4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I have a rescue 911 that has a coil sleeve that appears to have melted inside the coil. I noticed when I first got the game, the one pop bumper top would not push down like it is supposed to. I pulled the coil off and saw a piece of melted plastic inside. The coil is showing 5.9 ohms. Do I need to get a new coil or can I save it if I can get the sleeve out somehow?

#2 4 years ago

You will need a new coil and sleeve and find out why it burned up

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Do I need to get a new coil

Compare your 5.9 ohms reading to the expected value. I use https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html and https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html to find the expected resistance.

Also double check with your manual and/or the other two pop bumpers that the correct coil is installed.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Compare your 5.9 ohms reading to the expected value. I use https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html and https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html to find the expected resistance.
    Also double check with your manual and/or the other two pop bumpers that the correct coil is installed.

Those are great resources, thanks @yeoldpinplayer!

#5 4 years ago

It is likely physically distorted. It can even measure correctly but you will likely not get a sleeve in it again, or a plunger to fit correctly. Keep in mind, the melting point of the nylon is far lower than the temperature required to destroy the varnish on the magnet wire.

Let us know how it goes! Hope you get it up and running soon.

Andrew

#6 4 years ago

If the solenoid tests good, the right Ohms, and you can find out why the solenoid overheated in the first place and fix the problem, you can rescue the solenoid. Note, however, that there may have been damage done to the solenoid that would make it easier to fail if overheated again.

This won't work with metal sleeves. If I find an overheated solenoid with a metal sleeve I replace the solenoid and sleeve.

I take a small screwdriver and put it between the sleeve and solenoid casing. I then pry and break as much of the sleeve as possible, working from both ends. I then put a drum sander attachment on a Dremel tool. I slowly sand off the part of the sleeve that has been fused to the solenoid. You will need a bright light so you can see how much you are sanding off. Usually the sleeve and solenoid are different colors so you will know when you have sanded all of the old sleeve off. You don't want to sand the solenoid plastic. After all of the sleeve has been removed, sand the inside of the solenoid with a finer sandpaper to smooth the wall of the cylinder and then clean. Both solenoid and sleeve should be clean and dry. Try putting in a new sleeve. Use absolutely no WD-40 or oil to help get the sleeve in! If it hangs up, you will need to find where it hangs up so you can do more sanding. Don't force the sleeve in! You won't be able to remove it. Often the inside wall of the solenoid will bulge and require some sanding, but test putting the sleeve in often. You don't want to remove too much of the solenoid inner wall - there's wires under there!

This technique is good for saving original parts, for people who need to get a pin working ASAP and for those of us who are too cheap to spend the money on a new solenoid. For others, buying a new sleeve and solenoid is the best solution.

#7 4 years ago

I would suggest a new coil and investigation into why it overheated in the first place. I have re-used overheated coils that ohmed out ok on a meter, and after a few more cycles the coil shorted out. Likely due to the insulation already being partially compromised. Lesson learned there.

#8 4 years ago

Just get a new coil, unless your time is less valuable that you can sit there sanding away parts of the interior to get a new sleeve to fit in. A buddy with a bunch of extra parts laying around is your friend here if you're a cheapie and don't want to drop the $14 on a new coil.

#9 4 years ago

Ok i will try replacing the coil just to be safe. I am not sure why the coil failed, I got it that way. I replaced two transistors in the driver board that were bad, maybe one was for that pop bumper. the fuse was also missing so I assume it locked on and burnt up but I will have to check the circuit for it. The game has seen better days so anything is possible I guess

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Ok i will try replacing the coil just to be safe. I am not sure why the coil failed, I got it that way. I replaced two transistors in the driver board that were bad, maybe one was for that pop bumper. the fuse was also missing so I assume it locked on and burnt up but I will have to check the circuit for it. The game has seen better days so anything is possible I guess

Sounds like a plausible situation, if the transistor failed the solenoid would’ve been locked on. The fuse is probably unrelated because the fuse should’ve popped long before that coil started getting that hot. I agree with everyone else though.
    Find root cause, then replace.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-sleeve-melted?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.