Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    IMG_20180625_111921635 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180624_143538991 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180624_084210086 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180624_084235345 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Riddle me this:

Going through a game I picked up a while back and looking over all the coils. Not everywhere, but on ALMOST every basic 2 lug coil (non-flippers) I am seeing 2 diodes in parallel. Polarity is the same on each diode. Machine and coils work and fire fine. Solonoid test, no issues.

Why would this be the case? I understand the need for the diode, but 2 across the same lugs? Obviously, one diode appears to have been on the coil from jump, and the second appears to have been added after the fact (see picture).

Is this just previous owner/op half-assed way of replacing the diode (without removing the bad one), or an attempt to just "future proof" to protect from blown transistors in the event a diode fails? Is there any harm or possible reprecussions in having 2 and leaving as-is, even though I'm sure this is not normal? I see this on 90% of the coils in the machine, but even solonoids that do the same thing side by side (like pop bumpers) might be different, some with 1 and some with 2.

IMG_20180624_084210086 (resized).jpgIMG_20180624_084210086 (resized).jpgIMG_20180624_084235345 (resized).jpgIMG_20180624_084235345 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

By the way, this is a system 6a game, so diodes SHOULD be on the coils and are not on the boards.

#3 5 years ago

If it were my machine I would fix all of it as I don't trust stuff like that,it would always be in the back of my mind.
    -Mike

#4 5 years ago

Two diodes, if the same, allows for higher current handling capability. Don't know if that was the reason for doing that - I would have thought the manufacture would have just used a single diode rated for higher current.

The pictures do look like someone added it later. Won't hurt anything tho.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

The pictures do look like someone added it later. Won't hurt anything tho.

Unless it fails internally and now becomes a two way street instead of one way. This is a problem waiting to happen, you have no way of trusting this hack.
    -Mike

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Unless it fails internally and now becomes a two way street instead of one way. This is a problem waiting to happen, you have no way of trusting this hack.
    -Mike

Mike,

True - but that's also true of a single diode.

Simplest thing to do is just check the schematic.

#7 5 years ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from e.g. Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6).

#8 5 years ago

Not sure how familiar you are with the schematics for these old Williams games.....but they... Ahem....arent the best.

This is all you get for Solenoid wiring. Looks like 1 diode to me.

IMG_20180624_143538991 (resized).jpgIMG_20180624_143538991 (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Mike,
    True - but that's also true of a single diode.
    Simplest thing to do is just check the schematic.

True but now you have twice the work to diagnose. I've never seen two diodes like that and imo don't trust the idea of why it's been done that way. I can't find any williams schematics that I own that show two diodes on a coil.
    -Mike

#10 5 years ago

Lazy way of replacing diode. But on route earning coins it was the way to go.

#11 5 years ago

I've seen that when one diode is open, the tech simply installs another along side of it without snipping the old.

It's odd that ALL of you coils are like that.

For fun, snip out the original (the one tight to the coil bobbin), and test it with your meter.

#12 5 years ago

I have a coil that is sticking in an energized state which is what got me looking at this in the first place. It is the reset coil for a 3 bank of the old horseshoe drop targets. Didn't notice at first, but when you hit one of the targets, it wouldn't drop since the reset bar was being held against them. Eventually, the Solonoid fuse would blow. I removed the Solonoid, and clipped one lead from the diode tight to bobbin and it tested good. So I clipped a lead from the other.... Also tested no problem. However, the Solonoid is now swollen from being on non-stop, so I'll be replacing it anyway.

Tested the transistor (Q21) inline with that Soloniod and it also seems to test good. Even stranger, now that the coil is out of the game, I'm blowing that fuse pretty much every time I power up the machine.

Looking at the driver board, it's apparent 1 or 2 of the transistors were replaced at one point. So my thought on the diodes was that one went bad and blew a transistor at some point and a tech might have just attached second diodes all over the place so that if it happened again, they'd have a backup in place to prevent additional transistor failures..... At least that's the only thing I can come up with......sound at least plausible?

Now.... Any thoughts on where to go from here to troubleshoot my growing fuse issue? Or even to better understand what would be energizing that coil all the time since it's diode(s) and the coil itself seemed to test good (minus the swelling, which I'd assume to be a symptom and not the cause). What actually triggers a horseshoe drop target reset in the first place? Possibly a bad switch (or diode on THAT) of some sort?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've seen that when one diode is open, the tech simply installs another along side of it without snipping the old.

Maybe whoever routed the game just did it as cheap insurance (easier to slap in an extra 10 cent diode rather than the hassle of going out for a repair
    to replacing a transistor).

cmack - How did you test Q21? I'd be tempted to start with the basics and look for shorted wires, bent mechanicals touching a connector, etc. What else is on the line w/that fuse which is blowing?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Maybe whoever routed the game just did it as cheap insurance (easier to slap in an extra 10 cent diode rather than the hassle of going out for a repair
    to replacing a transistor).
    cmack - How did you test Q21? I'd be tempted to start with the basics and look for shorted wires, bent mechanicals touching a connector, etc. What else is on the line w/that fuse which is blowing?

Exactly my thoughts on the diode.

Checked Q1 to verify both no continuity to ground and also checked resistances across EBC pins. Looked OK.

Unfortunately, when you ask what is on the line with that fuse, the answer is "every Solonoid in the machine". Good times.

Since my last post, I've been busy...... Did the following (in this order).

1. I replaced both the Solonoid and Lamp bridge rectifiers and threw a couple 8Amp SB Fuses in line with them (in accordance with vid's bulletproofing thread). Both rectifiers actually tested fine, but were pretty gunked up and prior owner/op had also soldered the wire terminals to them with a TON of solder (that bastard!). I had to cut them out and put new connectors on. But now my house won't burn down at least.
    2. I electrical taped-off a disconnected Solonoid wire at the coin door and wrapped the bare-metal lockbar handle, just in case I had a short somewhere around there.
    3. Disconnected the Solonoid connectors 2J9, 2J11 and 2J12 on the driver board and powered up the game. Fuse did not blow. Reconnected them one at a time. Fuse STILL did not blow. Played a could games without issue (minus the fact that the 3 bank drops don't work since I still have that smoked coil out of the machine.

That's where I am at the moment. In the end didn't really do much that should have made the difference here (except maybe the coin door)....... But then again I did move/disturb a sh*#-ton of wiring in the process of doing that stuff..... So I'll check my wires as well to see if I have any shorted/exposed wires..... I'll report back in once I do that (and replace the coil).

#15 5 years ago

Gotta give props to whoever the operator was that owned this machine at one point.....they came up with some really creative ways to leave future surprises for me.

Yes....that is a backwards coil stop being used as the stop for the plunger arm in my upper left flipper. Grrrr.....

IMG_20180625_111921635 (resized).jpgIMG_20180625_111921635 (resized).jpg
    #16 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

Gotta give props to whoever the operator was that owned this machine at one point.....they came up with some really creative ways to leave future surprises for me.
    Yes....that is a backwards coil stop being used as the stop for the plunger arm in my upper left flipper. Grrrr.....

What is so wrong with that? Especially in a home environment where the game gets less play?

#17 5 years ago

Well.... In my case, the extra vibration this caused by not having a rubber grommet to dampen it loosened one on the screws in my flipper bushing, which eventually worked its way out enough that it was touching the EOS switch, effectively stopping my flipper completely.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

Well.... In my case, the extra vibration this caused by not having a rubber grommet to dampen it loosened one on the screws in my flipper bushing, which eventually worked its way out enough that it was touching the EOS switch, effectively stopping my flipper completely.

I don't think system7 had the rubber grommets yet.

They are listed in the system9 parts lists, not sure when they became standard.

#19 5 years ago

Well.... Back to square one. Went through the bottom of the playfield with a fine-toothed comb and adjusted any switch lugs, diodes, etc that looked like they were close to anything that could cause a short, tightened up any coils that had play to eliminate excessive vibration and checked the harness (best I could anyway) for any potential wires than were bent, broken or missing insulation. Removed one more coil that looked a little suspect (2 coils out now) for the time being. After that, fired the game back up.....and the Solonoid fuse blew again immediately. However, this time, a couple of the Solonoid fired the second I turned the machine on. That sounds like a blanking signal issue. Looking more and more like a board problem. Time to yank them and check the MPU/Driver 40 pin connector I think...... unless anyone has any better ideas.....

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think system7 had the rubber grommets yet.
    They are listed in the system9 parts lists, not sure when they became standard.

No sure either, but that upper left flipper is the only one that doesn't have those grommets in my machine....totally different EOS Switch and bracket too. So I'm guessing that was a rebuild from whatever was lying around...

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

However, this time, a couple of the Solonoid fired the second I turned the machine on. That sounds like a blanking signal issue. Looking more and more like a board problem. Time to yank them and check the MPU/Driver 40 pin connector I think...... unless anyone has any better ideas.....

Yep, time to replace that 40 pin male/female.

It will probably fix 5 other intermittent problems at the same time.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

No sure either, but that upper left flipper is the only one that doesn't have those grommets in my machine....totally different EOS Switch and bracket too. So I'm guessing that was a rebuild from whatever was lying around...

Yep, anything to keep the game earning.

If you do add the grommets, it will slightly change the length of the flipper's stroke - so make sure you check the resting angle afterwards.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, time to replace that 40 pin male/female.
    It will probably fix 5 other intermittent problems at the same time.

Good to hear that I'm barking up the right tree...fingers crossed that does the trick. I'll update after I do it.

#24 5 years ago

So if the 40 pin connector is removed, does that isolate the MPU from the driver? The driver from the solenoids? Sorry - don't know what game this is for.

#25 5 years ago

Never power up a System 7 (Early Williams SS) with the driver board disconnected from the CPU Board. Unless you like the Essence of Allen-Bradley smell that will eventually cause the high wattage resistors to fall off the Driver Board after the solder melts on the through-holes.

It's OK for 30 seconds -1 minute. If you walk away, it won't be pretty......

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Never power up a System 7 (Early Williams SS) with the driver board disconnected from the CPU Board. Unless you like the Essence of Allen-Bradley smell that will eventually cause the high wattage resistors to fall off the Driver Board after the solder melts on the through-holes.

I think I may have misquote what cmack was going to do - which sounds like remove AND CHECK the connections, not just remove. Oops..apologies about that.

#27 5 years ago

No problem. Yeah, BOARDS coming out of the machine before I do anything.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've never heard of this. What exactly happens? And are you talking about the driver being disconnected at the 40 pin or the machine harness be disconnected from the driver? If its diconnected at 40 pin then how do I see videos of just mpu being tested on bench?
    Little confused and don't care who answers, just want the education from explanation.
    Thanks-Mike

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I've never heard of this. What exactly happens? And are you talking about the driver being disconnected at the 40 pin or the machine harness be disconnected from the driver? If its diconnected at 40 pin then how do I see videos of just mpu being tested on bench?
    Little confused and don't care who answers, just want the education from explanation.
    Thanks-Mike

MPU bench testing solo is fine. MPU and Driver Board need to be connected together to bench test the driver board, since the power and signaling is all being supplied by the MPU. Anyway and it'd be pretty useless to try to test the Driver Board under power without the board that provides the logic.....

I think the reference to bad things happening was to leaving the Driver Board connect to the harness and turning the machine on with the MPU either not present or disconnected via the 40 pin interconnect (Although I'm not even sure how you'd pull that second one off based on the way the boards overlap when in the machine).

#30 5 years ago

Remove screws from Driver Board and unplug the 40 pin connector from the CPU board. Remove CPU board for service back at the shop.
    But, leave all wiring connected to the Driver Board.

Picture the above on a machine on Route. Now, lock the machine back up. Pretend this is at a bowling alley. Next morning, someone else turns the machine on. Lights are on, but no displays. Maybe it needs to warm up. It will. An hour later, smoke comes pouring out of the vent holes in the head.

We learned you pull out fuses when only pulling the CPU board.

1 month later
    #31 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

Good to hear that I'm barking up the right tree...fingers crossed that does the trick. I'll update after I do it.

Well..... 48 days later, I finally got back around to looking into this further. Long story short, I believe I have found my culprit. Long version of the story, I'm not exactly sure...... Hoping for a little feedback. @vid1900 @MrBally

I pulled my cpu and driver board to take a better look at the 40 pin connector in prep to replace it. Much to my surprise, the 40 pin connector had very obviously (once I was able to look at the back of the board, anyway) been replaced sometime in the machine's past. To make matters worse, whoever did this wasn't exactly a soldering expert. Pretty ugly job.... But the joints appear to be sound nonetheless....

So, considering the soldering/desoldering that already took place and my lack of desire to potentially damage the board just attempting to clean it up or replace the connector again, I decided to check out the other basic culprits for the Solonoids (resistors, transistors, pre-drivers).

