(Topic ID: 234769)

Coil Replacement Advice (C37, Gottlieb A-9736)

By lint

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi All, this coil behind the coin door (in a C37) just started making a loud buzz and the game is not restarting after tilt among other game play oddities. I have two questions as I am new to EM pinball; 1. Should I replace it with the same coil # or are there better equivalents out there (R20-5 or A-7677)? 2. Can this coil be eliminated from the circuit since this game will always be a home game set on free play? Everything I have read about the coil makes it sound like it is for coin door lockout.

Any and all advice and tips welcome,
Todd

#2 5 years ago

Eliminate the coil or just disable it. That's what I do. Generates a lot of heat and like you say, can Buzz. They're usually burnt by the time they reach this stage of the game. I snip off one of the wires and put a small wire nut on it and tuck it out of the way.

Quoted from lint:

Hi All, this coil behind the coin door (in a C37) just started making a loud buzz and the game is not restarting after tilt among other game play oddities. I have two questions as I am new to EM pinball; 1. Should I replace it with the same coil # or are there better equivalents out there (R20-5 or A-7677)? 2. Can this coil be eliminated from the circuit since this game will always be a home game set on free play? Everything I have read about the coil makes it sound like it is for coin door lockout.
Any and all advice and tips welcome,
Todd

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Eliminate the coil or just disable it. That's what I do. Generates a lot of heat and like you say, can Buzz. They're usually burnt by the time they reach this stage of the game. I snip off one of the wires and put a small wire nut on it and tuck it out of the way.

thank you, I will try that.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from lint:

thank you, I will try that.

Yea unless you are a purist and use quarters with all your games, snip off a lead. There may be two leads one 1 lug, make sure these stay together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-replacement-advice-c37-gottlieb-a-9736 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.