6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Bax1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bax1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I’ve been working on this r&b for a long time on and off. So here is the back story. Bought this with battery damage and had the board cleaned up. Worked just on the tester but then in the game funky stuff happened. When you go into flasher test the lion and playfield vuk fire. No flashers. So found a nice cpu with no damage that wouldn’t boot. Found that it was a broken trace and everything shows working on my buddies tester. So now I’m the game I am getting the same issue. I have replaced the relay on the pbb board and nothing. Made sure all bridge rectifiers are good. Have 38v at the diode above relay on pbb. I have replaced the connectors for the coils that go from cpu to pbb. Made sure there is continuity between connectors. So here is what is not working. Flashers, outhole, trough eject, rocky insert, rhino insert, and knocker.

Advise on what to check is appreciated

#3 6 years ago

Mikat11. Thank you very much for the reply. Continuity checks out on all of the above. Pbb all has good continuity. Cpu has continuity and q29 and pre driver seem to be good in diode test. I may reflow solder but looks good. Black and red wire have continuity between the two boards.

#4 6 years ago

I have taken the cover off of the relay and in flasher mode I activate the relay with my hand and still nothing

#6 6 years ago

You hear the relay on the cpu click. Can’t tell if pbb is

#8 6 years ago

Just fired it up and nothing

#9 6 years ago

Looks like the one on the cpu isn’t moving either

#10 6 years ago

I have 38v on both sides of the diode in front of relay on ppb

#12 6 years ago

Get nothing grounding 29,39,40,4145,46 all the others I get coil fire. No relay switching either

#14 6 years ago

Yes it’s plugged in

#16 6 years ago

Yup. It’s in.

#18 6 years ago

I appreciate the help. I’ll do some checking on the grounds

#19 6 years ago

so I didn't start a game until this morning. the lion insert and playfield vuk fire a few times then stop. about 30 seconds later they fire three more times. I did check that diode by the relay and both sides still have 38v

#21 6 years ago

Thanks Mikat11. I will do some digging. any idea why I would have voltage on both sides of the diode when game is started?

#23 6 years ago

So in attract mode getting 38v on both sides is ok. During a game the diode should only have volts on one side correct? With it having voltage on both sides during a game could that be an issue? Could that be why the relay is not activating or charging?

#25 6 years ago

Gotcha. Will report back with any findings. Thank you

3 weeks later
#26 6 years ago

So pulled the ppb board this morning and grounds on board have continuity. Connector to ppb for ground has continuity to cpu ground. Maybe pull cpu and do some continuity testing on grounds? Some coils fire and some don’t. Seems it’s a section that isn’t working. Had the cpu on a test rig and all checks out. I’m stumped

#27 6 years ago

Night bump

#28 6 years ago

So pulled cpu this morning and tested ground to transistors. All have continuity. Tested all transistors and all check out. I see that the coils that are not working are tied to different 7408 chips so all 3 shouldn’t be bad right? Where else can I start poking

#29 6 years ago

So just found a ground connector that had some corrosion and fixed that. Still same issues. So when game is started the 3 50v coils fire a couple times then fire again about 30 secs later. When those coils fire, the diode before the relay does drop to 0 for a sec when the 50v coils fire (non banded side of diode). So what else could I check?

4 months later
#31 5 years ago

not yet. I am doing a power supply rebuild and need to inspect under the game to make sure there are not shorted wires. I am hoping the power supply rebuild will cure it. A buddy of mine had some funky stuff like this going on and he put in a new power supply and all went away.

1 year later
#34 4 years ago

was surprised to see this thread back up. I did get it figured out. it was a ground wire that came off of the left ramp gate switch causing all of the issues. crazy how that can trigger such a long string of issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
3,900 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bax1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coils-and-flashers-not-working?tu=bax1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.