Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Biffbar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Restoring my Baby Pac-man and ran into an issue when powering it up for the first time...

The center of the 3 coils on the 5 post drop target goes instantly to on right when I powered up.

I turned it off to prevent any damage and replaced the coil. Powered up again - same problem.

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

Bad transistor? Or did you check them already? In the past when I had a coil energize when I powered the game on it’s been a bad transistor

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbad:

Bad transistor? Or did you check them already? In the past when I had a coil energize when I powered the game on it’s been a bad transistor

I THINK I checked it correctly. Q33

Schematics here:
https://ia601409.us.archive.org/0/items/ArcadeGameManualBabypm/babypm.pdf

#6 6 years ago

.575 on one side
.667 on the other

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Or just send you the board for you to bulletproof?

Might not be the board.

-

Pull the Coil fuse and then put the game in Switch Test.

Make sure there are no balls installed.

Are there switches stuck on? Do all the switches give back the correct switch number?

-

Is the new coil wired in reverse? Look at the band on the coil diode, as they can be soldered on either way.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Might not be the board.
-
Pull the Coil fuse and then put the game in Switch Test.
Make sure there are no balls installed.
Are there switches stuck on? Do all the switches give back the correct switch number?
-
Is the new coil wired in reverse? Look at the band on the coil diode, as they can be soldered on either way.

No stuck switches. Coil diode on all coils(I have 3 spares from a parts machine) are facing the correct direction.

I changed all the connectors on the wiring harness and thought that maybe I had a wire in the wrong spot. Triple checked and they are all correct.

It's gotta be something on the board.

#9 6 years ago

Not sure if it helps but when I pulled off the J8 connector, the coil releases...

#10 6 years ago

Replaced the transistor. It lasted 3 power ups before blowing again. Thoughts?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Replaced the transistor. It lasted 3 power ups before blowing again. Thoughts?

First thoughts: Could have been a bad transistor to begin with, then it became a coil diode issue (back EMF). The wiring to the coil terminals got mixed up, or the diode polarity was mixed up (coil was recently replaced).
Other thoughts: Perhaps too much current being drawn from a short in the wiring or in the coil winding. Is the correct solenoid circuit fuse in place (why wouldn't the fuse blow)? Was the game playing ok with the new transistor, up until it failed. Miss-marked or re-marked transistor, try another one. Something upstream of that transistor is locking it on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-stuck-on-baby-pac-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.