In doing this, with boards out of the machine, I ran a standard diode test against each Tip122 NPN Solonoid Transistor on the driver board. Everything looked fine and readings were roughly identical for each one. For grins, I set my multimeter to ohms and discovered that the readings for Q17 (front left 3 bank drop target reset) was approximately 10 times the reading of any of the other transistors.... And I was getting these readings regardless of whether I put the red or black lead on the base.....

Figured something didn't smell right there.

I checked Q17's resistors and pre-drivers and those readings looked in-line with all the other sets.... So I figure nothing is wrong with those.

Next, I pulled 2J9's cable (since Q17 pinned out to that) and powered up the machine. No blown fuse. Tested every Solonoid in diagnostic mode that wasn't running over 2J9 and no issues.

Next, I removed the Solonoid for the left front 3 bank target reset (associated with Q17) from the machine and just tied the 2 reds together to allow all the other Solonoids in the chain to still work. Reattached 2J9 and powered up. No blown fuse. Ran full Solonoid diagnostics and then played the machine for an hour straight. No problems at all... Minus the fact that my drop targets won't reset, obviously.

At this point, I'm comfortable saying I've found the Solonoid that was causing my fuse to blow. But does this sound like a transistor problem? If so, I guess I'll have to order a few Tip122 (or Tip102) NPN Darlington transistors, since I don't have any...... But the test I used to "find" the issue isn't normally what I've seen done to determine a failed transistor in the first place, which is what has be a little nervous that the transistor isn't an issue, since the "standard" tests in diode mode look fine....

Obviously, I'll check out the coil and its associated diode to make sure they are good, since if not, that would likely be the root cause (or that killed the transistor in the first place) , but was just hoping for feedback at to whether there is anything else I should check or if replacing the transistor is definitely in order here. Thoughts?

#32 5 years ago

Since I didn't get any feedback on my long-winded last response (sorry for the lack of brevity), I figured I'd bump this one more time looking for feedback. Anyone? Thx

1 week later
    #33 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

At this point, I'm comfortable saying I've found the Solonoid that was causing my fuse to blow. ...

Cmack,

Sorry, this thread got lost in my list and missed it!

I don't have a schematic in front of me, and I admit I'm flying by the seat of my pants here.

One other test you could run is to measure the solenoid resistance and see if it's proper.

Also, using a meter only checks the diode at low voltage. It could be breaking down at the high voltage that runs the solenoid. Might be a very long shot, but it is something to consider (but I would think it would be damaged and actually measure bad). Nonetheless, food for thought.

Q17 - and the odd measurement... With the EB reversed biased, you should read ~8K ohm (see the attachment), reversing the leads, you should read the forwarded biased diodes. One catch is you might have to put the multimeter on diode setting to measure the forward biased diodes. Another might be measuring two diodes that's in the transistor. Perhaps the meter struggles with that.

Work will have me tied up and might not be able to check back for a few days. In the end, all the parts in question are rather cheap...might be easier to 'shot gun' it and just replace the diode, transistor and coil.

Hope this helps!
    Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

1 week later
    #34 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Cmack,
    Q17 - and the odd measurement... With the EB reversed biased, you should read ~8K ohm (see the attachment), reversing the leads, you should read the forwarded biased diodes. One catch is you might have to put the multimeter on diode setting to measure the forward biased diodes. Another might be measuring two diodes that's in the transistor. Perhaps the meter struggles with that.
    Work will have me tied up and might not be able to check back for a few days. In the end, all the parts in question are rather cheap...might be easier to 'shot gun' it and just replace the diode, transistor and coil.
    Hope this helps!
    [quoted image]

Thanks mbwalker

I think we can safely say the transistor at Q17 needed to be replaced. When I measured (black lead to collector and red lead to either base or emitter), my reading on Q17 was approx 80kohms. But on EVERY other Tip122 in the machine, this reading comes back with 8Mohms....100 times the value for Q17.

I replaced Q17 with a new Tip102, and while I was at it, removed the diode from the coil that transistor powered and tested the coil's resistance....no problems there. So I replaced the diode with a new 1n4004 and put the whole thing back together. So far so good..... my blowing solonoid fuse issue has not reappeared.

#35 5 years ago

Good deal cmack!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coil-diode-madness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.