(Topic ID: 104728)

Coil Wrappers on Colored Masking Tape Printing?

By Glarrownage

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by GSones
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140930_232950_478.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hey guys, these coil wrappers that are printed on colored masking tape, does anyone know how they are printed? Also, is it the closest nowadays to original or is it still better to print on colored paper and use 3M 467MP for adhesive?

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CW-3072-BSD

IMG_20140930_232950_478.jpgIMG_20140930_232950_478.jpg

#2 9 years ago

We make the coil wrappers and they are made on the original spec'd material and use original wms artwork to make them ... actual printing of them is more complex that I would have ever had imagined ... colored paper was not what was called out in the blueprints as to the right paper ...

rick

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Hey guys, these coil wrappers that are printed on colored masking tape, does anyone know how they are printed? Also, is it the closest nowadays to original or is it still better to print on colored paper and use 3M 467MP for adhesive?
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CW-3072-BSD

IMG_20140930_232950_478.jpg 129 KB

I put them on every game I restore. They're about as close as you're going to get.

Colored paper would pretty much suck.

#4 9 years ago

unless they are the wrong size ... right bryan? lol

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

unless they are the wrong size ... right bryan? lol

It's still too painful to think about. You've just opened an old wound.

#6 9 years ago

I know you have struggled with it every day problably for a long time .... I would like to set you free and say we are deeply sorry (or should I say our printer rip software is deeply sorry) for making one of the coil wrapper decals the wrong size and questioning you about it. We fixed the problem and it will never happen again (probably) ... there ... you are now free

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

I know you have struggled with it every day problably for a long time .... I would like to set you free and say we are deeply sorry (or should I say our printer rip software is deeply sorry) for making one of the coil wrapper decals the wrong size and questioning you about it. We fixed the problem and it will never happen again (probably) ... there ... you are now free

Um, that was another restorer guy. I just cut mine down while swearing under my breath the whole time.

#8 9 years ago

Rick,I would love to see them by the piece or quantity priced. Got a few taxis here.

#9 9 years ago

we have them by the piece on PPS site.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Um, that was another restorer guy. I just cut mine down while swearing under my breath the whole time.

a tortured soul.

#11 9 years ago

Awesome, thanks Rick and Bryan! Im loving these, far better than my home made wrappers. I was curious about the printing. I can't imagine trying to print on masking tape, its total foreign to me.

#12 9 years ago

These things seem ridiculously overpriced for stickers. People really pay ~$2 a piece for these? Nice if you can get it I guess.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

These things seem ridiculously overpriced for stickers. People really pay ~$2 a piece for these? Nice if you can get it I guess.

Maybe a little pricy, but I guess most of the cost goes towards the function of printing on masking tape opposed to the actual masking tape or ink.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

we have them by the piece on PPS site.

Could not find it in weeks past,help and direction needed

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Maybe a little pricy, but I guess most of the cost goes towards the function of printing on masking tape opposed to the actual masking tape or ink.

Like printing on tape is different than other stickers? Seems like once you have it figured out doing them EN MASSE should give you a pretty reasonable price per piece.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Could not find it in weeks past,help and direction needed

The search on PPS does seem to be horribly deficient, but if you search for just "wrapper" some of them turn up. Note that you have to fail the search from the front page and then remove the ",Search" from the page that results to actually get a search for just "wrapper".

If PPS packs up a game specific set of the ones you need you can usually find those under game specific parts, too.

#17 9 years ago

Ive gotten to the package deals but have yet to find the " buy per unit"

#18 9 years ago

They have them on bayareaamusement as well. And yes...they are overpriced..... by quite a lot. If someone else cooks up this recipe and finds the right kind of material these are not even 50 cent a piece to make (at the printer's price point) so I estimate a set of 20 of these cost roughly $10. Now if you are printing 500 of these sets at a time....cost goes down.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The search on PPS does seem to be horribly deficient, but if you search for just "wrapper" some of them turn up. Note that you have to fail the search from the front page and then remove the ",Search" from the page that results to actually get a search for just "wrapper".
    If PPS packs up a game specific set of the ones you need you can usually find those under game specific parts, too.

Eric ... what's wrong with you are you just here to criticize. Maybe try to understand things before you comment would go a long way. It is very difficult to print these, but I will not go into it as you would just find something else to criticize.

How about you run a business and you see how things work when you have equipment, rent, labor, supplies, IP costs, etc, not to mention the hours to create the artwork and the hours to experiment and set it up. Tired.

#20 9 years ago

go for it, contact me for licensing.

#21 9 years ago

I bought a bunch for a Sttng and found no issues with purchasing one at a time. I should have told Rick to make a Kit for Sttng.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

go for it, contact me for licensing.

Am I allowed to print them with out the B/W insignia and not have to worry about licensing?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

Eric ... what's wrong with you are you just here to criticize. Maybe try to understand things before you comment would go a long way. It is very difficult to print these, but I will not go into it as you would just find something else to criticize.
    How about you run a business and you see how things work when you have equipment, rent, labor, supplies, IP costs, etc, not to mention the hours to create the artwork and the hours to experiment and set it up. Tired.

Why yell at me? Like I matter. They're too pricey for me, so I'll not be a buyer.

And you quote the post where I was trying HELP a guy find your wrappers so he can BUY them! I'm not exaggerating, the search is broken. I tried to give him ways to use it to find the things!

Time would be better spent yelling at somebody who can fix your web store search so people who WILL pay you roughly $2 a piece for these can FIND them easily.

Like I said, great for you if you can really get what you charge for them. Hooray for you.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Am I allowed to print them with out the B/W insignia and not have to worry about licensing?

Ha. I'm guessing the people willing to spend the money for these do care about the logo. The color and the number would be enough for me, but I'm not trying to restore a game to what it looked like out of the box. Just make the coil easy to identify and not REKT.

#25 9 years ago

I don't give two squats about the logo if they are way cheaper, like they should be.

If anyone wants to make some up in quantity with all the standard colors and correct lettering/markings besides the logos, let me know and I would buy them in bulk. I am guessing we can get quite a few others in on this. If you can add a Calvin pissing on PPS logo then I may pay extra

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Ive gotten to the package deals but have yet to find the " buy per unit"

They're there. Like here's the AE-23-800: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPA-CW-AR-23-800

The search doesn't seem to be able to find them individually (at least, I can't make it), but really, if you go to the search page which is here: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH and search for just "wrapper" you'll get pages and pages of results and they're all in there, but you have to page through to find what you need.

Edit: Seems if you know the WMS part number (like 16-8943-3) the search does a better job of locating them. But you still have to use the search page itself. If you use the box at the top of the page it adds ",Search" to your search and it fails.

Edit again: Found the Individual Coil wrappers section with the google. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PP&CatListingOffset=0&Sortby=best-desc&Category_Code=CWI -- Alternately you can search for a coil name, with coil wrapper and site:planetarypinball.com to get to a specific one - like http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=AE-23-800+coil+wrapper+site:planetarypinball.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

#28 9 years ago

Sorry guys, I just wanted to learn the little known art of printing on masking tape

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

http://bayareaamusements.com/ and type "wrapper kit in the search"

Doesn't look like they have the individual item available, though. Just kits that I can find.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Sorry guys, I just wanted to learn the little known art of printing on masking tape

Maybe PPS will offer an online class. For a fee of course....

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Maybe PPS will offer an online class. For a fee of course....

Sign me up! lol

#32 9 years ago

Thank all for the help. I did find them individually when I did a search using "coil wrappers" instead of " wrappers". Searching under "wrappers" only reveals sets.

sorry to derail your thread Glarrownage.

#33 9 years ago

Help hint:

when using the "search" do not use plural. Since the search engine on both of our sites, goes off of the description of each individual part. We describe an item, even if there are thousands of them we are only describing the one item hence why you can't really find items when you put an "S" on the end, it will not recognize "wrappers", "pinballs", "rubbers", etc. I know to the outside world it seems like the site is not very advanced but really it is just searching off the description and it would be weird to use plural on an individual items, hope that helps.

[email protected]

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

sorry to derail your thread Glarrownage.

Haha, no worries Sky. That's not what derailed it.

#35 9 years ago

If you can't afford the extra $25 that you might save then your restoration probably does not warrant a need for these..........however to make a great restoration job these are a must have !

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from stephenshane237:

If you can't afford the extra $25 that you might save then your restoration probably does not warrant a need for these..........however to make a great restoration job these are a must have !

I agree. I'm just on a constant quest for restoration knowledge hence the reason for the thread. I already have a set for my BSD and couldn't be happier. On the other hand, I can certainly see how people can look at it and say "Why am I paying $40 for 25 cents worth of masking tape and ink". I see both sides of the above conversation but originally the thread had nothing to do with the cost.

#37 9 years ago

I'm looking for wrappers for a Paragon. I see lots of Williams ones but no Bally. Anybody making these?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-wrappers-on-colored-masking-tape-printing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.