• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vuk_coil_bottom2.jpg
vuk_coil_smoke.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hello all - first post on pinside. I have owned my Star Wars for about ten years, but it has been in garage purgatory for the last six of those. I just grew the courage to remove the backbox so that I could get it into the basement and resurrect it. Upon reassembly, I was shocked and oh so happy to see the game start up and play perfectly fine. I ran through diags and aside from a few lamps out everything was working properly.

The next day, my kids were playing and I noticed that I was hearing an electrical hum every time one of the coils fired (not the flippers though). The hum would last a second or so then would go away. We finished that particular game and then turned it off. Later that day, I was going to troubleshoot the problem and turned on the machine only to hear the hum constantly. My mistake was trying to get into the diag menu to "flex" the offending coil, but about 10 seconds in I saw smoking pouring out of the left vertical up kicker so I quickly turned off and unplugged the game.

After researching some similar posts here, I got my DMM out and tested a few things. Turns out the coil has 0 ohms resistance so that is clearly gone and I was able to quickly find the one transistor on the playfield power board that has much less resistance than the others. After referencing my manual, sure enough that transistor, Q3, is for that coil.

Considering I have no pin repair experience, I have a few questions:

1. I see people recommend replacing the pre-driver that sits before the transistor that fried. Is that on the PPB or on the MPU board? What am I looking for?
2. I'm considering replacing the entire PPB with a new one from Rottendog. $80 is worth it to me for piece of mind and to not have to futz with trying to repair this board (I will keep this one as a backup). Amy I crazy for this?
3. There is a small black, square component attached to the coil (see attached photos - not the diode). Is this another transistor? What is it?
4. Is it possible that something that I did when re-connecting the backbox caused this problem considering the game played fine for a day or so before this happened?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and my apologies for the long post.

-Rob

vuk_coil_smoke.jpgvuk_coil_smoke.jpg vuk_coil_bottom2.jpgvuk_coil_bottom2.jpg

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from ryates:

3. There is a small black, square component attached to the coil (see attached photos - not the diode). Is this another transistor? What is it?

That is the switch that tells the coil a ball is there.

#3 12 years ago

Welcome, you'll find lots of help here. It also wouldn't hurt to put your location in your profile so someone close can help out if possible.

1) It is never a bad idea to replace the predriving transistor when the power transistor goes out.

2) Replacing components on a PPB is a simple fix. There is no reason at all to get a new board or spend $80. The only way I'd spend the money is if you were missing the board completely or if your current board was completely wrecked and beyond repair. Instead you could spend the money on a temperature controlled soldering station, a desoldering tool, and fix it yourself.

3) That is the switch that senses when the ball drops into the cup and signals the CPU to fire the coil.

4) Maybe. But the transistor could have just been on the way out and it finally went after you got the machine going again. Double check all the connectors and make sure something isn't a pin off somewhere.

#4 12 years ago

Nobody told him to go vuk himself?

Seriously though, go ahead and change out the two transistors. Sounds like the perfect chance to try and repair one of the most common pinball failures.

#5 12 years ago

It easy to do the repair. Youve already done the hard work in diagnosing it.

#6 12 years ago

Firebaall,
Had I known the part lingo ahead of time, I totally would have yelled "I'm vuk'ed" when I saw smoke

All, thanks for the awesome replies! I'm still a bit confused as to which transistor is the pre-driver for this circuit. Is that on the PPB?

Also, after replacing the coil and the two transistors, is there a good way to test everything will be fine before firing this back up and melting these things down all over again?

Thanks again - this community is fantastic.

-Rob

#7 12 years ago

The predriver is right next to the main transistor, you can't miss it. It has a semi-cylindrical shape. Check your connections again to be sure, and of course be careful about how you wire up the new coil. After installing check the resistance across all transistor legs and coil lugs in case you shorted something when soldering. Then fire it up if everything looks good.

#8 12 years ago

Crashdance22, thanks for the response - that helps. I have transistors a new coil on the way so I hope to get working on this soon.

-Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-smoke-form-my-de-star-wars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.