By mcbPalisade

1 week ago

Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by chad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Coin Door Coil (resized).jpg

#1 10 days ago

Williams Blue Chip coin door coil.

I'm trying to get this machine 100% and am looking at the one coin acceptor.

I think I've got the mechs working OK but have traced the machine not taking coins to the fact that this small coil isn't energized.

Can you enlighten me about what it is for, how it works and how to get it energized? Thanks

Coin Door Coil (resized).jpg

#2 10 days ago

It's the coin relay. According to the manual at IPDB (page 8 of 32 in the .pdf) "coin relay is energized at score motor index cam switch C, thru switch on coin relay, game relay, zero switch on credit unit, and credit button switch."
http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=blue+chip&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#325

#3 10 days ago

Oh, so the game still has plays on it, maybe you can't buy in until it reads 0.

Not like the new fangled games

#4 9 days ago

Your picture is of the Coin Lockout coil, not the Coin relay. It's purpose is to prevent coins from being eaten when they won't add plays because eaten coins result in game abuse.

#5 9 days ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Oh, so the game still has plays on it, maybe you can't buy in until it reads 0.
Not like the new fangled games

I would call that one the Coin Lockout Relay. There are no switches on that relay, it is connected to a metal bar that goes across over to the coin units. When it is not energized that bar will be in such a position that coins will fall through and come back out the coin return. Thus, in a paying environment if the power is off and someone walks up and drops a coin in, it will fall right back out and they won't lose it. When it is energized, it pulls that bar over and then the coins will be taken and give a credit.

Since that one relay is on all the time that power is on, it gets toasty and can burn up. If it is not energized, you get the exact symptom your describe. I think on most home machines it is disconnected and kept off. You can then manually slide that bar over to the position to allow the coins to be accepted.

EDIT - beaten by Howard

#6 9 days ago

The little spring holds it so you can't just disconnect it but you can wrap a rubber band around the coil and bracket to "fix" it.

#7 9 days ago

The coin lockout coil is de-energized when there are credits showing on the credit wheel. When it's down to zero credits, then the coil will energize to accept coins.

#8 9 days ago

These door relays burn up alot and i generally disconnect them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Endicott, NY
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Decals
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 79.00
$ 12.00
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside