7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5255 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minnesota13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Working on the second of two just restored twin Fishtales. We have resolved most of the problems but have a couple remaining.

The LEFT Gate that is at the top of the playfield works fine in coil test. It does not go active when the game is
powered on. However, when a game is started, the gate immediately activates when it shouldn't. It stays active
throughout the game. I didn't notice if the gate goes inactive at the end of a game, but I believe it does.

All other Solenoids operate correctly in test and game play with the exception of one flash lamp that doesn't flash that I believe is a driver transistor problem.

I am thinking of replacing the LS3743, U5 to correct the left gate on during game play problem.

The CPU to Driver cable was replaced. The CPU is new and all chips are tight in place. The driver board is original.

#2 7 years ago

Since the machine is not at my location I shot-gunned the driver board on the problem. I replaced the entire driver chain
for the high power circuit driving the left gate coil, TIP36A, TIP102 and 2N5401. I replaced the 74LS3743 as well. Fully
checked continuity on the replaced U5 and driver transistors.

I go back to the machine tomorrow.

#4 7 years ago

Yep, The coil still comes on when a game is started. Nothing else is a problem. I will go with a different ROM tomorrow.

Thanks for your post!

#5 7 years ago

Replaced the CPU game ROM and there was no change. The left gate coil operates as soon as a game is started and stays on.

Such a problem. I give up. I have removed the control wire from the coil so the coil remains off.

This machine will be on free play at the TPF. I hate to have to pay the travel and hotel fees for a NOLA witch doctor
to fix this problem.

#7 7 years ago

All switches are reporting and working correctly as are all of the controlled lamps, solenoids and flashers. Early on we had a incorrectly wired sling switch that caused a row short indication. We found the problem and it is corrected.

This machine has gone through a restoration so there could be a problem somewhere that doesn't report. The wiring
harnesses - switch, lamp and solenoid have been removed (and cleaned) from one playfield and installed on a restored playfield with almost all new coils and apparatus where available for purchase. Original switches were retained except for the slings and pop bumpers.

There is one other problem we worked on today and that is the start button lamp isn't working. All other lamps, column and row work except this one. We ran a direct wire as we couldn't get continuity between the red/gray wire on the lamp to the
driver board connector pin. It still didn't work. Perplexing things that will have to wait until after TPF.

I will out of town beginning tomorrow until the start of TPF so I will not be able to get to the machine or post.

Thanks for posting Lloyd.

Barry

#11 7 years ago

It turns out that problem is my own ignorance regarding how the machine should function. As it turns out the game is operating as designed and there is no problem. The gate opens on a new ball launch to serve the ball to the left flipper
for an attempt at the long cast loop. It closes and opens just fine throughout game play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 169.00
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minnesota13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-works-in-test-but-is-always-on-during-game-play?tu=minnesota13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.