Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LogicAND.jpg
74XX-7408.gif
s37sol2.gif
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys,

I've got a coil stuck on my Jungle Lord and can't seem to get it fixed. It's the right drop target 3 bank reset coil and it locks on as soon as I power up the game. So far I've done the following:

-Replaced the coil and diode (I bought a 'working' board set so I thought it was on the playfield/wiring end at first)
-Replaced transistor Q23 with a TIP102
-Replaced predriver (q22?) twice, once with the original 2N4401 and once with a beefier 2N5550
-Traced continuity on the grey/green wire to the coil (it's good)
-Tested the 7408 IC2 (I did not remove it from the board, but it seemed to test good)

The coil is still stuck on. I'm convinced it's on the board as when I unplug 2P11 the coil does not lock on. Any thoughts on what to check next?

#2 8 years ago

What do you have for a signal into 7408 pin 10? Is it high or low? This will tell you if something further upstream (such as a bad PIA) is a possible culprit, or if it is something you missed closer to the output.

s37sol2.gifs37sol2.gif
#3 8 years ago

Thanks wayout. It reads low (~0.5V) with my DMM but unfortunately I do not have a logic probe to confirm this.

#4 8 years ago

Without a logic probe makes it more difficult....But you might be able to do some comparison checking.

Here's the pinbout for a 7408 http://www.devreyapimi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/7408.gif

The 7408 is a Quad 2 input AND...one leg of each input is the blanking circuit which prevents the coils from firing during power up/boot. Since the coil is coming on, we can assume that's not the culprit. The other leg is the output of the PIA which selects which coil to turn on. So, first thing, is start machine and get it to a state where no coils would normally be on. Disconnect connector so you aren't burning up the locked on coil.

With your meter on VDC, check pins 11, 8, 6 and 3. These are the output resultants of the 4 AND gates. If these all read the same, then your problem is still in the transistors or perhaps one of the pull up resistors. If one of the pins reads different and it corresponds to your coil, then the problem is either with the AND gate or the PIA. To determine which, check the input pairs 13,12 and 10,9 and 4,5 and 1,2. You'll have to use your schematic to see which one is the blanking input and which one is the PIA to compare.

#5 8 years ago

Robert-Thank you so much for that info, it was a huge help. Once I used the info you gave me and wrote everything down it started to make sense.

Here's what I got for the outputs of the 4 gates:
11 1.708V
8 2.220V
3 1.625V
6 3.848V

As you can see they are all over the place, not really reading high or low. This makes sense as when I checked the schematics I have had problems with all 4 of these corresponding coils at some point (replaced either the transistor or predriver for all of them I think). The PIA voltages were all below 0.6V so I think this points to a bad 7408.

You are definitely correct this would have been easier with a logic probe. I ordered one but it won't be here until Sunday. In the meantime I'm thinking I'm going to replace the 7408 with SIPs.

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

I ended up getting a logic probe and confirming it was the 7408. I replaced it with a socketed 74F08 and everything is good.

Thanks guys, your help was great! I made a pinside donation to say thanks

#7 8 years ago

Awesome...good work!

#8 8 years ago

" This makes sense as when I checked the schematics I have had problems with all 4 of these corresponding coils at some point . "
.....................................................................................................................................
Bingo..... a good indication it was the 7408 IC.

#9 8 years ago

Pinout for 7408 for you:

74XX-7408.gif74XX-7408.gif

#10 8 years ago

i have only used a dmm before but after reading this I'm buying a logic probe sounds like the tool to have , so how is it used to read a 7408

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

i have only used a dmm before but after reading this I'm buying a logic probe sounds like the tool to have , so how is it used to read a 7408

Each one of the 4 gates has a truth table. Think each gate circuits as a pair of switches that both have to be closed to get a logical "1" (high) signal.

LogicAND.jpgLogicAND.jpg
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

It depends....

For static logic you can still use a dmm on vdc with fairly good results...it's ttl logic so voltage less than 2.8v is considered 0 and above 2.8v is 1. A 7408 is just an AND gate so if the two inputs are high the output is high.

Where a logic probe comes in handy is on circuits that are strobing...which means they are pulsing 0 to 1 to 0 rapidly...switch and lamp matrices use this type signal. Also logic that uses a clock circuit. In that case if you put a dmm on the signal you'll see a fluctuating voltage that's too fast for the meter. But a logic probe will show a flickering LED that transitions on/off as the signal goes high/low. If one of the inputs to the AND gate is strobed while the other input is high then the output follows the strobed input. You can see this more easily with a logic probe.

Even for static signals looking at an led on or off on a logic probe is more intuitive and quicker than trying to read voltages on a meter. And the probe itself is usually very sharp for touching ic legs vs a meter who's probes are usually bigger.

#13 8 years ago

is there a good brand name for a logic probe

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

is there a good brand name for a logic probe

I like this one......... helped me fix my MPU.....
ebay.com link: Elenco Electronics LP 560 Logic Probe with Audio Beeper

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

I like this one......... helped me fix my MPU.....
ebay.com link » Elenco Electronics Lp 560 Logic Probe With Audio Beeper

That's actually the exact one I bought. I paid $1 more and bought it from amazon. Very happy with it so far!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-stuck-tried-the-usual-suspects-with-no-luck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.