• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Whitestar_Powerboard.jpg
prices.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballgiant.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

I recently blew out a trace and transistor on the power driver board for my stern striker xtreme. I then proceeded to replace the transistor and bi-pass the burnt out trace. When I fired up the machine everything was fine, but the coil was just not firing hard enough to get the ball to fire. Upon testing the coil multiple times in succession it became stuck on. I recently bought a new coil and exact replacement transistor for the machine (thinking that the last one I had purchased wasn't quite right and thus the weak coil and eventual sticking on) but after replacing everything the coil is still stuck on. Any ideas? Thanks! Could it be the resistor?

#4 12 years ago

Yes. I replaced both at the same time. The coil is a 23-800 for a VUK and the transistor is an IRL450N.

#6 12 years ago

When you say "put the other lead on ground" where would that be? Thanks!

#8 12 years ago

okay I just checked and the transistor in questions has a resistance of .2 ohms and all the others have a resistance about 10.0 ohms...

#10 12 years ago

That seems very strange though since I just bought it and put it in. Could I have installed it wrong, did it come defective, or is it the fact that there's a ball of solder on one of the leads? Thanks.

#12 12 years ago

Sure. Here's a picture of the transistor.

IMG_0364.jpgIMG_0364.jpg

#19 12 years ago

Sorry I've taken so long to answer I've been really busy. Just did what you said and in fact the mosfet in question has continuity and none of the others do. According to the guide, that means it's defective. Should I replace it again? Why would it have gone bad? Will this just happen again? Thanks!

#21 12 years ago

okay just put the new IRL 540N transistor in and fired up the machine and the coil is still stuck on...grrrr. Checked the transistor continuity and this time there is no continuity. Should I go further up stream? If so, where? Thanks!

#23 12 years ago

Thanks! Are these the right parts (see picture)? Is it possible that the chip could have gone bad like that? Also, is it just the chip directly above the Q4 transistor? Thanks!

prices.jpgprices.jpg

#24 12 years ago

If you could could you tell me all of the components I need to replace that could possibly fix the problem i just want to be done with this. Thanks!

#26 12 years ago

Put the new IC chip in yesterday and turned the machine on. The coil was no longer stuck on but whenever I try to test fire it nothing happens (similar to the lack of continuity issue encountered earilier). This time however there is continuity before and after the transistor. I didn't replace the 20 pin socket yet though, should I bother? Could it be the problem? Also, there was no continuity between a higher solder pad and the transitor so I added another bipass. Now, The bipass to the pin and the upstream bipass both meet on the middle leg of the transistor...is this bad? Thanks!

#27 12 years ago

Just got the 20 pin socket in the mail. Should I bother replacing it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballgiant.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-stuck-on-any-ideas?tu=pinballgiant and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.