Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

This is my first SS game (Supersonic). We have about 300 games on it since I resurrected the game. I cleaned and waxed again at about 150 games. Now that I'm at 300, it looks like I have to clean again. I have black marks on my rubbers, the targets are developing a dirt line and the flipper rubbers are really dirty. Compared to my two Bally EMs, this game gets dirty quick. It has a new ball and was cleaned really well when the playfield was bare. I cleaned sling mechanisms, replaced coil sleeves, clean pop bumper rings, etc. Am I missing something or is this normal?

I never thought I would have 3 pins, so I'm excited. Just trying to keep them clean and good quality player's machines.

One other thing, I use Naphtha to clean the rubbers. I also lightly use Naphtha to clean the drop targets on my Air Aces. They are the original targets and in decent shape. The Naphtha doesn't affect the target symbol. Can I use Naphtha on Supersonic drop targets. They were already replaced when I got them, so I'm not sure where they were purchased. They are not tombstone style.

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Dave,
Did you rebuild the flippers? New coil stops and plungers? Did you clean under the apron, the trough, ramp and kickout plunger? I've seen just as much coil dust on games with that many plays I've just given a "once over" as opposed to games that got a full PF tear down with every assembly rebuilt. Games with a full rebuild on every assembly in my experience show less coil dust.

#3 5 years ago

It probably won't hurt them, but I wasted a Strikes and Spares spinner target with 93% alcohol. I try to use Novus 2 on all plastics - drop targets included.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks guys. So I looked and I now have 500 games, not 300. The kids are playing this machine like crazy.

Tom, I did clean all the places you mentioned and more. I did not rebuild the flippers or sling assemblies. However, I did tear them down and clean everything and adjust. I did have new coil sleeves and installed them.

I just feel like the game gets dirtier quicker. Maybe it's because the kids are racking up games faster than normal!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I try to use Novus 2 on all plastics - drop targets included.

Remember, that is abrasive. You don't need to use that every single time you want to clean things. Novus 1 will work fine.

Quoted from Skidave:

Can I use Naphtha on Supersonic drop targets.

Yes, they should be fine as long as it's a quick wipe. Novus 1 would be better, though.

Additionally, I tend to add mylar on target faces to help keep them nicer longer. It doesn't affect play and you don't really notice it visually, but it seems to help slow down the wear considerably on the drop targets.

#6 5 years ago

Keep Napatha on the rubbers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-dust?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.