• Latest reply 1 year ago by Gunnut40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1766 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

The plastic around this coil is broken and I'm definitely replacing this coil.
I'm just curious if this is causing the coil to buzz when energized? It's working otherwise.

IMG_1766 (resized).JPGIMG_1766 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

The broken coil frame is just putting a little strain on the coil wire. A little hot glue might be all you need to make it right. It has nothing to do with the coil buzzing. That might be a worn out coil stop, which helps to suppress buzzing when it's working.

Replace the coil if you don't like the broken frame, but it probably won't fix the buzzing.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Look at the end of the plunger. Thes get cupped and don't seat firmly to the stop causing the buzz. I like to file the end of the plunger flat and sometimes replace the stop.

#4 1 year ago

Buzzing AC flippers are quite common. I have put in a complete rebuild kit, only to have it buzz, so just firing all new parts at it will not fix it.

Some things to try:
- Make sure none of your parts have excessive wear. If it is due for a rebuild kit, put it in first.
- Make sure everything is tight and in alignment.
- If it still buzzes, take it apart and put it back together (seriously). Mess with the alignment of the parts slightly.
- Maybe stick a wave washer in there like some of the Gottliebs use.
- If you are fully glitched out, and really can't stand it, put in a rectifier and run off DC. The flippers will be considerably more powerful and this change will likely result in broken playfield plastic, but you can ease your tortured soul knowing your flippers are quiet.

Edit: My bad, this is not a flipper coil. Is it a gate coil?

Anyway, my advice above still holds, other than the rectifier would be a much more viable solution. You could add a couple of diodes and make it half wave rectified.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Edit: My bad, this is not a flipper coil. Is it a gate coil?

Yeah, it's a gate coil. Thanks guys for all the great suggestions.

#6 1 year ago

Once you realize it’s just micro tolerances causing the buzzing. You will be a whiz at fixing this problem when nothing seems to work. My personal view is replacing is not the real solution. You are changing the tolerances and getting lucky. Do the easy stuff first sleeve etc. Then do the hard stuff. This can include bending links that steel bushing go in or making roll pin bigger by hammering or using vise to make them a little tighter. If you can move it side to side by hand and it seems sloppy. What do you think a badass coil is going to do when powered up? Just don’t over do any of these! We tend to gorilla stuff. Take your time and don’t be the gorilla!

#7 1 year ago

Oh and take your shit off the playfield before beating on it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-question-7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.