Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Miknan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

JD right upper flipper is very weak suddenly. I played around with the EOS switch and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm going to try and replace the coul sleeve next but I can't find the part # in the manual. It's using the red coil part # FL 11630. I notice the other coils working fine are blue FL 11629 and that sleeve # is 03-7066-5. Any chance they use the same sleeve? Thx in advance.

#3 6 years ago

I'd rebuild the entire flipper and not just the sleeve.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#4 6 years ago

Thx Vid, it may come to that. I think I have a few of those sleeves laying around that I'll try first. If it doesn't fix it I'll have to rebuild it but I've been pouring money into it lately and the wife is noticing. Plus, every repair/ upgrade is new to me and it seems like I finish one thing then maybe break something else while doing it. My dirty, dull, JD that worked perfectly is now nice and clean(er) with shiny bright LEDs, but now the crane is off, the flipper is weak, and Q28 on the power driver board is blown. Back to the drawing board. On a positive note I got to use my new unused Hakko soldering iron and desoldering gun and those worked perfectly.

#5 6 years ago

The flippers are THE most important part of the machine.

I'd way sooner spend $21 on new flipper mechs before I spent $90 on LEDs......

#6 6 years ago

Lol, it was more like $200! Anyway, the flipper was working ok up until then.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

JD right upper flipper is very weak suddenly. I played around with the EOS switch and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm going to try and replace the coul sleeve next but I can't find the part # in the manual. It's using the red coil part # FL 11630. I notice the other coils working fine are blue FL 11629 and that sleeve # is 03-7066-5. Any chance they use the same sleeve? Thx in advance.

It is the same sleeve as the other flippers. I just bought a new coil sleeve kit for my JD and all four flippers used the same sleeve.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Miknan:

Lol, it was more like $200! Anyway, the flipper was working ok up until then.

Once you play that game with all brand new "surgical" flippers, you will laugh that you ever settled for anything else

-

I had some blokes from work over for the holidays, one who owns an AFM.

He played my AFM and was just gushing about the sudden control he had over the ball. He bested his own personal high score on my machine, and took a picture for his wife.

He had his AFM for 8 years and never rebuilt the flippers - guess what he did last weekend?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He had his AFM for 8 years and never rebuilt the flippers -

Rebuilding the flippers is usually one of the 1st things I do to my machine.

I've done so many now, I could probably do it in my sleep.

The same goes for pop bumpers, VUK's, slingshots, etc.

Makes a BIG difference in game play.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Once you play that game with all brand new "surgical" flippers, you will laugh that you ever settled for anything else

This.

One of the first things I did with my TZ. The upper right flipper was so weak, it couldn't make it over to the camera. A couple new parts and an hour or so later, it's damn near breaking off that deflector tab in there.

#11 6 years ago

I just rebuilt the flippers on one of my games last weekend and came upon something weird. The coils are standard FL11630s. Blue wrappers. OEM coils. When I tried to put new coil sleeves in them, the sleeves were too tight to fit in the coils. These are new sleeves from Pinball life and I know I have used them before with no problems. Of course the first thought is that the coils must have overheated and warped at some point. But they did not look like they every overheated. I had about 12 new sleeves and they were all too tight for either coil.

So I have some new coils on hand and was going to replace them. I noticed the new coils had sleeves already in them. Just on a chance I slid the sleeve out of the new coil and tried it in the old coil - surprise, it slid right in. What the heck is going on here. Have the sleeve outside diameters changed? I looked closely and the new sleeves do appear to be made of slightly thicker material.

Anyone else run into this?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Anyone else run into this?

All the time.

There is plenty of variation in sleeves, batch to batch.

#13 6 years ago

I ran into this with some recent coil sleeves and also trying to fit a plunger sleeve that fit just fine on a Williams machine into a Data East plunger. Took a coarse foam-backed emery board and went to town on the outside of the sleeves, always rotating so that they were sanded evenly. Then once they slipped into the coils without any trouble, I used a finer emery board to smooth them up, wiped everything down to eliminate all sanding dust, and voila.

#14 6 years ago

I've got a metric drill bit that I run through coils that appear unburnt, but won't accept a sleeve.

#15 6 years ago

Coil sleeve didn't help. Looks like I'm going to have to do my first flipper rebuild. If it goes well should I replace all of them even though the left ones are strong? I just find it strange it was fine until I LED'd it out. Could I have done something to it? Couple other problems popped up too after working on it. I blew Q28 on the power driver board (left pursuit ramp) and an LED strip added to the shooters lane blew the 12v fuse. I fixed these other problems. I just have to fix that weak flipper and adjust that darn crane then I'm all set.

#16 6 years ago

Before I bought the flipper rebuild kit I cleaned the flipper board optos and reflowed the solder joints on everything on that board and now it works fine!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
€ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Creo Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside