• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coin Door Coil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Oh, so the game still has plays on it, maybe you can't buy in until it reads 0.
Not like the new fangled games

I would call that one the Coin Lockout Relay. There are no switches on that relay, it is connected to a metal bar that goes across over to the coin units. When it is not energized that bar will be in such a position that coins will fall through and come back out the coin return. Thus, in a paying environment if the power is off and someone walks up and drops a coin in, it will fall right back out and they won't lose it. When it is energized, it pulls that bar over and then the coins will be taken and give a credit.

Since that one relay is on all the time that power is on, it gets toasty and can burn up. If it is not energized, you get the exact symptom your describe. I think on most home machines it is disconnected and kept off. You can then manually slide that bar over to the position to allow the coins to be accepted.

EDIT - beaten by Howard

3 weeks later
#12 6 years ago

That would make sense. I only have the 2 Bally EMs of similar vintage, Bon Voyage and Monte Carlo. They probably figured it was unlikely that the credit meter would ever get maxed out at 25. Looking at those schematics, there is no other logic for the lockout coil, it is always on when the machine is on (thus accepting coins).

EXCEPT:

It is in series with a score motor switch 1B, which means it will be briefly de-energized while the score motor is turning. My presumption is that this is done so it will return a coin that has been shoved in during the time the machine is working on the reset procedure because that one would not be able to register a credit during that time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-coil-1?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.