3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mick-Gyver
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I am about to get buy 35 coils, but first can coils be cleaned and be as strong as new? I am getting a ultra sonic cleaner Friday and thinking I can clean them. I do not want to do this if the coil is weak. Can it get weak? All they are is windings!

#2 3 years ago

They won't get weak. About all that can happen is the winding will break occasionally. If you want them to look nice then clean away, but they won't perform any differently.

#3 3 years ago

That is good to know. I will clean them first then see if need to replace. That will save about $350

#4 3 years ago

I hear this quite a bit... at worst, they'll get stronger, if they short between windings! And then start blowing fuses, of course. Rather than buying a bunch of coils, I'd buy a bunch of sleeves (and maybe end stops). Those do wear.

#5 3 years ago

You can measure the resistance of the coils to test them. There are charts on the web with ohm ratings, or just compare like coils to each other.

#6 3 years ago

The cleanliness of the coil itself has nothing to do with solenoid performance. What is your problem? Sluggish flippers? Sticking slingshots?

#7 3 years ago

No issues I know of yet. Just cleanliness/appearance for a restoration.

#8 3 years ago

Change the labels. Don't bother replacing anything other than the paper. You can clean the plastic bobbins with a soft cloth and they will clean up great.

#9 3 years ago

Novus 1 cleans the plastic up nice. Novus 2 will do a better job. For labels, just print new ones. Ultrasonic cleaner does seem like a good idea, has anyone tried this?

#10 3 years ago

Sounds good. I will let you know about the ultra sonic clean coil hopefully tomorrow.

#11 3 years ago

The only thing I would be concerned about is the aging wire insulation. After cleaning do a resistance test with a multimeter to be sure nothing has broken down and shorted out.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Ultrasonic cleaner does seem like a good idea, has anyone tried this?

I've had mixed results, some have come out and the white bobbins look new. Others looked like a dull stain.

But it's surprising how much difference just putting new stickers on will make.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    $ 18.95
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside