remove excess rust OR glass-blasting when the rust is too deep

3rd step is metal polising in a bench grinder with canton flannel wheel, and buffing compound for non-ferrous metals.

this way I get perfectly new and polished metals

2 weeks later
#5 6 years ago

Update. First of all, I'm no expert. Based on responses and research, did the Evapo-rust, scotch brite, metal polish by hand, polish by drill attachment and finally tried using HF buffing wheel using the black compound. Here's the outcome. Not a whole lot better in my opinion. I've repainted/stenciled the cabinet so now the door frame sticks out like a dog. What's the best way to get rid of the pitting?

coindoorframe0528 (resized).JPGcoindoorframe0528 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

The pits in these are too deep to remove.
Marco sells a set foraround $50.

#7 6 years ago

Wish I had seen them earlier. The Marcos site says they're for late EM and early SS Bally. Will they fit a Williams Space Mission?

Also, does anyone sell a Williams door skin like the Bally on Marcos?

Thanks

#8 6 years ago

I thought those looked like Williams. Are they not stainless? How did stainless pit up like that?

#9 6 years ago

You could "regrain" them with a coarse brown Scotchbright pad. Move the same area of the pad going the same direction to keep the grain in the right direction.

I've done this with badly scratched side rails (nails removed of course).

#10 6 years ago

oooooops... Indeed the first photo you posted misled me. The pits from rust must be really really deep! You could regrain them as mentioned with a belt sander (not by hand or drill), but this would take time and it'll maybe make the metal more brittle (less fat).
To be honest, I would buy new.
Marco (in my experience) has excellent customer support. Mail them for details about the product

#11 6 years ago

Rustolem (sp?) "Hammered" paint, is an $7 option with those, pitted in that condition vs. buying new.

#12 6 years ago

+1 to hammered paint. It will hide the pitting.. well at least make it look better. That will take a lot of work to remove otherwise.. you'd have to coarse sand down to deepest pit depth, then sand up in grit and repolish. Vs paint that could actually make it look pretty cool and take 10 minutes

#13 6 years ago

Marcos advises that the Bally Trim they carry won't work on a Williams (they look real similar to me) and said it's not looking good for any Williams to be reproduced. I guess I'll see how the door polishes and then decide whether to paint, polish or punt the old trim. Unless someone knows where else I could find a set?

#14 6 years ago

You could check ebay, I've bought several coindoors complete with trim in the $30-50 range. Or keep an eye open for someone parting out a machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-frame and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.