New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 260718)

Coil Stuck On - Judge Dredd

By fast1981

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 months ago

Hello

Hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem with my Judge Dredd. I have a coil that fires/activates when the machine is turned on (the START button has not been pushed). It stays activated until the machine is shut off.

The coil is the RIGHT SHOOTER on a Judge Dredd. It looks like the Power Driver Assembly transistor is Q70. The Power Driver board (A-12697-3) was replaced with a Rottendog WDB089.

thanks

#2 8 months ago

As you guessed, I believe it’s your transistor. I believe the layout is the same the Rottendog board, should be Q70. It’s a pretty easy fix. I had a stuck coil on my Taxi, replaced transistor, problem solved.

#3 8 months ago

That is correct but it would be a good idea to test those diodes on that shooter coil before changing out that transistor.Because if those diodes are bad/shorted on that coil it will blow out the new transistor you just put in.Many times it’s just the transistor but I ran into a few cases of the diodes were bad and I had to start all over again.

#4 8 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

That is correct but it would be a good idea to test those diodes on that shooter coil before changing out that transistor.Because if those diodes are bad/shorted on that coil it will blow out the new transistor you just put in.Many times it’s just the transistor but I ran into a few cases of the diodes were bad and I had to start all over again.

There are no diodes on the coils in wpc games (except the flipper coils). The diodes are on the board.

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

There are no diodes on the coils in wpc games (except the flipper coils). The diodes are on the board.

Yes your right,When I start typing I type what comes to mind and draw a perfect pic but old age is starting to kick in haha!! I see that word ‘diode’ in my sleep

#6 8 months ago

Thank you all for responding. You are all correct, Q70 is bad.

Looking at Q70, it has the following printed on it -
F 1C33AC
FQP
13N10L

There are 2 other transistors on the board that are not used that I would like to move (steal) for Q70. They are Q48 and Q52.
The printing on Q48 and Q52 is -
F 1D07AA
FQP
13N10L

Do you know what line 1 on these transistors means? Are these 2 transistors (F 1C33AC and F 1D07AA) the same?

#7 8 months ago

The first line is probably manufacturers date or factory code. "FQP" identifies manufacturer as Fairchild. The transistors actual type marking is the "13N10L" part, a 13A/100V logic NFET. And since they are both the same, it is perfectly OK to replace one with the other.

#8 8 months ago

A sincere thank you to all who responded. I replaced the bad transistor with one not used and Judge Dredd is back working!

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from fast1981:

A sincere thank you to all who responded. I replaced the bad transistor with one not used and Judge Dredd is back working!

That’s great to hear,have fun JD is a blast

#11 8 months ago

I would remove shooter coil and see if the wrapper is worn allowing coil to short on bracket. Seen it before.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Atlanta, GA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 25.00
€ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside