(Topic ID: 309934)

Coil substitute for Bally KKN-351 relay coil?

By DK

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kk-351 pt 2 (resized).jpg
kk-351 (resized).jpg
351 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Anything else that's close enough to KKN-351/C-7800-351? I have a big order ready to send thru Marco and need this last part. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

351 (resized).jpg351 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

A relay coil with two windings and three lugs? Interesting. What's it for?

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

King Rex
This coil Ohmed 2.5, so replacing to see if it fixes the goofy issue it’s having

#4 2 years ago

2.5 sounds close enough to being right for part of the thing.

below is the schem. The kk-3316's are more-or-less like solenoids with eos switches - adding in a higher resistance hold coil to reduce power consumption.

the kk-351 is .... interesting.

the other thing ya need to know is a series relay switch will power the 1000 point relay.

it appears to be making sure that if the target or lane rollover switch closes long enough to trip the associated trip relay, you will get your 1000 points.

kk-351 (resized).jpgkk-351 (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

2.5 sounds close enough to being right for part of the thing.
below is the schem. The kk-3316's are more-or-less like solenoids with eos switches. The kk-351 is .... interesting.
the other thing ya need to know is a series relay switch will power the 1000 point relay.
it appears to be making sure that if the target or lane rollover switch closes long enough to trip the associated trip relay, you will get your 1000 points.
[quoted image]

I figured the coil was the issue I’m having:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-wacky-scoring-issue

#6 2 years ago

ok, you're gonna want more schem.

not shown this time is the 1000 unit step-up solenoid is directly powered by a 1000 point relay switch.

based on your video, the circuit keeps the 1000 point relay powered until the activating switch opens while lowering the current so the trip relay coil doesn't cook.

bad news tho is if a ball sticks in the rollover lane, that'd keep the 1000 unit solenoid powered and fry that instead.

if the high resistance half of the kk-351 is bad, you'd get the machine gun scoring lasting as long as the rollover / target switch was closed.

at least that's the theory at the moment ... anyone see something different?

per the schem, the two coil resistances on the kk-351 are 1.9 ohms and 83.1 ohms. I dunno how the thing is physically made, but the lug with the white-blue wire is common, so one probe there and poke the other two lugs to see what you get.

kk-351 pt 2 (resized).jpgkk-351 pt 2 (resized).jpg

the pacific pinball museum's king rex schem isn't great, but I'll clean it up as best I can and get it to the ipdb. It usually takes them a few weeks to process and get it published.

#7 2 years ago

if you're still in the game, can you see what the coil part number is for the ball count unit ... I think it's E-184-205

also the ball return solenoid ... E-184-213?

or if you have a readable schem, are those right?

I need those to finish the schematic cleanup.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-substitute-for-bally-kkn-351-relay-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.