3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by toddtuckey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).png

#1 3 months ago

Can a 2032 be used on this board? I’ve searched, and I can’t find any information.

#2 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

Can a 2032 be used on this board? I’ve searched, and I can’t find any information.

Call Stern and ask their tech support.

LTG : )

#3 3 months ago

I think Whitestar Used AA batteries. Or if you are smart an NVRam

#4 3 months ago

NVRAM makes more sense as these have a 124 year retention span and will not leak. It is totally plug and play for all DE, also Sega and Stern Whitestar games. NO soldering needed on these games.
    https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#5 3 months ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Whitestar Used AA batteries

Yes, three of them.

LTG : )

#6 3 months ago

Thanks guys. I know all about the NVRam. Customer needs the game for a party this weekend so it’s not an option. System 11 and WPC also use AA Batteries and I use a coin cell in those all the time. My question was can I use them on a Whitestar board? I don’t want to put another battery holder as AA batteries leak and coin cells don’t.

#7 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

Customer needs the game for a party this weekend so it’s not an option.

Just stick AA Lithium batteries in it to get you though the weekend and upgrade to NVRAM at a later time.

Quoted from PinWiz1969:

AA batteries leak and coin cells don’t.

The term "AA" refers primarily to the batteries physical size regardless of its chemical makeup; from a leakage standpoint there is literally no difference between AA sized lithium batteries and a 2032 (20 x 3.2mm) sized coin cell lithium battery.

#8 3 months ago

Since nobody will answer yes or no that a coin cell battery can be used on a Whitestar board, I will install one and report back whether it works or not for future cases where people want to use one.

#9 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

Since nobody will answer yes or no that a coin cell battery can be used on a Whitestar board, I will install one and report back whether it works or not for future cases where people want to use one.

I believe I've seen one done. Shouldn't be an issue since that board system doesn't try to charge batteries.

#10 3 months ago

Aren't coin cell batteries about 3 volts and 3-AA batteries about 4.5 volts? I would not think that would be a good substitution although it may work depending on the system's needs.

#11 3 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Aren't coin cells batteries about 3 volts and 3-AA batteries about 4.5 volts? I would not think that would be a good substitution although it may work depending on the system's needs.

True, however most games only need about 3v or a tad less to keep the ram alive.

#12 3 months ago

I've seen 2032s on Sys 11s before. Just make sure you install it correctly.

#13 3 months ago

I’ve installed them many times on system 11’s and WPC’s. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t work. I was basically just trying to find out if someone actually had installed one, and if it worked. I will report back.

#14 3 months ago

A lot of RAM chips will hold memory down well below 3v and even consume less standby current the lower the voltage is.

a 2032 coin cell will work fine. but zomgosh nvram! =D

Untitled (resized).png

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

Yes it will work, but why go through the effort to replace one type Lithium battery with another?

#16 3 months ago

I installed a 2032 coin cell battery this morning, and the game does not hold memory. So it does not work.

#17 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

I installed a 2032 coil cell battery this morning, and the game does not hold memory. So it does not work.

Could need different orientation or something or a jumper. I know Williams games need a jumper wire when installing a bare coin cell holder. TNT sells these for different systems and they have a Whitestar version.

https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/franks-famous-battery-board/

#18 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

I installed a 2032 coin cell battery this morning, and the game does not hold memory. So it does not work.

It works fine it just doesn't work in the way you installed it, but it will work if you get it hooked up right. Coin cell will most certainly retain memory in any low standby power intended for battery backed RAM like stern would have used.

NVRAM is looking better by the post =D

#19 3 months ago

If you use a dual battery holder (stacks 2 of the batteries) the 2032 will work on whitestar, I did this on my Austin Powers. The dual pack gives 6V like a AA, technically you should be able to tie 2 separate single battery holders together and get the same result. I think I was able to get a dozen of the dual holders off ebay for $5 awhile back.

#21 3 months ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

If you use a dual battery holder (stacks 2 of the batteries) the 2032 will work on whitestar, I did this on my Austin Powers. The dual pack gives 6V like a AA, technically you should be able to tie 2 separate single battery holders together and get the same result. I think I was able to get a dozen of the dual holders off ebay for $5 awhile back.

Three AA bats give you 4.5vdc not 6v. The max voltage on most of these SRAM chips is 5.5vdc and if you exceed that you risk damaging the chip. With the low v-drop diodes used two cr2032 in series is going to be past 5.5vdc.

#22 3 months ago

We have been using Frank's battery boards for five years now...we tested them for 9 months before we started selling them to the public. In almost every case, the 2032 battery has worked for three years and longer. And the batteries are cheap to buy when they do go dead! We have sold HUNDREDS of the boards now, and I have been using them in all our games! Todd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    £ 50.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside