(Topic ID: 247754)

Coils differ from manual - how close is close enough?

By Beatnik-Filmstar

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I was recently given a Williams Contact that I'm working on getting back up and running. I've been ordering parts and need some coils, as 5 of them were completely burnt up. In going through things, I've noticed a a number of the coils in the machine don't exactly match those listed in the manual. Some differ by the letter prefix. Others are completely different. I assume some (probably all) of the differences are of no real concern, but would like to make sure. I don't really want to order coils I don't need at $10 a pop.

Side note - I've tried to read as much as I can on this before starting this thread. I understand some things. Using an SG-23 750 DC coil as an example. I know 23 represents the gauge of the wire used and that the 750 tells you how many turns the wire takes in the coil. DC is obviously for direct current. Mostly, I'm confused about the prefixes of the coils I have differing from the manual. I've read that it has to do with which way you should install the sleeve. I've also read that it has something to do with which side of the bobbin you should install a diode. I really have no idea.

The minor difference in prefix club.
Pop Bumpers
Two of the pop bumper coils were fried. The remaining coil is an SG-23 750-DC. The manual calls for G-23 750-DC on all three. I assume there's no real difference? PBR has both available. Any advantage to ordering 2 of one type over the other?

Ball return.
The coil in place is an SA-23 800-DC. Manual calls for A-23 800-DC. I assume I can just leave this as is.

Moving target coil
The coil in place is an M-36-5500. Manual calls for SM-36-5500. I assume I can just leave this as is.

Center post
The center post mech has two coils. One matches the manual.
The other coil in is a G-23 750-DC. Manual call for SG-23 750-DC. I assume I can just leave this as is.

The bigger differences:

Kicker/Slings
The game has two ball kickers down by the flippers. One is burnt out.
The remaining coil is an SG-23 750-DC. The manual calls for G-25 1000-DC. So, what I have differs in prefix and both gauge and turns. Any issue here? My limited understanding is that the 750 coil would be stronger than the 1000. Similar to above - PBR has both available. Any issues buying a 2nd SG-23 750-DC vs. buying a G-25 1000-DCs? Would the difference be noticeable?

Drop Targets.
Now this isn't even close. There are two coils in place. An SA-3-23 750-DC and a G-23 750-DC.
The manual calls for two SG-24 875-DC coils. I assume the coils in place are a bit stronger than needed. Any issues here?

#2 4 years ago

Hmmm. As I typed the OP up, I realized something. If I wanted to just move coils around - I could have more things matching the manual. It's like someone played musical chairs here.

If I move the two G-23 750-DCs from the center post and drop target mechs to the pop bumpers, I could order 1 more of them and have all three match the manual. Then move the SG-23 750-DC currently on one of the pop bumpers to the center post mech.

If I really wanted to match the manual, these moves would leave me needing:
Two SG-24-875-DCs for the drop target assembly
Two G-25-1000-DCs for the right and left kickers.
One G-23-750-DC for the 3rd pop bumper.

With extra SG-23-750-DC and SA-3-23-750-DC coils on hand for the parts bin.

I don't really mind switching the coils around if there's any real benefit. Any opinions on this? Or should i just leave the drops assembly as is, order replacement coils to match the ones currently in place and call it a day?

#3 4 years ago

Post #3 - I noticed that my little heart icon went gray again so I did something about it.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Kicker/Slings
The game has two ball kickers down by the flippers. One is burnt out.
The remaining coil is an SG-23 750-DC. The manual calls for G-25 1000-DC. So, what I have differs in prefix and both gauge and turns. Any issue here? My limited understanding is that the 750 coil would be stronger than the 1000. Similar to above - PBR has both available. Any issues buying a 2nd SG-23 750-DC vs. buying a G-25 1000-DCs? Would the difference be noticeable?

750 is way stronger - I'd try and get closer to 1000.

Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Drop Targets.
Now this isn't even close. There are two coils in place. An SA-3-23 750-DC and a G-23 750-DC.
The manual calls for two SG-24 875-DC coils. I assume the coils in place are a bit stronger than needed. Any issues here?

750 a little stronger, I wouldn't worry.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago

Thanks Lloyd. The more I thought about it and the more I let my OCD/Anal retentiveness think about it, I think I'm just going to move coils around as described in post 2 and order what I need in order to have things match the manual. Especially if the sling coil is overpowered - I don't need them launching the ball into plastics.

Give Prada a belly rub for me!

#6 4 years ago

I just replaced coils in my CFTBL that were not the right ones. Some were way too strong. Putting in the coils listed in the manual got my pin playing as it was meant to be. I would go with the numbers close as possible or the same as listed.

#7 4 years ago

Don't worry the letters, as long as they physically fit

#8 4 years ago

Remember, over the years, Williams has changed coil numbers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coils-differ-from-manual-how-close-is-close-enough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.