12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Slingshot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I see that many coils and switches have 2 wires comming from one lug. Is this a shared ground that is looped between them?

#2 12 years ago

That's the shared 50v. The grounds are individually controlled by driver transistors. This is why you can manually ground out a specific coil to test it.

#3 12 years ago

For coils, it's the +50v (or +20v for low power coils and flashers) - they daisy-chain the power wire (if you bothered to track the wires through that rats nest of wire, you'd find that it went from the backbox to one coil, to the next, and the next, and so on), and turn the coil/flasher on by grounding the other wire*

For the switches, there will usually be two wires going to BOTH sides of the switch - one side gets a row wire, the other side gets a column wire, and both row and column wires are daisychained in the same way. On WMS machines, at least, they're a bit careful with the row wires, covering it up with an insulated connector when possible (because if it comes into contact with power, even the +6.3v for the GI lighting, it'll nuke the column drive IC).

*Why do they supply power all the time, and fire things by connecting them to ground? NPN transistors (which you need to ground something at a positive potential) are cheaper than PNP transistors (which you would need to turn on the power to something) - this was likely a bigger deal when this convention was set by the first SS machines. It also makes the design simpler - instead of a drive for the +20v and the +50v, all the drive transistors just connect to ground. I think they even use the same part for driving the two in most machines. Simplicity and maintainability is of course a big design criteria for pinball machines.

#4 12 years ago

Ah, I was looking at it backwards. Thanks a lot for the info. I am just now learning some basic electronics and this was very helpful.

#5 12 years ago

Big thumbs up for this post good info!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-wires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.