(Topic ID: 251094)

Coil Power

By Prospekteur

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Is it possible that some coils loose their power over the time???. Im wondering, because one coil of mine have weak power and is cabled correctly. Also the diodes are working fine. Normally a coil is a coil......I think theres no possibility to change the power over time. If this is possible.....then why?

#2 4 years ago

It could be damaged, but that would show if you check the resistance. More likely it's a mechanical issue, or a bad connector, etc

#3 4 years ago

The electromagnetic field strength is proportional to the number of coil windings. The copper wire in a coil has a thin film of insulation on it. If the coil has been stressed and overheated, it can melt the insulation and numerous windings become bonded together, effectively reducing the number, and thereby the magnetic strength. Also, a reduction of voltage to that coil will have the same affect, which can occur through oxidized connectors. You can test this by running a jumper wire directly from power source to the coil and see if the strength improves.

Also as the previous poster mentioned, the coil sleeve could be worn or melted causing restriction and an apparent loss of strength.

#4 4 years ago

@robertmee:

"You can test this by running a jumper wire directly from power source to the coil and see if the strength improves.".....

Ive done this before and voltage is getting down a lot if this coil is activated

Will check connectors now. If this is not the case, I will change the coil to a new one.

@all:

Thanks a lot everyone who is helping me. Im relatively new to this forum.......but this forum is definitely the best pinball forum in the world. Im happy to be here

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Prospekteur:

robertmee:
    "You can test this by running a jumper wire directly from power source to the coil and see if the strength improves.".....
    Ive done this before and voltage is getting down a lot if this coil is activated.

Not sure how you're monitoring that, but the DC voltage supply in most games is unregulated, so you'll always see a higher floating voltage with no load, but lower when a coil is energized....any coil. But if you're seeing a larger voltage drop with that coil compared to others, then I'd be looking at bad connectors and the coil.

#6 4 years ago

What is the coil for? If it's a flipper coil, the problem could be the EOS switch or flipper button switch giving you resistance. If it is something else, it could be a number of different things. Have you had the mechanism apart and inspected the sleeve, plunger, and stop yet? Pictures of all of that would be good for us to see, if further diagnosis is needed.

#7 4 years ago

I had a “weak coil” in my Bride of Pinbot under Playfield kicker. Turned out the sleeve was just really dirty and for a price of .69, I was able to return to normal power.

#8 4 years ago

Will send tomorrow a picture. Ive tested the coil disconnectet from everything and gave her 48v. But voltage sunk rapidly as i gave her 48v. Coil is for left slingshot. Right slingshot works perfectly

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-power and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.