(Topic ID: 171055)

*solved* Coil EOS chatter from temporary, tapes lug connections?

By KillerQ

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by KillerQ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14764863209301407243008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161014_175159 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KillerQ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey, All,

So, I got the coil mounted for the center ramp lift for My 1995 Gottieb Big Hurt, and finally adjusted it so that it lifts to the proper angle and height to raise the ramp up how it is supposed to (the adjustments were a bitch to make, haha).

Anyhow, when the ramp is raised (and the EOS is supposed to be engaged), I notice that the ramp will vibrate and shake a little (I'm calling this chatter since I imagine this is what people say happens to their fully-engaged flippers that I often read about).

It only does this when I hold one of the main flippers down. When the ramp is raised, it sits there properly. When I press and hold the flipper button, the ramp starts to shake in its raised position.

Since I was adjusting the ramp, I was just wrapping and taping the power and EOS wires around the lugs and then taping them so I didn't have to solder and unsolder over and over at this point until everything was proper.

Could these less than ideal taped joints cause something like what I'm describing?

I also find it strange that the flippers are causing this since they are not directly daisy chained or anything. Does this mean that optimal voltage isn't reaching the center ramp coil because of the connections?

Thank in advance,

One step at a time,

Matt!

#3 7 years ago

OK! I'll solder them tonight!

#4 7 years ago

OK, all soldered... The ramp still chatters on its own, although exacerbated by the flippers... Perhaps I need to adjust the EOS one way or another.....

#5 7 years ago

Here's a video clip of the issue in question... You can hear the vibration increase as I depression the flippers... You'll also notice that, even without the flippers pressed, the ramp will vibrate as it is switches off again.... That may be a clue that the issue lies within calibration of the EOS gap...

thanks!

#6 7 years ago

Lol, when it rains, pours... It now shows this during the test, but nothing seems to be missing during gameplay at all.... Hmmm...

IMG_20161014_175159 (resized).jpgIMG_20161014_175159 (resized).jpg

14764863209301407243008 (resized).jpg14764863209301407243008 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I am a little new to the Gottlieb System 3, but I took a look at the manual schematics to see if I could find any clues for you.
The home run and ramp controls are run by optos, so that could mean something. Possibly dirty optos. You might also check the quad opto board, starting with the power (+5VDC) and ground connections (You did the System 3 ground mods yet?)

Thanks, i was able to figure out that the EOS was causing the chattering (I believe).

I'll definitely clean the optos.... Great point!

Thanks!

#9 7 years ago

Fixed it! The ram works perfectly now!

Anyhow, it turned out that adjusting the ramp on a certain place along the drive shaft wasn't as important as simply adjusting the leaf switch...

Then, I thought.... Crap, what of the EOS isn't engaging at all and that is why it's working...I wouldn't want it to burn out. So, to test that, I opened the playfield and put it into test mode and fired the center ramp coil. It was strong and definitely had a gap in the EOS at the end of its travels...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KillerQ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-eos-chatter-from-temporary-tapes-lug-connections?tu=KillerQ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.